Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: Dead Roadster MC240 for charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's assortment of "high quality" Tesla UMCs...

IMG_6280.JPG

Reactions: dhrivnak
That fits, except potentially (hopefully) for the timeframe. I would hope that by 2010 (assuming the UMC and car were manufactured at somewhat the same time), the whole thing would have been sorted out. Ok, so they probably did a bulk build of UMCs early on and stocked them, so that's not going to be true... Still, the issue would have been well known before any of these were built, yes? If so, hopefully the development team would not have used such parts. Otherwise, they're all doomed.

I guess a small bit of good news from Wiztecy's post is that the failure appears to be somewhat gradual, i.e. it gets flakey before totally failing. So, if you're depending on it for a one or two charges during a short trip, you're not likely to get stranded. Also, there's no indication (right?) that the UMC degrades while not being used, so not using it on a daily basis will extend its calendar life and the likelihood of it performing correctly during a trip.

I do not recall mine having any pre-indication of failure - it just stopped working one day. (Mine was the one Panicopticon dissected in the thread).

My car was built in Dec 2010, so unless the UMC was part of a larger, earlier build it would have been one of the later ones.

I also typically charged (still do) at 32A.

I do not recall mine having any pre-indication of failure - it just stopped working one day. (Mine was the one Panicopticon dissected in the thread).

My car was built in Dec 2010, so unless the UMC was part of a larger, earlier build it would have been one of the later ones.

I also typically charged (still do) at 32A.
{sigh} Ok, thanks for the info (warning!)... My car is from January 2010, but there's no telling when the UMC was built.

I have a trip planned for mid-April where I will need a (one) full Range mode charge (what, 7 hours at 40 amps?) for the return trip. Plan is to use the UMC for that. Unless it dies before then (seems pretty happy so far...), I should be able to count on at least that. Back-up plan is public charging, I suppose, though it will be rather annoying to do so.

But back to the original topic... To extend the life of that prodigal UMC, I still need a charging cable for the OpenEVSE.

{sigh} Ok, thanks for the info (warning!)... My car is from January 2010, but there's no telling when the UMC was built.

I have a trip planned for mid-April where I will need a (one) full Range mode charge (what, 7 hours at 40 amps?) for the return trip. Plan is to use the UMC for that. Unless it dies before then (seems pretty happy so far...), I should be able to count on at least that. Back-up plan is public charging, I suppose, though it will be rather annoying to do so.

But back to the original topic... To extend the life of that prodigal UMC, I still need a charging cable for the OpenEVSE.

I would recommend picking up one of Henry's CAN adapters, both for your trip as well as for your home use (if you cannot find a Roadster cable).

You could build the OpenEVSE with a J1772 cable and buy Henry's CAN Jr, or
buy a Tesla HPWC (much nicer looking than OpenEVSE and can supply 80A) and buy Henry's CAN Sr.

That way you would only have to bring the adapter for your trip (much more convenient than the UMC) and it opens up many more options than NEMA 14-50 outlets.

Last edited:
I would recommend picking up one of Henry's CAN adapters, both for your trip as well as for your home use (if you cannot find a Roadster cable).

You could build the OpenEVSE with a J1772 cable and buy Henry's CAN Jr, or
buy a Tesla HPWC (much nicer looking than OpenEVSE and can supply 80A) and buy Henry's CAN Sr.

That way you would only have to bring the adapter for your trip (much more convenient than the UMC) and it opens up many more options than NEMA 14-50 outlets.
Yes, definitely. I already own both of the adapters, and never go out without them.

The "destination charging" is at my brother's house, and his newly-installed 14-50 outlet. I'm trying to get him to swap his geriatric Honda Civic for an EV of some kind, so want a positive experience from the event. There is one (single) other charging spot within walking distance, but it's been out of commission for months (PlugShare score of 1). Not good.

I've considered swapping roles between the UMC and OpenEVSE, leaving the UMC at home for daily charging (as long as it lasts), and building the OpenEVSE with the available J1772 cable ($150) for use with Henry's adapter on the road. I'd rather not use the adapter in the garage on a daily basis, just for the incremental hassle factor, but you're right that I could certainly do that too. The ideal solution is to have both EVSEs terminate in a Roadster connector, so trying for that first.

I chose to install a 14-50 socket instead of a dedicated wall-mounted EVSE partly for cost, and partly for flexibility. My daughter has a reservation for a Model 3, so the 14-50 is kind of the universal outlet. I don't need the higher charge rate (been happy with even just 24 amps in the past), and with the desire not to use an adapter, it's good for me too.

• Informative
Yes, definitely. I already own both of the adapters, and never go out without them.

... The ideal solution is to have both EVSEs terminate in a Roadster connector, so trying for that first.
I think you should keep holding out for finding a Roadster cable. The adapters are always nice including charging at home, but I agree that a native connector is a little more elegant on a daily basis if you don't have to share the charger with another car. I was at the NY service center a few years ago and saw a pile of broken MC 240s and Roadster UMCs sitting in a corner. I'm sure you'll find one if you keep looking.

• Informative
Those work at 60 Hz. Greg is just looking for the cable with the Roadster connector so it actually doesn't matter if the unit works.
I will not sacrifice a working unit for just the cable. Too few of them around, especially with the failure rate. I'd also bet he probably would not part with it for the price of just the cable, either. The J1772 cable I would normally purchase for the OpenEVSE is $149; working UMCs go for a lot more (and should).

{bump}

Still looking for a Roadster 240v charging cable and connector. Just the cable and connector; no need for the gizmo that plugs into the wall. I had a line on one last year, but he's seems to have disappeared. Anybody?

{bump}

Still looking for a Roadster 240v charging cable and connector. Just the cable and connector; no need for the gizmo that plugs into the wall. I had a line on one last year, but he's seems to have disappeared. Anybody?

Greg - I have 3 UK spec Roadster charging cables, 13amp, 32amp NEMA to commando (I think), and an MC240 chunky charge cable. I sold my Roadster not so long ago and these were a spare set. I'll PM you ..

(I also have an accumulation of new / NOS headlights and rear lights, usable front wings/fenders, entire front section / nose cone assembly front black grill, rear carbon fibre boot lid spoiler and some more parts .. But probably of interest to long term owners in the UK!)

dumb question... have you contacted the manufacturer in Ohio, that originally made the cable? I bought a 110v cable from them not too long ago.
Um, no. I concluded it was a custom job for Tesla, not something open to the public for purchase direct, so didn't pursue it.

Do you have their contact info? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

North Shore Safety

By the way, my UMC that came with my recently purchased roadster also has a flaky UMC, I get the 4 blinking red LED pattern now just about every charge attempt after x hours of charging. Have to continuously reset the UMC ( by unplugging) and restart the charging process. I've lowered my charge current to I think 12 amps but it still faults during the night. Clearly this is not a long term solution. My understanding is that the UMC electronics are potted or conformally coated, was wondering if it is possible to still dive into the worm segment and surgically fix the issue. Conformal coatings or potted electronics are NOT impossible to remove. I just can't risk diving into this without a secondary input source for charging. Has anyone repaired a roadster UMC? Surely it is not impossible? Come on guys, we are a smart bunch, this can't be that difficult? ;)

Last edited:
I get why repair is not realistic. This roadster UMC is a mess! So will the Model S/X Corded MC suffer the same eventual fate? Is it that much more reliable? Worth the $520 US?

Tesla — Corded Mobile Connector - NEMA 14-50
The Corded MC is much more compact than the UMC, but requires a CAN-SR from @hcsharp to be useable with a Roadster, of course.

I switched last year from carrying a UMC to the Corded MC, but I can't yet speak to the reliability of the former vs the latter, yet. My UMC is still working fine; I simply wanted a smaller charging kit in my trunk.

The Corded MC has been working well, but I've not yet used it as many times as I used my UMC.

The Model-S MC is good for portability and as a mobile charge solution in my opinion but I wouldn't count on it as my daily charge solution knowing it would most likely blow out with frequent use. I went with a JuiceBox for my home solution and very pleased with it, its built very well and very reliable. Other owners have had great experience with the EVSE which I was looking at as well, but felt that the Juicebox was built a bit more solid. Plus the guys at Juicebox are great and true EV enthusiasts, so happy to support people like that. The Model-S MC stays in the Roadster with all the handy adapters for if I get in a bind on the road and need a charge. It can be stowed behind the driver's seat if needed showing how its very compact. And of course I use it combined with the awesome CAN SR which lays beside the JR.