Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB Non-US spec tail lights for Model S

Ingineer

Electrical Engineer
Aug 8, 2012
FYI: You'll need to change an option in you car's configuration (internal.dat) to make it work properly with EU spec lights.

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep, already spoke to the Service Center about this. Thanks!
Were they relatively responsive to it? if so, I'd love to get my hands on a set too! (I take it they were responsive to changing the option, but not to getting you the lights...)
Would they simply plug in? or are the connectors different? Do you know if you need just the corner ones? or the ones on the lift gate too?

This has been one of my big complaints about the car, if I can do something about it, I'm interested!

Chris TX

Sep 30, 2013
Dallas, TX
Were they relatively responsive to it? if so, I'd love to get my hands on a set too! (I take it they were responsive to changing the option, but not to getting you the lights...)
Would they simply plug in? or are the connectors different? Do you know if you need just the corner ones? or the ones on the lift gate too?

This has been one of my big complaints about the car, if I can do something about it, I'm interested!

They were open to helping with the install. I can do the labor to swap them, but they'll need to update the file.

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
They were open to helping with the install. I can do the labor to swap them, but they'll need to update the file.
Apart from the software, are they plug and play? or is the connector different? and do you know if you need just the corners? or the lift gate parts too? (I have never managed to see a picture or video of the back end of a non-north american Tesla lit up)

The other question, is will any non-north american lights do? or do the european ones have different shapes/features to accomodate their different charge port? (seems safest would be to get the Japanese ones as they use the same charge port?)

Ingineer

Electrical Engineer
Aug 8, 2012
I wonder why they are red here and amber there. Why not just make them amber and have only one light type?

green1

Mar 25, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wonder why they are red here and amber there. Why not just make them amber and have only one light type?
If I had to guess, it's part of their attempts to block out of market cars. This is traditional Automaker 101, the traditional automakers have gone to great lengths to lobby for incompatible vehicle standards between countries to block vehicle imports. Tesla has learned well.

There's no reason you can't make 2 cars worldwide, right hand drive and left hand drive, and do all markets, but doing so makes it too easy to import vehicles across borders, and car companies hate that.

Ingineer

Electrical Engineer
Aug 8, 2012
Are Canadian cars Amber or Red?

A solution is to just ask an owner in EU (or maybe Canada?) to order them and send them to you.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC