Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB salvage or rebuilt model S White Awd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for models awd. Title doesn’t matter. Condition doesn’t matter as I enjoy working on cars.Would like P85, 90, or 100 but okay if they are just awd. Live in the Midwest and would be beneficial. White is a must though.Feel free to pm if worried about snitches...lol

Delete if not allowed mods.

3 problems with your plan:

1. Battery & drive units alone are worth more than $20K so dismantlers will outbid you.

2. Lots of folks want to be the next Rich Rebuilds so they’ve driven (intentional pun) up prices to level where even if you did all the work yourself and valued your time at $0, salvage car and parts would still costs about as much as a clean title car.

3. Tesla is very hostile to repaired cars and you’d face service, updates and especially Supercharging problems which would mean that your salvage title car would not be worth as much as similar cost clean title car.

I’m not saying that these three things are right, just that they are (& you’re not likely to change them on your own), so go into this project with your eyes wide open.

I suggest increasing your budget a bit and then look for a clean title car with prior repair or cosmetic problems you can fix. You’ll be way ahead in the long run. Good luck & welcome to TMC!

3 problems with your plan:

1. Battery & drive units alone are worth more than $20K so dismantlers will outbid you.

2. Lots of folks want to be the next Rich Rebuilds so they’ve driven (intentional pun) up prices to level where even if you did all the work yourself and valued your time at $0, salvage car and parts would still costs about as much as a clean title car.

3. Tesla is very hostile to repaired cars and you’d face service, updates and especially Supercharging problems which would mean that your salvage title car would not be worth as much as similar cost clean title car.

I’m not saying that these three things are right, just that they are (& you’re not likely to change them on your own), so go into this project with your eyes wide open.

I suggest increasing your budget a bit and then look for a clean title car with prior repair or cosmetic problems you can fix. You’ll be way ahead in the long run. Good luck & welcome to TMC!

I hate to say that you are correct but you are. My hope was to find someone who but OTG more than they could chew and wanted to off load it.. I’ve been repairing salvage car since my 20s and have a general understand on what it takes to complete repairs. However this would be my first ev.

If the cost of repairs end up being more than what a used model would cost. I will possibly go that route. Everything is over inflated at the moment and idk when that is going to go downs

I hate to say that you are correct but you are. My hope was to find someone who but OTG more than they could chew and wanted to off load it.. I’ve been repairing salvage car since my 20s and have a general understand on what it takes to complete repairs. However this would be my first ev.

If the cost of repairs end up being more than what a used model would cost. I will possibly go that route. Everything is over inflated at the moment and idk when that is going to go downs

I recommend that you work out how you will deal with the electronics work first, and if you are not adept at rooting / hacking linux systems, you outsource that part of the work to one someone that is adept at it. While I am comfortable at linux, Tesla has made it very and increasingly hard to get root access of your own car. For that reason, when I bought a salvage car I opted to pay someone for that work.

Parts for the age of car you are talking about are readily available through eBay, craigslist, and dismantlers. If you are adept at rebuilds, most of that work should not discourage you as Teslas are essentially "legos for big boys" and are pretty straight forward.

Reactions: Evoforce
I recommend that you work out how you will deal with the electronics work first, and if you are not adept at rooting / hacking linux systems, you outsource that part of the work to one someone that is adept at it. While I am comfortable at linux, Tesla has made it very and increasingly hard to get root access of your own car. For that reason, when I bought a salvage car I opted to pay someone for that work.

Parts for the age of car you are talking about are readily available through eBay, craigslist, and dismantlers. If you are adept at rebuilds, most of that work should not discourage you as Teslas are essentially "legos for big boys" and are pretty straight forward.
Thanks for this! I will definitely leave electronics for the big boys. Is there anyone you can suggest Incase I do find a car. Also on avg do you know how much they charge.
Like I stated before if it’s going to be more cost effect to buy a used one that might be my route.

Thanks for this! I will definitely leave electronics for the big boys. Is there anyone you can suggest Incase I do find a car. Also on avg do you know how much they charge.
Like I stated before if it’s going to be more cost effect to buy a used one that might be my route.

Depending upon what you want, you should set aside at least $1000 for this work. And you should understand that it may require physical access to the car or you shipping the MCU to them to gain access (depends upon the version of software on the car - OLDER IS BETTER).

SpeedRacerM5 here or Ingineer here can help you, although I know they are both very busy.

• Love
Reactions: TesmeG
Thanks so much.
Depending upon what you want, you should set aside at least $1000 for this work. And you should understand that it may require physical access to the car or you shipping the MCU to them to gain access (depends upon the version of software on the car - OLDER IS BETTER).

SpeedRacerM5 here or Ingineer here can help you, although I know they are both very busy.

If you're up for a big project, you could try to copy what rich rebuilds did recently which was to start with a clean title 70D and then swapped in the motor and battery of a salvaged P100DL. From an up-front cash perspective it will certainly cost well North of $20k but if you can score some good deals on the 2 cars and then part out the salvage well it might come in close to $20k

Here's the RR video
They had an out the door price of $33k but that was for 2018 and included $9k of their own labor. If you sub the $9k with your own labor and maybe $1k for someone to do the L337 H4X0R1NG you might be close to $20k if you go a few model years older. Obviously if you're cash strapped rather than just value conscious then this goes out the window.