TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

WTB: Tesla 10-30 Adapter

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by dchan81, Dec 11, 2016.

1. dchan81

dchan81 Member

I posted a similar thread earlier this month, but I didn't receive any replies. So I am going to make another request.

i wish to buy a Tesla made NEMA 10-30 adapter (3 prong 240V 30 amp adapter which fits older dryer receptacles).

If you have a Tesla NEMA 10-30 Adapter to sell, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

2. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

3. polymathic

polymathic Member

You can get a JuiceBox Regular Dryer Adapter. Same thing by a third party. About $40.

4. GSP

GSP Member

#4 GSP, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Here is a link to the juice box adapter:

JuiceBox Adapters

Since this adapts to a 14-50 outlet, the UMC will signal to the car that 40 Amps are available. You will have to dial this down to 24 Amps or less (max continuous load on a 30 Amp breaker and wiring, 80% of 30 A).

There are a few things that will cause the car to go back to the 40 Amp default, such as resets after a software update. Even if I had the Jucebox adapter, I would buy the Tesla 10-30 adapter as soon as it becomes available again.

GSP

PS. Another option would to make a 10-30 to 14-30 adapter from a replacement cord for a 10-30 dryer and a 14-30 outlet. Mark it clearly "Tesla charging Only." Then use Tesla's new 14-30 UMC adapter.

PPS. Maybe the very best option is to rewire your 10-30 outlet to either a 14-30 or a 14-50. That way you have a dedicated ground wire for the car charging system, instead of using the neutral wire from your 10-30. I am far from expert on this, but it sounds safer to me.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I've bought and shipped a couple 10-30 adapters to the west coast to help folks out as my SC had them in stock. Tesla should allow for registration of the hardware so the current owners can receive replacements and not just assume it is still in the original purchasers possession.

6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.42

If you haven't tracked one down yet, we have one we could probably part with.

7. timlee

timlee New Member

I also need a 14-30 adapter. Would you be willing to sell yours off to me?

8. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I have a brand new 14-30 you can have for my cost shipped to you. Message if interested