Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got 3 Powerwall referral awards and absolutely no use for them, no idea why we can't just get a credit. I'd be willing to sell them, but have no idea when they will come in.

I guess they aren't technically transferable, but they have said you can "gift" them to whoever you want. So you pay me, I "gift" them to you.

I guess they aren't technically transferable, but they have said you can "gift" them to whoever you want. So you pay me, I "gift" them to you.

I think one person reported here using the "gift" terminology, but I haven't seen anything official from Tesla saying you can gift the Powerwall 2 award. I don't think that Tesla is stupid enough, or ignorant enough, to think somehow "gifting" is different from "transferring".

I think one person reported here using the "gift" terminology, but I haven't seen anything official from Tesla saying you can gift the Powerwall 2 award. I don't think that Tesla is stupid enough, or ignorant enough, to think somehow "gifting" is different from "transferring".
You are correct, however Tesla explicitly told me in an emailed response that I could have it installed anywhere I wanted.

100% verbatim from Powerwall award people: “you can gift to anyone.” I have 3. Live in an apartment. Cant use. Will own house but not for awhile. Installing at parents’ house and ripping out to install in my future house. Haha

Ok, when you have it "installed anywhere you wanted" please let us know how that actually works out. As I have pointed out in my thread linked above, the Referral Program folks are completely disconnected from the Tesla Energy folks who are responsible for handling the PW2 installs and the Referral folks are notorious for dispensing bad information.

When they get to you to install the PW2, I suspect it won't be as easy as "installing anywhere you want". For instance, for every PW2 award, you have to fill out a W-9 for income taxes. If you're selling or buying a PW2, just be aware you'll be getting a 1099 for the value of the award as income (probably $5,500 or possibly $7,500 if they include the installation costs). Someone is going to have to pay the taxes on the award, and it's most likely whoever owns the house it's going into, as you'll be the one signing all the documents, inspections, and permits.

So if you pay someone $5500 for their PW2 award, don't forget to add the tax you'll have to pay on top of that. It's probably cheaper for you to just buy a PW2 directly from Tesla.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Ok, when you have it "installed anywhere you wanted" please let us know how that actually works out. As I have pointed out in my thread linked above, the Referral Program folks are completely disconnected from the Tesla Energy folks who are responsible for handling the PW2 installs and the Referral folks are notorious for dispensing bad information.

When they get to you to install the PW2, I suspect it won't be as easy as "installing anywhere you want". For instance, for every PW2 award, you have to fill out a W-9 for income taxes. If you're selling or buying a PW2, just be aware you'll be getting a 1099 for the value of the award as income (probably $5,500 or possibly $7,500 if they include the installation costs). Someone is going to have to pay the taxes on the award, and it's most likely whoever owns the house it's going into, as you'll be the one signing all the documents, inspections, and permits.

So if you pay someone $5500 for their PW2 award, don't forget to add the tax you'll have to pay on top of that. It's probably cheaper for you to just buy a PW2 directly from Tesla.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Not sure why you’re being so melodramatic. When it comes time, I’ll simply ask them if it’s possible to install them somewhere else. If not, I won’t do it and will keep them.

If so, the tax burden will almost certainly be on me as the receiver of the gift and I’ll pay it out of the proceeds from the sale. If it turns out to be on the buyer, then I’ll simply reduce the selling price by that amount.

No need to “warn” anyone.

If it turns out to be on the buyer, then I’ll simply reduce the selling price by that amount.

That's going to be hard to do, since everyones' taxes are different. Unless you sell them for 30% off to cover the tax liability for most people. The only way to do it right would be to reimburse the buyer for their actual marginal tax liability in the year following the installation of the PW2 (once the buyer knows their liability).

No need to “warn” anyone.

Yes, I believe there is a need. Because unlike Arachnid wheels or Radio Flyer codes, the PW2 awards have significant strings attached, as well as a real tax liability. If the neither the buyer or seller understand the tax consequences, both will be in for a big surprise to the tune of $1500 to $2000.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
That's going to be hard to do, since everyones' taxes are different. Unless you sell them for 30% off to cover the tax liability for most people. The only way to do it right would be to reimburse the buyer for their actual marginal tax liability in the year following the installation of the PW2 (once the buyer knows their liability).

Yes, I believe there is a need. Because unlike Arachnid wheels or Radio Flyer codes, the PW2 awards have significant strings attached, as well as a real tax liability. If the neither the buyer or seller understand the tax consequences, both will be in for a big surprise to the tune of $1500 to $2000.
As I said, the burden will almost certainly be on me. Even if it’s not, I’d be happy to reduce the price by $1,500 - $2,000 to cover it.

It’s not a big deal. Either they let me do it or they don’t.

I won two of them and tried gifting (not selling) to a good friend of mine. I even had my friend fill out his info for the second PW2 award. I was told several times that I couldn't gift, transfer, sell either one or both of them. I'm just going to end up buying a third PW2 just for my friend.