TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB: Roadster 1.5 Silver Forged Wheel - rear

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by tvuolo, Nov 29, 2015.

1. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Does anyone have a Roadster 1.5 Rear Silver Forged Wheel lying around? I hit a pothole and slightly bent my rear right wheel. The shop spent quite a bit of time balancing it to compensate, but it still makes a bit of noise at highway speeds. I'd buy both rears, or the whole set, if you don't want to break it up. Thanks!

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#2 wiztecy, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Be careful, an out of balanced rear wheel that has vibrations will eat up the electric motor's bearings. Reason I say this, I know a friend who's Roadster had a slightly bent rim that they kept driving on. Eventually the motor bearing failed and needed to be replaced by Tesla. I feel the vibration just rattles and shakes things in a way they become off-balance, and with bearings, balance is key for them to wear evenly with the least amount of stress.

Personally I wouldn't be driving on it. If it was a front rim, I'd wouldn't be ask picky but its the rear that's close to all the drivetrain.

I also feel it might be difficult to find a used rear wheel in the forged type since each rim is specific to the side as well as their diameter difference.

I'd seriously price a single rim from Tesla. Note they're much cheaper when buying all four, so you could put a feeler out to see if other's need the other 3 wheels and work out a deal.

3. augkuo

augkuo Member

I had an unbalanced wheel and Tesla replaced it - about $200 for one. You might have to pay more for the forged wheel -

4. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

Is it true that all forged wheels are side-specific? I was under the impression that while the very early wheels were specific to the side, most swirl forward (clockwise) on one side and backwards (counterclockwise) on the other side so they appear to be the same. If your wheels are side-specific and you replace a rear with the wrong wheel, you many have the front wheel spokes swirl one way and the rear wheel swirl the other way.

5. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Yes, this is true.

Tesla wants right around $1000 for ONE, delivered to the service center sometime in the next 3 to 4 months. They did let me know a few shops around town can repair them. I found a shop that will repair it for a bit over $100 + tax, unless it's cracked. I will go this route and see how it goes. 1 day @ $100 is more attractive than 3 to 4 months @ $1K.