Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: TESLA CHAdeMO Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I'm currently in the market for a Chademo adapter for my MY. If anyone has one has a decent price (not eBay $$$) on selling there's that is just sitting in their garage. Please DM me the information.

PS
Does anyone know how often Tesla restocks their store?

One morality issue: From personal experience I know that there are people online asking to buy a CHAdeMO adapter for the retail (or lower) price, but with the hidden intention of immediately selling it in an inflated market for big bucks (e.g., like on eBay or on Craig's List in the New York area where prices awhile back were up to $800+). Of course, once a seller releases an item to a buyer, it's over and done; the buyer can then do whatever they want. But I'd prefer not to contribute to a Dutch Tulip frenzy (look it up).

Are there ways for sellers to be somewhat more sure of a buyer's intentions? Maybe. In my case, I happened to check Craig's List for availability and prices for CHAdeMO adapters in one potential buyer's home area. That plus the tone of the potential buyer's messages clued me in. Another tip might be if the potential buyer is a brand new forum participant, or has a traceable buying history (in previous online posts). When deals are made in person, sellers can look and listen for tell-tale indications of sincerity and honesty in potential buyers. It's arguably harder to do online. And no matter what, there is no guarantee.

Last edited:
One morality issue: From personal experience I know that there are people online asking to buy a CHAdeMO adapter for the retail (or lower) price, but with the hidden intention of immediately selling it in an inflated market for big bucks (e.g., like the New York area where prices awhile back were like $800+). Of course, once a seller releases an item, it's over and done; the buyer can do what they want. But I'd prefer not to contribute to a Dutch Tulip frenzy (look it up). Are there ways for sellers to be somewhat more sure of a buyer's intentions? In my case, I happened to check Craig's List for availability and prices for CHAdeMO adapters in the seller's home area. That plus the tone of the seller's messages clued me in. Another tip might be if the potential seller is a brand new forum participant, or has a traceable buying history (through previous posts). In-person, sellers can look and listen for tell-tale indications of sincerity and honesty. It's arguably harder to do online.
I appreciate your concern and that shouldn't happen. I just found out in the city that I live in offers free charging for EV cars. The downside is all 14 of them are all CHADeMo chargers. I am trying to buy from the community to stop encouraging people from inflating the prices that I have seen online.

I appreciate your concern and that shouldn't happen. I just found out in the city that I live in offers free charging for EV cars. The downside is all 14 of them are all CHADeMo chargers. I am trying to buy from the community to stop encouraging people from inflating the prices that I have seen online.

First, apologies to you and all readers for my previous post. I've edited it to make a little more sense. (Kept mixing up "seller" and "buyer?")

Second, your need sounds genuine. Hopefully someone on TMC will see this exchange and make one available for you.

Meanwhile, until standard range numbers are routinely up to a true 400 to 500 miles*, we are all going to have at least a touch of range anxiety every now and then. Especially when we discover how many miles can vanish even when the car is just sitting (e.g., in "Dog Mode" or "Sentry Mode"). My new arbitrary rule is that no battery car should be sold with a less-than 300-mile range. (I am amazed when I see the existing EVs of major brands, and even planned EVs, with relatively low range numbers. (And what was Honda thinking when it released the Clarity all-battery version with a range of only 80 miles?)

Unfortunately, carrying multiple adapters around (for any moderate or longer trip) is probably still reasonable, despite the increasing prevalence of SCs. (What was it like for early Model S owners?) I have otherwise intelligent friends who even recently have gone with (plug-in) hybrids because of the latent fear of depending on all-battery cars. The Japan-developed CHAdeMO standard may be on the way out in the US, but in some (rural?) areas it is not only available but even necessary. Tesla CCS adapters may be coming to North America, but when? (Party guessing game: Which will come first: Cybertruck or Tesla CCS adapter?)

Some down-to-earth suggestions:
  • As you are probably already doing, use the TMC Marketplace, Reddit TeslaCLassified sub-reddit, and Craig's List to search. It can be worth checking eBay and Amazon. But the people managing eBay appear to be hell-bent on destroying that once great virtual marketplace. And, as noted, prices at both sites can be way over-inflated due to greedy "scalpers."
  • Establish online searches. EBAY users already know all about searches for items by price, location, condition, etcetera. But Craig's List also has its own fairly powerful search machinery. The software can be a little ungainly, but its manageable. From your local Craig's List account establish searches for CHAdeMO by maximum price, condition, location, or whatever.
  • A recent personal discovery, you can use your local Craig's List account to search for distant Craig's List sales. So for example, an LA-based Craig's List account can alert you to items for sale in Denver, in Boston, or wherever. Figure out the best national markets for Tesla cars in the US (Google that) and focus your searches there. (You can also use Google to search Craig's List listings nationwide.) Not all sellers are willing to ship, but some are.
  • Of course use caution whenever buying an item online, sight unseen. Demand accurate photos and descriptions, and try to use a payment method (say PayPal) that provides some security and return-rights for buyers.
  • And if this function is still available on the Tesla Shop page, ask Tesla to alert you by email when the CHAdeMO adapters are available again.
Good luck.
________
* I was excited for the 500-mile promised Model S Plaid+ range. I remain cautiously excited about Lucid and Cybertruck range promises. Somewhere out there is the Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or Elon Musk of energy storage. When will she appear?