Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Tesla Model S with tech Los Angeles, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want black but can settle for white. Open to other colors if the price is right.
I only want tech and prefer 19" wheels.
I haven't settled on which model yet. I'm open depending on the price.
I will be contacting Tesla for loaners soon. I already have a quote from them for a loaner MS60 in black. I'm assuming you will take off the tax credit since I will not be eligible. If not please don't bother. Thanks for looking. I'm looking forward to owning my own Model S.

Or another way to phrase it, you're assuming that everybody qualifies for the tax credit. That is an incorrect assumption. So don't expect everyone to just give you a $7500 discount because they didn't qualify and you *might* have if you were buying new. A sellers financial status and qualifications is of no concern to you IMO.

Sry that sounds more rude-ish than intended but my point was that I don't think you should expect to get this $7500 discount when it has nothing to do with you in the first place.

ust because the first owner qualified for the credit doesn't mean that should be passed onto you

Why not? If the actual cost of the car was $x after $7.5 tax credit, don't you think it is fair to ask for a resale price based on what the owner actually paid for? I had someone send me a quote which was $1000 more than he/she paid for, and it absolutely made no sense at all as in that case I might as well buy a new one which in the end will cost me less (with the Fed-tax credit).

This reminds of some folks who will buy electronic items, get the mail-in rebates and such, and return it back to the store and actually make some money out of the transaction.

Ultimately the market will determine the price, I understand that. But the OP is perfectly in his rights to ask $7.5K to be taken out of the equation.

If the actual cost of the car was $x after $7.5 tax credit, don't you think it is fair to ask for a resale price based on what the owner actually paid for?

Absolutely 100% NOT.

If I bought a house on short sale for $40k, and I cleaned it up and it was appraised at $200k, do you think I should sell it to the buyer for $40k because that is what I paid for it?

I would never pass this onto the next buyer so keep dreaming.

In that case you are limiting yourself to those that don't qualify for a tax credit, which would be very small percent of potential model S buyers.

I will be hard pressed to find someone who can afford to buy a $80K car, but does not have $7500 tax liability !

House values appreciate. Cars don't. Analogy is completely incorrect.

Exactly Mkjayakumar. Also, just because your house was appraised at 200k doesn't mean that is what buyers will be willing to pay. The market decides that. It's about supply and demand. You might get more and you can certainly get less.

Why would I pay new car price for a used vehicle and not be eligible for the tax deductions? Even Tesla discounts their loaner cars. I have seen many Tesla owners trying to upgrade but yet they want to sell their cars at about the same price as TM without the tax deductions. Obviously if you want to sell you will have to sell at a lower price than a discounted loaner with tax deductions which many times will have lower mileage than current sellers. If not good luck finding a buyer.

I'm just being honest with what I'm willing to pay to take a car off their hands whatever the reason may be. If someone is willing...great...if not then I buy direct so stop drinking the haterade.

Exactly Mkjayakumar. Also, just because your house was appraised at 200k doesn't mean that is what buyers will be willing to pay. The market decides that. It's about supply and demand. You might get more and you can certainly get less.

Why would I pay new car price for a used vehicle and not be eligible for the tax deductions? Even Tesla discounts their loaner cars. I have seen many Tesla owners trying to upgrade but yet they want to sell their cars at about the same price as TM without the tax deductions. Obviously if you want to sell you will have to sell at a lower price than a discounted loaner with tax deductions which many times will have lower mileage than current sellers. If not good luck finding a buyer.

I'm just being honest with what I'm willing to pay to take a car off their hands whatever the reason may be. If someone is willing...great...if not then I buy direct so stop drinking the haterade.
Nobody is hating. We are just being realistic, just look at the used prices that sellers got/are getting. Like it or not, if one wants a Model S at this time, it's going to cost you.

You have to pay tax on it (or any car--new or used in Texas--it's the law). 6.25%.
Dude 6.25! I have to pay 9....sigh. Too bad you aren't local. I would love to check out your car. Something about paying 99k for something I can't check out first makes me uneasy. Also I love how people are turning on you for your low mileage. Some of these peeps need to calm down. You say or do anything against their beliefs about the car and its the end of the world. Chillax we are fans of the cars too.

Dude 6.25! I have to pay 9....sigh. Too bad you aren't local. I would love to check out your car. Something about paying 99k for something I can't check out first makes me uneasy. Also I love how people are turning on you for your low mileage. Some of these peeps need to calm down. You say or do anything against their beliefs about the car and its the end of the world. Chillax we are fans of the cars too.
Take a quick vacation to Texas. It's "only" 1379 miles (back) from Austin to Los Angeles. ;)

I paid 0%. No sales tax on zero emission vehicles in NJ. No luxury tax either. Just thought I'd rub it in.

I have an auto broker friend who is putting mine up for sale for me tomorrow. Asking $97K, but will consider including shipping to L.A. with a reasonable offer. I'll have pics tomorrow. Identically equipped it'd be over $112,000 new today, or about $104K after the tax credit.

- 2013 Performance 85
- 6,800 miles
- Excellent condition, garaged, non-smoker
- Black Exterior, Black Nappa Leather Interior, Carbon Fiber Trim
- Pano Roof
- Tech Package
- Grey 21" Wheels
- Sound Studio Package
- Carbon Fiber Trunklid Spoiler
- Supercharger Hardware
- Active Air Suspension

I have an auto broker friend who is putting mine up for sale for me tomorrow. Asking $97K, but will consider including shipping to L.A. with a reasonable offer. I'll have pics tomorrow. Identically equipped it'd be over $112,000 new today, or about $104K after the tax credit.

- 2013 Performance 85
- 6,800 miles
- Excellent condition, garaged, non-smoker
- Black Exterior, Black Nappa Leather Interior, Carbon Fiber Trim
- Pano Roof
- Tech Package
- Grey 21" Wheels
- Sound Studio Package
- Carbon Fiber Trunklid Spoiler
- Supercharger Hardware
- Active Air Suspension

Sold P85+ with 550 miles for $98K. Good luck on $97K on P with 6800 miles.

The one thing I learned is the secondary market for Tesla is TERRIBLE. Will loose your shorts if you sell, so make sure you want one before you buy!