TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB : 40 kWh Model S

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Rifleman, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

My original plan was to wait for Gen III, but I may now actually be in a position to buy a Model S, if I can find one at a price point that fits into my budget. I am looking for a 40 kWh Model S without allot of options at a price point around $50,000 (give or take a little bit, depending on options). If you have a 40 that you are interested in selling, please message me and we can discus the vehicle. Thanks!

2. dave

dave Member

Woohoo, I hope you can find one!

3. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Tesla periodically has 60kwh Model Ss under $60,000 as inventory cars if that's still in your range. Would come with a full warranty. They don't advertise them, you'd have to call and ask.

4. Rifleman

I am actually planning on stopping by the Kenwood Tesla store this week to chat with them about this. 60k would be pushing my price range a bit, but I am not in a rush to buy, and can wait for the right car at the right price. If a 40 is available at the right price, I will jump on it, as I am still convinced that the 40 is an incredible value, and would meet my needs very well. Im still kicking my own butt for not hanging onto my reservation and buying one when I had the chance (in my defense, when I canceled my reservation, everyone thought the 40 would only have 34 kWh usable on a standard charge, and would have no option to upgrade to 60 or supercharging)

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Rifleman, I'm rooting for you. Good luck!

6. 772

772 Member

Hope you find one, too, Rifleman. I'm looking for a 60 in the range that PokerBroker described, but my contact at Easton told me it was unlikely; I asked him to let me know if he got one anyway. I did see someone trying to sell their 60 on here not too long ago with an ask of $65k. Good luck!

7. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I'm pretty sure Tesla is changing any incoming 40kwh cars to 60kwh since it is the same battery and just about unlocking capacity. Doubt they will have any used ones for sale. Keep us updated.

8. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

Rifleman. You can see myself, Nick Sietz or John Van Cleave. I will be there tonight and tomorrow night. We can search to see whats available for you.

9. Rifleman

Thanks Brandon, I may be able to make it up today after work, but if not, I will be stopping by to talk to you guys about this within the next few days.

10. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

11. Rifleman

12. Rifleman

Well, after looking at the pricing on the 40's that are available on the market, and talking with the guy at the Kenwood Tesla store about buying an inventory car, I have decided to put down a deposit for a Model S with a deferred delivery of September 2015 (when my volt lease is up). This will allow me to snag any inventory car that pops up in my price range, and, if I am never able to find an inventory car, will put a brand new Tesla in my garage at the end of my Volt lease (if I buy now, my wife would take over the volt, and we would trade her car in for the Tesla) Either way, it is now official that my next car will be a Model S :)

13. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

Congrats. I was waiting for you to post!

14. Rifleman

Thanks Brandon. Nick took good care of me when I stopped in. Now we just need to find that well loved, stripped down, demo or trade in 60 :)

15. dave

dave Member

Grats Rifleman!! Is it refundable if you're able to find a private deal on a used one?

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Nice going, Rifleman! Good luck.

17. Rifleman

It will be refundable for a short time, and then at some point will lock in and be a confirmed, non refundable reservation. After seeing the pricing on the 3-4 different 40's that are on the market right now, I think I will most likely be best served going for a demo 60. Hopefully our friends at Tesla can find one for me. Until Tesla catches up supply to match demand, I think most used Model S's will hold a premium over other similarly aged used vehicles. I will definitely keep everyone posted as my search progresses.

18. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Congrats Rifleman, so excited for you. It's only a matter of time. :)

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Price on a 40 might actually go up. Tesla service is now calling the 40kWh car a "limited Edition"... :)

20. Rifleman

I still have a gut feeling in a few years Tesla will simply decide it is not worth the cost to maintain the software differences for the 40 in new updates to the Model S, and will simply upgrade all 40 users to make the issue go away. Between owners who have already upgraded, and trade ins that Tesla upgraded, there cant be that many 40's left.