Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Model 3, <= 40k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting up a want to buy post before biting the bullet on a new one.

Looking at picking up a model three at or under 40k. Not too picky on color, but I would say black is probably lowest preference, and white interior preferred.

I am in Los Angeles, so somewhere around LA is preferred (there are plenty of them here now these days right...).

Do not need long range or AWD, truthfully my commute is < 10 miles so could probably get away with a standard range with no issues.

Putting up a want to buy post before biting the bullet on a new one.
Looking at picking up a model three at or under 40k.
Not too picky on color, but I would say black is probably lowest preference, and white interior preferred.
I am in Los Angeles, so somewhere around LA is preferred (there are plenty of them here now these days right...).
Do not need long range or AWD, truthfully my commute is < 10 miles so could probably get away with a standard range with no issues.

The $35k Tesla Model 3 still exists—off-menu

Reactions: house9
yep, you can buy a new one for at or under 40k...
A lot of people believe that since Tesla lost the Tax Discount Incentive,
the price of the Tesla are still stratospherique, and Tesla has difficulty to sell cars.

Even what Bil Gates mentionned in this interview (see at 2:35) Talking Tech & Saving the World with Bill Gates!

In fact the same Tesla Model 3 LR AWD FSD (including IRS $7.5k and California $2.5k discounts) that I bought in 2018 is now even cheaper today!

Last edited:
A lot of people believe that since Tesla lost the Tax Discount Incentive,
the price of the Tesla are still stratospherique, and Tesla has difficulty to sell cars.

Even what Bil Gates mentionned in this interview (see at 2:35) Talking Tech & Saving the World with Bill Gates!

In fact the same Tesla Model 3 LR AWD FSD (including IRS $7.5k and California $2.5k discounts) that I bought in 2018 is now even cheaper today!

so does tesla not make any money if you purchase a $35k tesla? it feels like they're missing a chunk of a market, because its seems like theres a population of the market that would purchase a tesla if more people knew a $35k option was available.. and i'm not talking about the people that will just purchase a $45k model 3, i'm talking about the people that will be turned off and instead choose another car that is $35k.

so does tesla not make any money if you purchase a $35k tesla? it feels like they're missing a chunk of a market, because its seems like theres a population of the market that would purchase a tesla if more people knew a $35k option was available.. and i'm not talking about the people that will just purchase a $45k model 3, i'm talking about the people that will be turned off and instead choose another car that is $35k.
People should not just look at the initial cost of the car but also the cost of ownership and the resale value of the car.

When I bought my Model 3 LR AWD I was initially considering buying a $25k compact car but after doing
a quick napkin towel calculation I realized that a $50k Model 3 would cost me over all the same amount,
for my giving commute which is 65 miles one way.

Here is an example, not my particular case, but a more general situation:

- Typical user would keep his/her car for 60,000 miles for 4 years.
- The resale value is 50 % of the original cost after 4 years (may be not really scientific but for illustration)

- The cost of electricity when charging at home is $0.10 / kWh (approximation)
- The cost of gas is $4 / gallon (approximation)
- A typical compact car has a 30 miles / gallon fuel consumption (mix of highway and city driving)

- A Model 3 has a range of 200 miles for 50 kWh (bold approximation number)
- I will use the $40,000 Model 3 SR+ in this example, which is more common than the $35,000 Model 3 SR.

So (if I make the correct math) a 60,000 miles would cost a total of $1,500 of electricity and $8,000 of fuel.

The very simple formula that I use is as follow:
Total Cost = Initial cost - used sale price + gas or electricity consumption

Now in the case of the Model 3 SR+ I get the following value:
4 years and 60,000 miles with Tesla Model 3 SR+ Total cost = $40,000 - (50% of $40,000) + $1,500 = $21,500

To get the same total cost, I need to use a $27,000 car, such as Toyota Corolla / CR-V, Honda Civic, Mazda 3...
4 years and 60,000 miles with "Compact" car Total cost = $27,000 - (50% of $27,000) + $8,000 = $21,500

This is of course a very simplified calculation, as I ignored other costs like maintenance, insurance, sales taxes,
and resale value is approximate..., but this give you an idea that for 4 years and 60,000 miles.

- If you buy an ICE car more that $27,000, then a $40,000 Model 3 SR+ might be finally cheaper.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby