TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

WTB: OEM Tesla NEMA 6-50 Adapter - $150

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by MIT_S60, Nov 23, 2016.

1. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I just ordered my first Model S, and am trying to find a NEMA 6-50 adapter. I know it's cheaper to replace my outlet to 14-50, but I also own a Prius Plug-in (hopefully selling my Leaf soon) and would like the ability to continue using my GE Wattstation L2 charger but plug in the UMC when necessary. I'm willing to pay $150 for the OEM Tesla NEMA 6-50 adapter (in working condition obviously).

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

• Like x 1
  3. jgblair

jgblair New Member

4. jgblair

jgblair New Member

5. dhcp

dhcp Member

I just bought one of these a few weeks ago from these guys and not only is it built amazingly well but the customer service was first rate. Not bad for a place I just stumbled across, would buy again in a second. Super quality and construction.

6. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

If you use the adapter from EVSEAdapters, will it try and charge at the full 50 amps even if the NEMA 6-50 outlet is connected to a 40 amp circuit (as many of them are, including mine)?

7. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

The car will always default (or aim for) the highest common amperage. So, yes. But, you can tell the car to stay at any number lower than what it thinks is the maximum allowable. You can set that location to eg 40 amps.

What I think your implied question: is the car aware of the adaptor? I think the answer is no; unless you use the OEM adapter, the car is not aware you are using an adaptor.

8. dhcp

dhcp Member

Yes indeed as CSFTN just replied - I plugged it in and didn't even think of the difference, I have a 40 amp breaker and the car started charging at a full 40 and popped the breaker. I overrode the amperage and set it to be 30amp in the car and now it charges without issue using the Tesla mobile connector with the EVSEAdapter connected to a 6-50 port that used to host my Siemens charging station.

Since the car remembers any adjustments you make I only had to do it once and it remembers that at home now, don't go more than 30 amps when charging, even if the mobile connector tells you it can do 40.

9. sdorn

So why not just use the Siemens charger with the J1772 adapter? It would have charged at 30amps also and you wouldn't have to take the UMC out of the car. I also have a Siemens charger that I currently use with my Leaf and am planning to just use it when my Tesla comes. Having an adapter to plug directly into the 6-50 outlet would just be a backup in case the Siemens unit went out.

10. dhcp

dhcp Member

It may sound a little lame - I actually have two of the Tesla mobile charges, one kept in the car and one that is going to a vacation home that has a 40amp circuit installed but probably not until next spring. I was using the Siemens unit for a Chevy Volt prior to the 85D and it indeed mostly worked fine on the Tesla with the J1772 adapter but I found that the timed charge worked a little flaky. I don't charge until the cheaper rates after 11pm and while I didn't want to mess with it too much, it seemed that the car didn't detect the adapter inserted if it wasn't "hot" at the time of insertion, ie: if I told the Siemens to delay charging until 11pm.

It was probably workable and I could have spent some more time figuring it out but I like Tela's svelt mobile charger and not fumbling with the adapter and since I have a spare one for the next several months, picking up an adapter so I could use it instead of the Siemens wasn't a big deal.

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

No it won't. First, the 14-50 connector on the UMC is still going to limit charging at 40 amps. Second, even the Tesla 6-50 adapter charges at 40 amps. In both cases they have to be connected to a 50 amp circuit.

If you have a 14-50 or 6-50 on a 40 amp circuit,I believe that's a code violation and the max you can charge is 32 amps. In that case the car will attempt to charge at the full 40 amps and likely pop the breaker until you manually lower the amps.

12. sdorn

My 6-50 outlet was installed by a large electrician company (Mr. Sparky) and was inspected by the county, and I had to install 8 smoke detectors in my house to bring it up to code at the time of the install in order to pass inspection which cost me an extra $3,200 so I'm pretty sure the outlet was up to code. My understanding is there is an exception in the code for 6-50 outlets used for EVSEs and some other appliances. It is very common to have an EVSE plugged into a 6-50 outlet on a 40 amp circuit as that is what many of the EVSE brands call for in their installation manuals.

You are probably right though about the Tesla OEM 6-50 adapter assuming it is being connected to a 50 amp circuit.

13. sdorn

That is actually helpful information for me. Did you try using the car's scheduling system for charging instead of the delay on the Siemens unit? I don't have my car yet, but my understanding was that you could set the car so that it only charges at a certain time every night. That seems like it would have resolved your issue assuming it works as I understand it. Did you have any other issues?

My plan is to use the Siemens unit for now. I even ordered an extra J1772 adapter so I can leave it attached all the time. However, if it is inconvenient to use I might just spring for the cost to replace my electrical box and then run a 100 amp line to the garage and buy a Tesla Wall connector and upgrade my onboard charger so it can charge at 80 amps. I figure if I'm going to spend any money on it I may as well go all out.

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

15. dhcp

dhcp Member

I think scheduling it through the car would have fixed it, I didn't spend too much time messing with it. My usual MO with the Volt was to get home, grab the Siemens cable and set it to delay 6 hours and then plug it into the car, always worked fine.

On the 85D (I also picked up an extra J1772 adapter, can't have too many when traveling) I plugged it in, set the delay on the Siemens and came out the next morning and it hadn't charged. I did play with the scheduled charging inside the car the following night but I can't remember the sequence I half-heartedly tried between the Siemens and the car schedule but it didn't work as expected.

I have everything still connected in the garage - if you aren't getting your car for a little bit and want some feedback to chew on I can give it another try this week and see if I can figure out the magic sequence or at least share the findings.

16. sdorn

My car is still 2-3 weeks out. It is in production now. If you get a chance to try out the in-car scheduling and figure out a way that works, let me know. I was hoping there would be a one-time setting in the car that tells it to charge at a set time every night, such that I could just plug it in when I get home and it would start charging automatically based on the schedule without having to use the delay button on the Siemens unit at all.

My current procedure for my Leaf is just like you described for your Volt, I get home at night and hit the delay button for 4 hours and then plug the car in.

17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

That's exactly how Tesla's scheduled charging works.

18. dhcp

dhcp Member

Ok ran the first test last night.

The car is currently already set to charge starting at 11:05pm. Didn't set any of the delay settings on the Siemens box. Plugged it into the car. Car said "waiting until 11:05pm to start charging". Received message around 1am that charging was done.

Came out in the morning and app said "charging complete" - everything as normal and the behavior I think you want.

Next test will be to tell the car to start charging immediately but set the delay on the Siemens for 6 hours out. This is the one that I suspect that the car doesn't like. The cable is inserted and the car is wanting to charge but the cable is dead.

On a side note, when using the J1772 adapter, what's the secret pattern to make it unlock? When I come to the car after it's charging, I see the door handles auto-present and I walk up and pull the charging cable out so only the J1772 adapter remains. Try to pull out the adapter and it won't come out. Open the front door of the car, adapter still doesn't unlock. App only gives the option to "close charging door" which if I select it, it tries to close on the adapter then re-opens.

I see as I'm away from the car the app has an "unlock port" option on it before I've pulled the charging cable out, is that they only way to unlock it?

The only other way I can seem to release the 1772 adapter is to get in the car and on the charging screen go to "unlock port" and then after a few seconds I can pull it out.

Obviously there must be a proper way to do it so you don't have to get in the car every time first and unlock the port before you can get back out and pull it out. What's the proper sequence? I wouldn't think you need the app every time.

Thanks guys.

19. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Hold the trunk button down on your fob, that should unlock the charge port.

20. dhcp

dhcp Member

Tried that tonight - just keeps trying to close the charge door onto the j1773 adapter but remained locked the whole time.