TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WTB Model 3 19 inch wheels (4).

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by timk225, Dec 2, 2018.

1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I've been thinking, and looking at other Teslas, and I might like to get a set of OEM 19 inch Model 3 wheels to replace my 18 inch Aeros. In the spring I'll get a set of OEM tires put on them and put them on the car.

I'm offering $400 for the wheels.

Math? A set of 4 tires will rap me for about $1000. The Tesla factory price for 19 inch wheels & tires is $1500. So after tires, mounting, balancing, and tax, that leaves roughly $400 for wheels.

If you're within a couple hundred miles of Pittsburgh, I'll come pick them up. If you're farther, we can meet in the middle or you can ship them to me.

2. TM Parts

TM Parts Supporting Member

3. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Yes, that's why I'm looking for 4 good used wheels for $400. We all know that Tesla grossly overcharges for every little thing, so basing anything on their prices is not realistic. And I wouldn't get the winter tires, but rather the OEM Continental all seasons that come on 19" Model 3's.

4. TM Parts

TM Parts Supporting Member

You won't get the rims for 400 anywhere.. There's 1 on ebay that refurbished for 400... Be realistic

5. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I am realistic. These are commonly available OEM wheels. They are not special or unique in any way. That's why they are only worth $100 apiece. That's the price I am offering. Everything on the Tesla website is grossly overpriced, and it is foolish to think these plain OEM wheels are worth the same price in the used market.

Plus, I'll have to put tires on these wheels, and that's $1000 right there.

Even aftermarket wheels have ridiculous prices of $1500 or more for a set of 4. Double NOPE to them!

6. doehringm93

doehringm93 Member

What you feel they're worth and what their market value are, clearly are very different. Good luck finding them for less than $1,000, let alone $400.

7. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I'm not in a hurry to buy. Even if I got a fair deal on wheels now, they wouldn't go on the car until spring when it is due for new tires.

I had an idea of a different kind of offer today. Cryptocurrency. I've been in the crypto market since 2013 and have been through several price surges and declines. The market is down right now, and people who were foolish enough to mortgage their houses and spend big on the last coin surge, only to buy at the top and watch it fall all through 2018, will be looking to sell out before the end of the year to claim a big loss on their taxes. That will further drop the prices and give me a better buying opportunity.

I doubt there are many people here astute enough and informed enough on the crypto coin market (and NO, watching Bloomberg and CNN Money is far from the whole story), but if there are, make a Coinbase account and let me know, and I'd offer to transfer to you $400 worth of one of the top coins (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, etc), for a set of wheels without tires. Then you simply need to hodl it into next year and let the price ride up during the next surge. And you may end up with even more than the $1000 some people here claim these ordinary OEM wheels are worth. If you want Ripple (XRP) coins, make an account on Bittrex.

And do your own coin research if you don't fully understand the market, I'm not here to explain it all to you. Start with www.historyofbitcoin.org .

8. zhu-

zhu- Member

#8 zhu-, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    It appears not many Tesla owners have bought $50-$60k cars from other luxury brands before. If you have you would know Tesla absolutely does not overcharge on most things. A single 19" wheel from Mercedes is $1200 vs $300 from Tesla ($4800 vs $1200 for a set). Mercedes and Audi have key fobs for $400 vs $150 from Tesla.

I don't think damaged 19" Tesla wheels would even sell for as low as $400.

On your crypto offer, if someone wanted to do that, they could easily sell their wheels for $800 and have double the amount of coins.