Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: Chademo (US Version) - reasonable price - need shipped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry placed in the Wanted section - my mistake - cannot delete from here....

Select the "Report" button at the bottom of your Thread/Post and ask that the Post be deleted or moved (because it was a simple mistake...).

BTW, I hope that you are able to find one, but prices are getting ridiculous on eBay. And judging by other comments on TMC, CHAdeMO is a dying standard. Can you wait for the promised Tesla CCS1 adapter and a possible retrofit for older cars? (I know; when?)

Check Craigslist. Not everyone is a "scalper." (But expect to pay more than retail.) The good news is that CL now allows you to search for items outside of your local area. Check all major metropolitan areas in Canada and the US. Some sellers will ship. (And check South Korea and Japan, too.)

The Tesla South Korea site is still selling CHAdeMO adapters for Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) cars there (South Korean CHAdeMO). I assume they would work for North American TPC cars since both the CHAdeMO port-end and TPC plug-end of the adapter are the same for adapters in both regions? The asking price on the Tesla South Korean website is ₩445,000 (Won) = $471.27 (Canadian). Of course, shipping may be expensive. But It cannot hurt to try to buy one there using your Tesla account, right?

Or look for one for sale, or put a want ad, in the Seoul South Korea Craiglist.

There may be a South Korean CHAdeMO adapter owner's manual in pdf? YES! It is in the "South Korean CHAdeMO" link above:

CHAdeMO 어댑터 사용 방법

Use Google to translate to English and compare to the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter English pdf (CHAdeMO Owners Manual).

The Tesla Japan website no longer advertises the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. Surprising, because it is the DC charging standard there, but a new CHAdeMO-GB/T (China+Japan) standard coming, so that may be why. However, I am told that customers can still ask Tesla for a ChadeMO adapter when they get a new car. Do you know anyone living in or visiting Japan or South Korea? Agaion, I assume that South Korean, Japanese, and North American Tesla CHAdeMO adapters are all the same. Check on this. (Contact CHAdeMO association website. CHAdeMO Association)

Good luck.

Last edited:
The eBay price is a crazy price but it is the market price. If you know a friend, you might sell your CHAdeMO adapter to them for the price Tesla used to sell them, but if you sell one to a stranger, it's just as likely they would flip it to eBay for $900-$1000. What surprises me is that now that it's clear the CCS is coming and will work on most cars from 2020-2021 (not some mid 2021 cars) and probably cost around $200, I figured the price of these adapters would crater. It has not.

The eBay price is a crazy price but it is the market price. If you know a friend, you might sell your CHAdeMO adapter to them for the price Tesla used to sell them, but if you sell one to a stranger, it's just as likely they would flip it to eBay for $900-$1000. What surprises me is that now that it's clear the CCS is coming and will work on most cars from 2020-2021 (not some mid 2021 cars) and probably cost around $200, I figured the price of these adapters would crater. It has not.

Agreed. The instant the CCS1 adapter becomes (and reliably stays) available, the CHAdeMO price should fall. Maybe. But not yet.

I bought one new from Tesla, never used it, and sold it for what I paid to someone who (allegedly) wanted it for a friend in Hawaii where CHadeMO stations are more available than SCs on some islands. Or so he claimed.

That's the thing. I hear of free CHAdeMO charging stations (not near me), and (outlying) rural places where there are more CHAdeMO stations than Superchargers. For those locations, a CHAdeMO adapter will remain desirable, for now.

But I think that this is maybe a tad excessive: $12,000!

A true (eBay) auction for a discontinued item that ends up exceeding the original retail price is one thing. But to flat out ask for that amount...? (It does come with the protective $20 nylon gun case and "a couple of scuffs," though.)

Agreed. The instant the CCS1 adapter becomes (and reliably stays) available, the CHAdeMO price should fall. Maybe. But not yet.

I bought one new from Tesla, never used it, and sold it for what I paid to someone who (allegedly) wanted it for a friend in Hawaii where CHadeMO stations are more available than SCs on some islands. Or so he claimed.

That's the thing. I hear of free CHAdeMO charging stations (not near me), and (outlying) rural places where there are more CHAdeMO stations than Superchargers. For those locations, a CHAdeMO adapter will remain desirable, for now.

But I think that this is maybe a tad excessive: $12,000!

A true (eBay) auction for a discontinued item that ends up exceeding the original retail price is one thing. But to flat out ask for that amount...? (It does come with the protective $20 nylon gun case and "a couple of scuffs," though.)
I am pretty sure the auctions setting a super high price like $12K are really just invitations to make an offer. (Some are explicitly "or best offer.") The reality is that some people who have too much money and need an adapter are willing to pay fat prices because it's a discontinued rare item. So you can put it up for best offer and see if you get an offer you like. If you put it up for pure bid, you will get below $1,000 -- for a while auctions were hovering at $700-$900. But Buy it Now and best offers are doing better.

In fact, the big risk of putting it up for a one week auction is that during that week, Tesla might announce the CCS adapter is now for sale. In fact, that will surely happen some week. When that happens, bidding will stop. If you have a high bidder they may decide to take the strike for refusing to pay rather than pay it. So auction is a risk.

I turned out to be very clever selling mine. I put it at auction, starting at $400 (Tesla's old retail) but I stuck a high buy-it-now option, which somebody quickly grabbed. I hope he's happy with the adapter and getting good use, this was a month ago. If it goes months before I can get CCS it may have been a mistake.

The normal strategy for a hot "must get" item on eBay is to list it starting at $1. Gets lots of people bidding, you get the best price. Though a B-I-N as above can do even better. But when you have an item whose price will collapse by surprise some day, possibly during your auction, it's a different story.

When Tesla releases their adapter, we will learn what the rules are for old cars that need a charger upgrade. If those upgrades are hard to get or expensive, CdM adapters will continue to hold value but under $400. If the upgrades are trivial to get, CdM adapters should drop even more, though there will be a few people who have something like free CdM in their area who might want one. But otherwise I might even pick up a CdM again if the controller upgrade is hard to get, and use it for a while, losing a bit of value until I know I can get my upgrade. Factors suggest the upgrade+adapter may be about $400 based on Europe, so same cost as CdM used to sell for, but much smaller, able to handle more power, and working at more stations, so no brainer.

Last edited: