TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB Salvage Tesla S 85 Salvage

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by EDFCT, Aug 30, 2013.

1. EDFCT

EDFCT New Member

Would like to purchase someones wrecked Tesla. Price depending on condition. All electronics must be in perfect working order but I don't care about the body so much. Playing with a classic car and tinkering with converting it. Not sure if this will work but want to give it a try.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Welcome to the forum. You just missed GasDoc's vehicle by a month or two. Hopefully we won't see another one. If we do see another one, hopefully you'll get it. :)

3. EDFCT

EDFCT New Member

I love my tesla and as bad as it seems to see one wrecked I am thinking there is a second life for these cars with people that like to play with high voltage :biggrin:. I cant imagine tearing mine apart but can totally see myself doing it with a salvage one.

4. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Actually mine isn't sold yet but the deal is pending and it may be gone this week.

I just got it back from the service center. It charges and drives and is asking me if I want to update to 4.5.

About the only thing functionally wringer with it right now is the AC condensers are discharged and disconnected.

I'm having great fun driving it in my driveway and examining the guts under the frunk.

5. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

EDFCT,
    I'd be interested in pitching in on reversing the coms such that the battery/inverter/motor would be of use. I'd be interested in a similar project but would like to have a good long look at the coms side of things to make sure I could retain all the safety interlocks.

6. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

If anyone is in the Bay Area and want to see the innards of the frunk, up close and personal, PM me soon.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Please let us know if that falls through and, if so, what the current asking price is.

If not, gratz on your sale! And enjoy your new vehicle. :)

8. EDFCT

EDFCT New Member

Would love to have the help. I will need to figure out how to change the pictures as well but it will be loads of fun figuring it all out. I have a couple of Remy motors and Reinhart inverters for this project but I needed batteries. The car started out to be the battery only parts car but then I got to thinking it would be loads of fun to tear down a Tesla. I don't want to mess mine up poking around so salvage it is.

If I can get the Tesla I will probably sell the Remy motors and go all Tesla provided I can break into the computer and modify at will. I am bidding on a car this Friday so I will know more then.

9. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

so I'm starting to see a trend in "minor accident = car totaled" ... something we should worry about? GasDoc's got clipped in the front, this ebay one got smacked in the front fender, yet what I would think should be easily repairable on any other vehicle these are being labeled as total loss and non-repairable by insurance companies....

11. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

Have you thought about doing a kit instead of an old classic? it might be be possible to do more than one, even eventually get rolling chassies direct from tesla.

12. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

The airbag was clearly deployed. This was no minor accident since they have replaced the front fender and the hood. I think this is normal routine for insurance companies.