TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB: Roadster Black Forged Rims and Roadster stereo Double DIN binnacle

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by shrink, Jun 27, 2014.

1. shrink

shrink Member

If anyone has any of the above parts for sale, please PM me. I'm looking to change the look of my 2.0 Roadster. I want to switch to black forged rims (I have the silver forged rims). I also want to upgrade to a double DIN and install a Car Play compatible headunit.

Thanks.

2. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I just had a double DIN kit installed in my 1.5 this week. Al & Eds has these kits available. It is the only place in the country that has them. I was lucky to have a local shop in OH that has a relationship with them and performed the install with a Parrot head unit. The kit, headunit, and installation ran about $1500.

3. shrink

shrink Member

$1500? Wow. That's a great price. I'll definitely go that route, but with a CarPlay compatible head unit. Now, just to clarify - were you able to get the install done locally or did you ship it off to West Hollywood and back?

Thanks for the info!

4. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Covert Tuning Dynamics in Columbus, OH has a relationship with the folks in California and had all the parts shipped out to install in Ohio. They can do just about any custom project and are currently working on a major project for another local Roadster.

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

DoubleDIN pics... They did an amazing job on the USB port in the tray of my 1.5!!

8amu3y3y.jpg e8yhyza9.jpg

6. shrink

shrink Member

Whoa! That's sharp!!!

I am getting it done - just a matter of when.

Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

7. andy-sf

andy-sf Member

Wow, that was money well spent!

8. shrink

shrink Member

Got the binnacle. Currently pursuing an aftermarket wheel solution. Thanks to all who replied.

9. Strib

Strib Member

I know this is a very old thread - but it's exactly what I want to do to my 1.5 . Does anybody know if this can still be done anywhere?

10. MileHighMotoring

@Strib - have you contacted Al & Eds?

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Shrink, I have thought about changing to black wheels as well and a local place that does powder coating can do my wheels for about $500 so you may want to consider that as at least a back up option.

And to Strib, very nicely done. I will keep that in the back of my mind.

12. Strib

Strib Member

@MileHighMotoring - no not yet. They have several outlets in southern Cal - I'll call one at random and see what I can learn. I'd be fine going and spending some weekend in Santa Monica or Huntington Beach.

13. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

The parts for my car came from Al & Ed's. They are the only place in the country I am aware has them.

14. shrink

shrink Member

I actually powder coated my silver forged wheels satin black about a year ago. They look really, really good. There is and old thread about it somewhere here with pictures.

I also wrote up an unofficial Double-DIN conversion guide. Strib, there are options, but Al and Ed's in West Hollywood might be your best bet. You have to track down number of parts, some of which Tesla will sell, such as the R and L center vents. I did find a CF shop in Ohio that can fab some parts including the new center duct you'll need and stereo frame. They can also cut your original dashboard. I have a full parts list in the unofficial Double-DIN conversion guide I wrote up. My local SC said they could do it, but labor alone was $5500.