Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: Model X or Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to buy my first Tesla.
Located in New England, but will travel and drive it back home pretty much anywhere in the country.
Looking for autopilot 2 or better on Model S, either on Model X.
Looking for one that is still under warranty.
All the best!

Make your hunt and choice easier by spending some time in an X and an S. These cars are very different. The X is big, tall, wide and heavy. Visibility is incredible. Ingress and egress is easier in an X because it sits higher. Our first Tesla was an S and we really enjoyed it but two years in we tried out an X for the afternoon. My wife was instantly more comfortable in the X due to visibility improvement because the seats are slightly higher along with the X overall standing higher. Still think the S is more attractive but, since more time is spent in the car looking out than admiring it from the outside, the X is our car of choice.

Both cars are nimble especially considering size and weight. Enjoy the hunt.

Reactions: ChadS and AvengerBB
Go on the site, and choose Chat when shopping/configuring.. you’ll get an inside sales advisor. They have the best insight into the best deals that you don’t see online.
Thank you both.

I wasn’t aware that the sales advisors had the ability to see ones that weren’t listed on the used sight. If you or anyone else has any additional tips for dealing with the “CPO” Teslas I’m all ears!

Make your hunt and choice easier by spending some time in an X and an S. These cars are very different. The X is big, tall, wide and heavy. Visibility is incredible. Ingress and egress is easier in an X because it sits higher. Our first Tesla was an S and we really enjoyed it but two years in we tried out an X for the afternoon. My wife was instantly more comfortable in the X due to visibility improvement because the seats are slightly higher along with the X overall standing higher. Still think the S is more attractive but, since more time is spent in the car looking out than admiring it from the outside, the X is our car of choice.

Both cars are nimble especially considering size and weight. Enjoy the hunt.
I’ve driven the X, S, and 3.
I really enjoy some of the extra features and extra practicality of the X, though this is most expensive. The S offers a balance of practicality at the middle tier price so I think that’s my most likely buy.
Thought I’d post and see what advice others have and If anyone has one for sale.

Thank you both.

I wasn’t aware that the sales advisors had the ability to see ones that weren’t listed on the used sight. If you or anyone else has any additional tips for dealing with the “CPO” Teslas I’m all ears!
We got a demo car at a heavy heavy discount. And the 3750 rebate as it’s considered new. So you may want to consider that.

We have an X, and have had a couple of S. Love them both, but they are indeed quite different. skip8jj summarized pretty well above, but if you want a lot more text, I described the differences in THIS thread.

Being a frugal guy (nobody looking at my cars seems to believe me!) I usually start decisions like this by looking at the cheap option. The S is cheaper, more efficient, more reliable, has more range, charges faster, is quicker, can have a roof rack, and looks better. To me, that should be the "default" choice. My wife and I would love to go back to one some day.

So what does the X offer that might make some switch to the more expensive option? The main draws of the X: available seating for more people, towing, a little extra space (not really much), and better ingress/egress. Are any of those important to you? We didn't need more seating or towing; we just got the X because the taller height made it a lot easier for my 84-year-old 6'4" 300lb father-in-law to get in. We must admit that it is a little more comfortable on road trips for us too, though not a lot.

Last edited:
We have an X, and have had a couple of S. Love them both, but they are indeed quite different. skip8jj summarized pretty well above, but if you want a lot more text, I described the differences in THIS thread.

Being a frugal guy (nobody looking at my cars seems to believe me!) I usually start decisions like this by looking at the cheap option. The S is cheaper, more efficient, more reliable, has more range, charges faster, is quicker, and looks better. To me, that should be the "default" choice. My wife and I would love to go back to one some day.

So what does the X offer that might make some switch to the more expensive option? The main draws of the X: available seating for more people, towing, a little extra space (not really much), and better ingress/egress. Are any of those important to you? We didn't need more seating or towing; we just got the X because the taller height made it a lot easier for my 84-year-old 6'4" 300lb father-in-law to get in. We must admit that it is a little more comfortable on road trips for us too, though not a lot.
I appreciate the summery. Helpful.
I think the S is what makes the most sense for me.
I’ve had a look at the used ones on Tesla’s website and there aren’t any AWD used ones available with autopilot 2 or newer.
Not finding much private party so far...