Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most cases the answer is no. There are a few cases though where this may be possible. My car seems to fit one of these corner cases. In order to be able to do it, the car needs to have the subzero package. My car has this but came off the line in December 2014, a few days before the introduction of the heated steering wheel. It seems certain cars built within a small window like mine are all wired up for the heated steering wheel but just don't have the heated wheel. Tesla quoted me $2400 for this upgrade but I can buy a lot of gloves for that. If I can find one for a reasonable price, I will do the work myself and have them activate the software. Since I've already paid for subzero it shouldn't be an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I will do the work myself and have them activate the software. Since I've already paid for subzero it shouldn't be an issue.

Before you do too much work you should probably get a commitment from your service center that they will indeed activate the software for you if you do the work yourself. There are many examples of Tesla refusing to activate software features like this and very few, if any, examples of them doing so.

The beauty of a Model S is it’s just like a computer you can upgrade. Here are several cases where they HAVE activated the software. See the biohazard filter thread as an example.

I understand that technically it’s possible, but I know that I’ve seen a lot of posts where people have said that Tesla will refuse to do so. I certainly didn’t have time to scan all of the threads you linked to, but there was this quote toward the end of the bio filter one.

Forgot to mention that the SC rep reminded me that since my X did not come with Bio-Defense mode, I would not have the "button". I asked if it were possible for them to install it and he quickly responded that they do not have the capability of doing that any longer. My guess is that means they were told not to. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

From what I’ve seen, this seems to be the standard Tesla reply when people ask to have features enabled. Especially after making hardware upgrades and modifications themselves.

In any case, all I suggested is that the OP get a commitment from his SC that they will enable the feature for him after he does the work, which I still think would be wise. Hopefully they will have no problem with it since, as you say, it should be nothing more than just enabling a software option.

Also the steering wheel is an easy hack once you have the hardware. If Tesla doesn’t enable the software you can install a a relay from the windshield heating elements to activate the steering wheel. Easy Peasy. See the fuse for the windshield heater and install a double tap fuse on the same circuit.

Everything is possible with money and will and a 8 the grade level of understanding on 12 volt systems.

Also the steering wheel is an easy hack once you have the hardware. If Tesla doesn’t enable the software you can install a a relay from the windshield heating elements to activate the steering wheel. Easy Peasy. See the fuse for the windshield heater and install a double tap fuse on the same circuit.

Everything is possible with money and will and a 8 the grade level of understanding on 12 volt systems.

Ah, the eighth grade. The best two years of my life...

LOL - it was so long ago, but I got witness the 8th grade again once I joined the military. I will never forget riding to Baltimore MEPS and being one of only a few white kids on the bus.. best experience of my life.. going from suburbia to the real world, everyone should do it, humbling and eye opening.