Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB Tesla Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the response kwellmey! Definitely prefer an R80 because of battery concerns. I will look at the thread you linked :)
Just be sure you know what you are getting into...do your research. While the R80 cars command big money, the R80 battery pack upgrade was suspended by Tesla due to poor performance. Tesla is rumored to possibly be releasing an improved pack soon.

Last edited:
Just be sure you know what you are getting into...do your research. While the R80 cars command big money, the R80 battery pack upgrade was suspended by Tesla due to poor performance. Tesla is rumored to possibly be releasing an improved pack soon.
I think you might be off base here, as an owner with a 3.0 battery. It is very unfortunately Tesla has not been upfront as to why the 3.0 was pulled. I do not think we really know and it could be as simple as they needed the people in the Model 3 ramp. I do agree there was a significant drop in range the first 18 months, but that drop has GREATLY slowed and is now in line with the first generation battery. I have the track slips to show the 3.0 is noticeably faster as there is far less voltage sag, especially above 60 mph. Finally even after nearly 3 years my standard range charge is still well north of even a new base battery. So I agree with the poster that one would be concerned about the initial 12 year old batteries and I am unfortunately seeing far more posts of bricked batteries these days.

Range_Graph.JPG

That said I am considering selling my 1.5/3.0 Roadster

Roadster_255_left.jpg

Tesla Roadster 1.5 with 3.0 Battery for Sale $69,500

Own the original that started the EV revolution, upgraded with the latest battery technology from Tesla. The Roadster is an all-electric sports car produced by, California based Tesla Motors, the Tesla Roadster is innovative, efficient, and seductively beautiful; and few things, can boast all three! Perhaps more importantly, the winner of Time Magazine’s 2008 Best Transportation Invention, Popular Mechanics 2006 Breakthrough Award, du Pont Registry’s 2009 Best Green Exotic, and Forbes Magazine’s “Best new car that lived up to the hype”, the Tesla Roadster paved the way to environmentally friendly performance in modern cars. The Roadster has phenomenal acceleration silently rocketing you to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds (3.8 with battery upgrade). As one expects of an automobile designed by Lotus, steering is tight and responsive, and the driver feels at one with both the car and the road. The car has about 56,000 miles and has been garage kept, is in very good shape, and serviced mostly by Tesla.

Factory options (Invoice was $109,000):

· Carbon fiber hard top (in addition to soft top) $5000
· Premium sound system & navigation $3000
· 240v & 120v Charging cables (standard)
· Forged Alloy wheels
· Soft top with storage bag

Over $41,000 of additional options added over last 8 years:
· 3.0 Battery upgrade giving 310 miles of range and a performance boost $29,000
o Battery & Power Electronics Module (PEM) warrantied until July 2020
· Sound Reduction Package Stage 1 $3000
· Sound Reduction Package Stage 2 (note even then the Roadster is not a quiet car) $1000
· Tesla HID headlamp upgrade $2400
· High Power Wall Connector (for charging up to 70 amps) $1950
· Tesla Carbon Fiber door sills $1400
· J-1772 adapter (CAN JR) for charging at more than 21,000 public charging stations $650
· Model S adapter (CAN SR) for charging at over 4,700 Tesla destination AC chargers $650
· Hitch – Used for bicycle rack (or to tow gas cars who have run out of gas J) $350
· Tesla Hard Top Storage bag $250
· Boot Bag for nearly double the storage on road trips $200
· OVMS to track/charge your Roadster (will require GPRS SIMM card) $120
· Black vinyl protection below the doors can be removed if desired. $100
· Additional pre-filter for PEM and motor to help keep them clean and cool

This first-generation Roadster has some nice features as they decontented later models such as:
· Carbon fiber center console and trunk well.
· Military grade quick connections on PEM
· Adjustable lumbar (while driving) and seats that are slightly thinner for more headroom
· VDS display by door (charging settings) is easily reached without having to climb in the car
· Full performance power is the default driving mode
· Storage shelf that is much larger than 2.x glove box
· No 12v battery which has proven to be a headache in the 2.x models.
· Reliable TPMS

Standard equipment
· Air Conditioning/Heating
· Power Windows
· Remote Keyless Entry (two keys)
· Dual Front Impact Airbags
· Low Tire Pressure Monitoring System
· Cruise Control
· Removable Targa top
· Integrated Garage Door Transmitter
· Heated leather seats

Details are at Dropbox - 2008_Roadster - Simplify your life