Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB - Rear View Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in the following Tesla part (not sure if it's the same for X and S, but either will suffice):

ASSY - CAMERA - REAR VIEW 1006773-00-E (or comparable)

Assuming that part number is a first or second generation camera, you may want to check out this thread:

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

People there are talking about replacing first and second generation rear cameras with the new, third generation camera. Anyone who does that would probably be happy to sell you the camera they are replacing.

Good luck!

I have an e-mail into my local Service Manager based on artsci's info on the current generation rear camera. If I can get a new one and get it installed, I will have an old (mid-2013) rear camera available. I'll keep you posted (haven't heard back yet...).

OK, I wasn't sure what you needed it for. I had one on my front bumper for the camera kit, but whenever it rained A LOT, the camera would go blank... and a day or later it would "dry out" and start working fine again. I think the O-ring was mis-seated when I originally installed it (fixed). Anyway, I found a replacement so I have this one as an extra. If you wanted something just to test with or hack up, I'd sell it to you for $30(shipped).

OK, I wasn't sure what you needed it for. I had one on my front bumper for the camera kit, but whenever it rained A LOT, the camera would go blank... and a day or later it would "dry out" and start working fine again. I think the O-ring was mis-seated when I originally installed it (fixed). Anyway, I found a replacement so I have this one as an extra. If you wanted something just to test with or hack up, I'd sell it to you for $30(shipped).
Thanks. I am planning to mount it on the back of my Airstream and use that camera while towing as a rear-view look behind the camper. It'll also help with backing into campsites. I'm probably best getting the new one since it's a bit of a security thing. If it were $600, used made more sense.. but $78 is pretty cheap and I'm ordering cables anyway. I do appreciate the offer quite a bit, though. :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I am guessing You have the front camera kit is it easy to install. Can I hook up more then one. The reason I would want more then one is because my model s has the 3rd row and I would like to be able to check on the kids

I guess in theory you could hook up to units, but you'd need two cameras (of course) and two camera kit switches. One switch would switch between the two back cameras, and the other switch would switch between the front came and whatever camera is selected in the rear.

The front camera switching is automatic via a lead to the Reverse lights, but the rear cameras would need to be switched manually via a remote fob (included in the kits).

@artsci might be able to shed some light on this.

Yeah, if you don't want the front camera, one kit and one extra camera will totally work. Artsci would know better how to hook up the cabling with the rear camera, since he just replaced his and knows that area well. In fact, I think this is such a good idea, that Rick should offer it as an alternative installation option, since a lot of people have gerry-rigged other solutions to watch the kids in the back.

Yeah, if you don't want the front camera, one kit and one extra camera will totally work. Artsci would know better how to hook up the cabling with the rear camera, since he just replaced his and knows that area well. In fact, I think this is such a good idea, that Rick should offer it as an alternative installation option, since a lot of people have gerry-rigged other solutions to watch the kids in the back.

I don't think there would be anything funky with the cabling at all.

The rear camera winds up cabled, as per the instructions.

The unit itself plugs in under the dash, and to the 17" display connector, as per the instructions.

The only change would be instead of running the cable from inside the cabin out to near the license plate, for the front camera, they would run that cable to the wherever they want to shoot the back seat from. The car would still automatically put the reverse camera on the 17" display when reversing. The regular, "front" view would be whomever is in the back seat. The only issue would be where to mount the back seat camera, and how to hide that cable.

At least that's how I see it.

I figured I could use the kit and put the front camera on the back just really wish I could add multiple cameras I really wish it was as easy as just adding a couple switches but from the people I've talked to on the forms it seems like that may be impossible

I don't think there would be anything funky with the cabling at all.

The rear camera winds up cabled, as per the instructions.

The unit itself plugs in under the dash, and to the 17" display connector, as per the instructions.

The only change would be instead of running the cable from inside the cabin out to near the license plate, for the front camera, they would run that cable to the wherever they want to shoot the back seat from. The car would still automatically put the reverse camera on the 17" display when reversing. The regular, "front" view would be whomever is in the back seat. The only issue would be where to mount the back seat camera, and how to hide that cable.

At least that's how I see it.

I didn't really mean funky, but I'd do it differently.. I'd mount the control module inside the rear hatch, plug in both cameras into the module back there, and the single feed that goes to the front of the car.. then you don't have to run any cabling for the rear camera to the front of the car. You could tap into the reverse lights right there for reverse switching. Nice and compact and you don't have to take apart the dash at all.

The only reason I thought the cabling might be different is the male/female connections will be reversed back there as opposed to the connection under the dash. But there are cables to fix that.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I didn't really mean funky, but I'd do it differently.. I'd mount the control module inside the rear hatch, plug in both cameras into the module back there, and the single feed that goes to the front of the car.. then you don't have to run any cabling for the rear camera to the front of the car.

One consideration to take into account if mounting the control unit in the hatch is would it still be able to be controlled via Homelink or not. My guess is that it would, but I think that might be something to try to test somehow if switching via Homelink is important to @Bheuring.