TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

WTB - Rear View Camera

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by ohmman, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I'm interested in the following Tesla part (not sure if it's the same for X and S, but either will suffice):

ASSY - CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1006773-00-E (or comparable)

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Assuming that part number is a first or second generation camera, you may want to check out this thread:

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

People there are talking about replacing first and second generation rear cameras with the new, third generation camera. Anyone who does that would probably be happy to sell you the camera they are replacing.

Good luck!

• Like x 2
  3. JPP

JPP Active Member

I have an e-mail into my local Service Manager based on artsci's info on the current generation rear camera. If I can get a new one and get it installed, I will have an old (mid-2013) rear camera available. I'll keep you posted (haven't heard back yet...).

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

If anyone has/gets a price on the new camera, please share it. Thanks.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Do you still need one of these?

6. ohmman

Given that the new cameras are only $78, I'm probably going to wind up going with one of those. Sorry, but that price is pretty cheap, especially in comparison to the original price on the older model.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

OK, I wasn't sure what you needed it for. I had one on my front bumper for the camera kit, but whenever it rained A LOT, the camera would go blank... and a day or later it would "dry out" and start working fine again. I think the O-ring was mis-seated when I originally installed it (fixed). Anyway, I found a replacement so I have this one as an extra. If you wanted something just to test with or hack up, I'd sell it to you for $30(shipped).

8. ohmman

Thanks. I am planning to mount it on the back of my Airstream and use that camera while towing as a rear-view look behind the camper. It'll also help with backing into campsites. I'm probably best getting the new one since it's a bit of a security thing. If it were $600, used made more sense.. but $78 is pretty cheap and I'm ordering cables anyway. I do appreciate the offer quite a bit, though. :)

• Like x 1
  9. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

I am guessing You have the front camera kit is it easy to install. Can I hook up more then one. The reason I would want more then one is because my model s has the 3rd row and I would like to be able to check on the kids

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I guess in theory you could hook up to units, but you'd need two cameras (of course) and two camera kit switches. One switch would switch between the two back cameras, and the other switch would switch between the front came and whatever camera is selected in the rear.

The front camera switching is automatic via a lead to the Reverse lights, but the rear cameras would need to be switched manually via a remote fob (included in the kits).

@artsci might be able to shed some light on this.

11. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

Thanks for the info I might do this I was just thinking if I got one camera kit and had to cameras I might me able to use a switch to go back and fourth
    Thanks again I will send artsci a message

12. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, if you don't want the front camera, one kit and one extra camera will totally work. Artsci would know better how to hook up the cabling with the rear camera, since he just replaced his and knows that area well. In fact, I think this is such a good idea, that Rick should offer it as an alternative installation option, since a lot of people have gerry-rigged other solutions to watch the kids in the back.

13. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

We have been on alot off trips and always say it would be nice if we could see them and tried a couple things but nothing seems to work good
    Plus it's good to double check and make sure there in the car lol

14. Andyw2100

I don't think there would be anything funky with the cabling at all.

The rear camera winds up cabled, as per the instructions.

The unit itself plugs in under the dash, and to the 17" display connector, as per the instructions.

The only change would be instead of running the cable from inside the cabin out to near the license plate, for the front camera, they would run that cable to the wherever they want to shoot the back seat from. The car would still automatically put the reverse camera on the 17" display when reversing. The regular, "front" view would be whomever is in the back seat. The only issue would be where to mount the back seat camera, and how to hide that cable.

At least that's how I see it.

15. Bheuring

Bheuring Member

I figured I could use the kit and put the front camera on the back just really wish I could add multiple cameras I really wish it was as easy as just adding a couple switches but from the people I've talked to on the forms it seems like that may be impossible

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I didn't really mean funky, but I'd do it differently.. I'd mount the control module inside the rear hatch, plug in both cameras into the module back there, and the single feed that goes to the front of the car.. then you don't have to run any cabling for the rear camera to the front of the car. You could tap into the reverse lights right there for reverse switching. Nice and compact and you don't have to take apart the dash at all.

The only reason I thought the cabling might be different is the male/female connections will be reversed back there as opposed to the connection under the dash. But there are cables to fix that.

• Informative x 1
  17. Andyw2100

One consideration to take into account if mounting the control unit in the hatch is would it still be able to be controlled via Homelink or not. My guess is that it would, but I think that might be something to try to test somehow if switching via Homelink is important to @Bheuring.