Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Chademo Adapter for US Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like a very detailed “accidental“ comment to me. You hijacked my thread…booo 👎🏼

Attachments

• E06552EE-61FB-43C5-9FC4-15EFA5F35B7F.jpeg
    E06552EE-61FB-43C5-9FC4-15EFA5F35B7F.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 126
It looks like a very detailed “accidental“ comment to me. You hijacked my thread…booo 👎🏼

That was weird. And now there is no content by that member? Some kind of scam? Cancelled membership?

Whatever, take a look at my response to another person wanting to buy a CHAdeMO adapter: Possible Tips for Looking for CHAdeMO Adapter.

Hope something there helps.

Right now it appears that because as of October 2021 CHAeMO adapters are apparently gone for good on the Tesla website, prices are doing a Dutch tulip thing (Google that). Eventually they will probably crater (when a Tesla CCS1 adapter becomes available), but who knows exactly when that will be?

If it was me, (A) I would check Craigslist in major metropolitan areas in the US and Canada. CL is no longer assumed to be just local--some sellers will ship. If that doesn't work, (B) I would check to be sure that CHAdeMO adapters in Japan and South Korea will work on North American cars. Tesla customer service would probably be no help, so maybe contact the CHAdeMO Association and ask if the internal configuration is the same in all four countries that use the Tesla proprietary charging plugs/ports (Japan, South Korea, Canada, and USA). Lastly, (C) I would try to find a helpful TMC member in South Korea or Japan willing to buy one for you and ship it to you (after you pay them in advance with PayPal). I just bought a Tesla collectable item located in Great Britain (and not in the USA) that way. Have to trust the person at the other end, but TMC members are generally good people, right? The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is usually sold out on the South Korea Tesla website, and no longer available on the Japan Tesla website, but there should still be used or new ones available there.

You'll certainly have to pay more than retail (I paid $450+tax to Tesla in 2020), but if you really have to have one...

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. I’ll try those avenues.

Update:
  • It seems increasingly hard to get a CHAdeMO adapter in North America for anywhere near a reasonable price. (Too bad, because you just know there are CHAdeMO adapters sitting unused in closets and on garage shelves.)
  • The South Korean CHAdeMO adapter is currently available.
    • See Tesla website: CHAdeMO
    • It costs ₩445,000 (=$367.86 USD)
    • It may also be available in Taiwan, but in that country they've recently switched from the Tesla Proprietary Connector to the Type 2 (Mennekes) charge ports. So you'd need to be sure you were getting the TPC type plug. Plus it is more expensive there (in US dollars).
    • It also is allegedly available from Japanese Service Centers upon request. Price? Unknown.
    • So among the three, South Korea may be the best avenue for securing a new CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla.
  • But will a CHAdeMO adapter from Asia work in North America?
    • I wrote to the CHAdeMO Association. Their response is included below.
    • I believe (but cannot be 100% certain) that as long as the CHAdeMO adapter has the TPC plug, it should work in North American cars.
    • But you will want to check with Tesla (local service center) to confirm this.
  • To purchase from South Korea, I see two possibilities:
    • Use the Tesla website.
      • Translate using Google.
      • Try entering your Tesla account information and see if Tesla will sell to you directly.
      • And see if Tesla will ship to the US for a reasonable amount.
    • Contact a person living in South Korea (through TMC) and see if they will buy you one and ship it to the States.
  • Otherwise, I would suggest waiting for the Tesla CCS1 adapter to be released. (If only we knew when that was going to occur.)

Correspondence with CHAdeMO Association

Re: Tesla adapter

Jan 24 at 1:08 AM

CHAdeMO Europe <[email protected]>
To: xxx
Cc: CHAdeMO Europe <[email protected]>, [email protected] <[email protected]>

Dear xxx,

Thank you for writing to us.

Firstly, CHAdeMO inlet shape remains the same wherever you go. So you can use the CHAdeMO products (chargers and EVs) in Japan, South Korean, US and Canada. The interoperability and safety of CHAdeMO chargers are guaranteed by our established certification mechanism which is performed by the independent certification bodies.

That said, as Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is developed by Tesla, we cannot answer to you on its behalf. The bes <sic> would be to wait for its response.

Hope this will be useful to you.

Best regards,

Mika

--
Secretariat
CHAdeMO Association Europe
Email: info@chademo.eu
Tel: +33 (0)6 95 12 21 62

Sent: 23 January 2022 22:34
To: CHAdeMO Europe
Subject:Enquiry from CHAdeMO website

Subject: Will Asian (South Korean and Japanese) CHAdeMO Adapters Work in North American Tesla Cars?

Message Body:
***** Copy of message sent separately, with 5 photos.) *****

Hello (Bonjour),

As you may know, most Tesla vehicles sold in North America use the Tesla Proprietary Connector charging standard ports and connector plugs. Two other countries where Tesla cars use that same standard are Japan and South Korea.

Until last year Tesla sold a CHAdeMO charging adapter in North America, but no longer.

However, CHAdeMO adapters that will fit into North American Tesla cars may still be available in Japan and South Korea. However, will these Asian adapters work in North American Tesla cars?

● Do you know whether Tesla CHAdeMO adapters from Japan and South Korea will work for Tesla cars and CHAdeMO charging stations in North America?

In other words, is CHAdeMO charging station internal technology the same in these four countries: South Korea, Japan, Canada, and the USA?

Thank you.

xxx

PS -- Naturally I have tried to ask Tesla, but have not yet received a response.

--
This e-mail was sent from a contact form on CHAdeMO.com website