Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: HPWC Tesla wall charger in Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a HPWC (High Powered Wall Charger) they would like to sell in Sydney area (up to 1.5hrs radius drive from CBD). Pls DM me. Thanks.

I would add this in the classifieds section but its mostly American there and I think this post would get lost.

Anyone have a HPWC (High Powered Wall Charger) they would like to sell in Sydney area (up to 1.5hrs radius drive from CBD). Pls DM me. Thanks.

I would add this in the classifieds section but its mostly American there and I think this post would get lost.
Tesla site now has some in stock. I ordered one yesterday and its on the way with scheduled delivery tomorrow. They're V2 though not V3.

Does it need to be a HPWC? No matter what you decide on, the limiting factor is your on-board charger.
If you are budget constrained, you could just use your UMC connected to a suitably powered socket.
You haven't mentioned which model Tesla you have so for single charger MS/MS (pre-Raven) get the sparky to install a 20A 3phase switched socket then use your Gen1UMC with a Tesla Euro-adaptor and 20A tail to get 11kW.
For Model3 install a 32A single phase switched socket and use your Gen2 UMC with CEE adaptor & 32A plug to get 7kW.
The only exception is MS/MX Raven owners who have 17kW on-board charger, their Gen2 UMC would only deliver 7kW, so a HPWC would be the go-to solution or a 3rd party 22kW wall-mounted EVSE with a Type2 connector.

• Informative
Reactions: jaykaye and mike_j
Does it need to be a HPWC? No matter what you decide on, the limiting factor is your on-board charger.
If you are budget constrained, you could just use your UMC connected to a suitably powered socket.
You haven't mentioned which model Tesla you have so for single charger MS/MS (pre-Raven) get the sparky to install a 20A 3phase switched socket then use your Gen1UMC with a Tesla Euro-adaptor and 20A tail to get 11kW.
For Model3 install a 32A single phase switched socket and use your Gen2 UMC with CEE adaptor & 32A plug to get 7kW.
The only exception is MS/MX Raven owners who have 17kW on-board charger, their Gen2 UMC would only deliver 7kW, so a HPWC would be the go-to solution or a 3rd party 22kW wall-mounted EVSE with a Type2 connector.
I've got a Model 3 and had no idea my UMC could go up to 7kWh. TIL.
I was planning on installing a 48A circuit for the HPWC to get the full 11kWh, but now I need to consider if I could just be happy with the 32A tail + UMC. Although 32A should give me ~7.7kWh, not 7kWh.

I've got a Model 3 and had no idea my UMC could go up to 7kWh. TIL.
I was planning on installing a 48A circuit for the HPWC to get the full 11kWh, but now I need to consider if I could just be happy with the 32A tail + UMC. Although 32A should give me ~7.7kWh, not 7kWh.
I'd wait for a 2nd hand HPWC.
It's a bit tidier than using the UMC, and also let's you leave your UMC in your car as an emergency charger.
I've bought two over the years, $350 and $400.

If you have 3 phase supply the Model 3 can do 11kW with the HPWC.
That is correct, I think the OP knows that, I was merely suggesting an alternative to having to use the HPWC...

Although 32A should give me ~7.7kWh, not 7kWh.
True, but power varies with voltage it is possible one could get anywhere between 7.04kW (at 220V) and 7.68kW (at 240V), but then you'd have to take into account line losses any who knows whatever else, so "7" is a catch-all value for power when 7.04kW< power < 7.68kW less any losses.

also let's you leave your UMC in your car as an emergency charger
that's the obvious draw-down in using your UMC as a proxy for the HPWC, you'd need to not forget to take it when departing on that spontaneous weekend trip away.. "honey - guess what I forgot to pack" as you arrive at that romantic B&B on 10% battery...

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I wouldn't expect them to be so cheap now, given it's almost 12 months since they were last included with the car.
Theyre not included with the car anymore??? So people need to pay $780 on top of buying a brand new car for the charger? Thats BS.

That is correct, I think the OP knows that, I was merely suggesting an alternative to having to use the HPWC...

True, but power varies with voltage it is possible one could get anywhere between 7.04kW (at 220V) and 7.68kW (at 240V), but then you'd have to take into account line losses any who knows whatever else, so "7" is a catch-all value for power when 7.04kW< power < 7.68kW less any losses.

that's the obvious draw-down in using your UMC as a proxy for the HPWC, you'd need to not forget to take it when departing on that spontaneous weekend trip away.. "honey - guess what I forgot to pack" as you arrive at that romantic B&B on 10% battery...
I have my UMC in my car all the car as an emergency along with a long length of extension cable. I agree with Nickdp about the nicety of having the HPWC so you can keep the UMC in the car.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I can get a decently priced HPWC. Bit disappointed it wont come with the car new as we plan to get a Model Y when its out in Aus.

Yeah it doesn’t come with it anymore. But the recent price drop makes it ok I guess. I’ve ordered one and luckily got one delivered. I now have a Tesla approved sparky coming in next Wednesday to install it
F430CAC9-4613-46E8-966C-2A161008DC1C.jpeg

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Theyre not included with the car anymore??? So people need to pay $780 on top of buying a brand new car for the charger? Thats BS.

That change came in conjunction with a $4000 price cut. What would you prefer?

Incidentally, the Tesla wall charger is far cheaper than most other third party brands (these typically start at around $1200 or so, a little less for the untethered style)

I have my UMC in my car all the car as an emergency along with a long length of extension cable. I agree with Nickdp about the nicety of having the HPWC so you can keep the UMC in the car.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I can get a decently priced HPWC. Bit disappointed it wont come with the car new as we plan to get a Model Y when its out in Aus.

I agree with the other posters, keep the UMC in the car. If you are in a position where you can install a wall charger at home, then it's the way to go.

Oh yes, I meant HPWC not UMC.
Agree about not needing one with each car sold. If my next car comes with one is probably immediately eBay it.
The "free" HPWC deal was stopped over 12 months ago. Any new Tesla bought in Australia since then and going forward does NOT have this unit included in the vehicle purchase price. If you want one then you've got to pay extra. They're still selling the HPWC Gen2 in Australia while the rest of the world moves onto the re-designed Gen3 - but I believe that unit is having teething issues. So, maybe get a Gen2 while you can especially if you want to run TWCManager.

If your still in the market, I have a BRAND NEW (two weeks old), Tesla HPWC Gen2 that I can sell you for $680. I was going to use it in my garage but now have changed plans. I am in Sydney so let me know.