Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB Model 3 LR White/Black Int. Help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is my first post on any forum so everyone bear with me plz.

I recently had my Jeep considered a total loss and am ready to make my next car a Model 3. I have been looking for one for months and truly have never experienced such a frustrating car buying experience. Id like to buy a slightly used M3, I always buy used its just my preference to save a few thousand dollars over buying a brand new one. I have learned a few things on this hunt. Dealers that aren't tesla know nothing about these cars at all and cant answer simple questions about the software. This led me to want to buy from a private party as they seem to be fans of the cars and know what they have but OMG what is with the pricing? Why is almost every single used car priced at or above a new one? Am I going insane here? I'm hoping for some help or maybe I will learn that I am, in fact, being unreasonable in my search. Or maybe someone has one they want to sell to a rational buyer. I will post my dream find below for advice:

Musts:
White exterior
Full Premium Black interior
Long Range (RWD or AWD is fine)
Still be under some remaining tesla warranty.

Wants but not dealbreakers:
Prefer <20k miles
19" Wheels
Minimum EAP version of autopilot
Close to Chicago

The million-dollar question: How much am I willing to pay?

My top number would be 47k but that would have to include some of the wants.

Am I insane or is this the weirdest car market ever? Thanks!

I recently had my Jeep considered a total loss and am ready to make my next car a Model 3. I have been looking for one for months and truly have never experienced such a frustrating car buying experience. Id like to buy a slightly used M3, I always buy used its just my preference to save a few thousand dollars over buying a brand new one. I have learned a few things on this hunt. Dealers that aren't tesla know nothing about these cars at all and cant answer simple questions about the software. This led me to want to buy from a private party as they seem to be fans of the cars and know what they have but OMG what is with the pricing? Why is almost every single used car priced at or above a new one? Am I going insane here? I'm hoping for some help or maybe I will learn that I am, in fact, being unreasonable in my search. Or maybe someone has one they want to sell to a rational buyer. I will post my dream find below for advice:

Musts:
White exterior

Prefer <20k miles
19" Wheels
Close to Chicago

Little over your price but tesla has a bunch of new inventory hanging around all over the country
2020 Model 3 | Tesla

Check out ev-cpo.com for full listings

Reactions: EV-CPO
Little over your price but tesla has a bunch of new inventory hanging around all over the country
2020 Model 3 | Tesla

Check out ev-cpo.com for full listings

Yeah I’m definitely keeping that in my back pocket and constantly watching the inventory. Just know that with tax and all I will be well above budget and not get any of my “wants”. But will also be brand new so weighing that out for sure. Thanks!

Musts:
White exterior

Prefer <20k miles
19" Wheels
Close to Chicago

Right now, these cars DO sell "slightly used" for around the price of a new one. As a matter of fact, if you find one with a large discount over new that is slightly used, you need to look at it VERY carefully to make sure its either not a scam, or not a car that has been in a huge accident.

The place you are being unreasonable is expecting this car to have the same "buy used to save a ton" status as other cars. It may get better, especially with the economy likely to get worse with the covid-19 situation, but yeah, you are not going to save 10k on a 9 month old model 3.

That being said, you can likely find what you want for 47k. You just are not going to get it for 40k.

Right now, these cars DO sell "slightly used" for around the price of a new one. As a matter of fact, if you find one with a large discount over new that is slightly used, you need to look at it VERY carefully to make sure its either not a scam, or not a car that has been in a huge accident.

The place you are being unreasonable is expecting this car to have the same "buy used to save a ton" status as other cars. It may get better, especially with the economy likely to get worse with the covid-19 situation, but yeah, you are not going to save 10k on a 9 month old model 3.

That being said, you can likely find what you want for 47k. You just are not going to get it for 40k.

I dont think i would expect to save "10k on a 9 month old car".I understand different cars depreciate at different rates and its great if this car shows a slower decline. My main issue i was expressing frustration with in my post is the cars (and there are a lot) that are listed higher than new. The sellers do this and add "willing to negotiate" but this puts the buyer in a position where they first have to convince someone they dont want to pay someone for having driven the car around for a while.

I dont think i would expect to save "10k on a 9 month old car".I understand different cars depreciate at different rates and its great if this car shows a slower decline. My main issue i was expressing frustration with in my post is the cars (and there are a lot) that are listed higher than new. The sellers do this and add "willing to negotiate" but this puts the buyer in a position where they first have to convince someone they dont want to pay someone for having driven the car around for a while.

I know you mention this is your first forum post, so I am not chastising you in any way with what I am about to say. About every week or so, someone comes to this site with the same complaint that you have, as in "WTF is wrong with these used tesla prices???".

As I am sure you are aware of if you have been buying used cars, the market dictates what a car is worth, and enough of these cars are being offered at these prices to show that the market is strong for teslas. Many just decide to buy a new one, after seeing that they are going to get a used one with miles on it for a saving of just a few K over a new one.

This will likely change eventually, and since you are willing to pay around 47k you can likely find what you want. A few months ago, someone was looking for basically the same car you are looking for, and flabbergasted they could not find it for "40k". They eventually raised their budget up to 45k if I remember correctly, but I am not sure what they ended up doing.

You might want to consider a new one, even though you normally "buy lightly used cars to save money". Unless you are willing to be patient, and also be VERY careful of cars that have large discounts, you will likely find that the price difference between "new" and "lightly used" to not be that large a delta.

Anyway, good luck

I know you mention this is your first forum post, so I am not chastising you in any way with what I am about to say. About every week or so, someone comes to this site with the same complaint that you have, as in "WTF is wrong with these used tesla prices???".

As I am sure you are aware of if you have been buying used cars, the market dictates what a car is worth, and enough of these cars are being offered at these prices to show that the market is strong for teslas. Many just decide to buy a new one, after seeing that they are going to get a used one with miles on it for a saving of just a few K over a new one.

This will likely change eventually, and since you are willing to pay around 47k you can likely find what you want. A few months ago, someone was looking for basically the same car you are looking for, and flabbergasted they could not find it for "40k". They eventually raised their budget up to 45k if I remember correctly, but I am not sure what they ended up doing.

You might want to consider a new one, even though you normally "buy lightly used cars to save money". Unless you are willing to be patient, and also be VERY careful of cars that have large discounts, you will likely find that the price difference between "new" and "lightly used" to not be that large a delta.

Anyway, good luck
You're right, I'm definitely looking at a new one as an option in this specific scenario but also waiting to see what the economy will do with all this craziness. Thanks!