TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB Non-US spec tail lights for Model S

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Chris TX, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I'm interested in amber turn signals for the rear. If anyone has some, please let me know.

2. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

FYI: You'll need to change an option in you car's configuration (internal.dat) to make it work properly with EU spec lights.

3. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Yep, already spoke to the Service Center about this. Thanks!

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

How does that work?! Deets!

5. green1

green1 Active Member

Were they relatively responsive to it? if so, I'd love to get my hands on a set too! (I take it they were responsive to changing the option, but not to getting you the lights...)
    Would they simply plug in? or are the connectors different? Do you know if you need just the corner ones? or the ones on the lift gate too?

This has been one of my big complaints about the car, if I can do something about it, I'm interested!

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

They were open to helping with the install. I can do the labor to swap them, but they'll need to update the file.

7. green1

green1 Active Member

Apart from the software, are they plug and play? or is the connector different? and do you know if you need just the corners? or the lift gate parts too? (I have never managed to see a picture or video of the back end of a non-north american Tesla lit up)

The other question, is will any non-north american lights do? or do the european ones have different shapes/features to accomodate their different charge port? (seems safest would be to get the Japanese ones as they use the same charge port?)

8. Ingineer

I wonder why they are red here and amber there. Why not just make them amber and have only one light type?

9. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Be nice if this were offered as an accessory on the website--- but I'll assume that would be seen as subverting DOT regulations or some such nonsense.

10. green1

green1 Active Member

If I had to guess, it's part of their attempts to block out of market cars. This is traditional Automaker 101, the traditional automakers have gone to great lengths to lobby for incompatible vehicle standards between countries to block vehicle imports. Tesla has learned well.

There's no reason you can't make 2 cars worldwide, right hand drive and left hand drive, and do all markets, but doing so makes it too easy to import vehicles across borders, and car companies hate that.

11. Ingineer

Are Canadian cars Amber or Red?

A solution is to just ask an owner in EU (or maybe Canada?) to order them and send them to you.

12. green1

green1 Active Member

Canada is stuck with the inferior US ones, Japan seems like the best option as they have the same charge port so most likely to be the same mountings.

13. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I prefer Amber rear turns... But only if it doesn't look bad!