Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: Tesla Supercharger Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
So, I've noticed Tesla has been replacing many of the supercharger cables with newer ones at stations I've been too lately.

Well, this means there are old cables somewhere...... and I want some of them.

Contact me if you have any of these, know someone who does, or otherwise have a lead on who I can talk to in order to get a hold of a two or more.

I will not buy cables that have been cut/stolen/etc. So, this seems to leave only the older style cables (with the button that is cut out, not the new one piece ones) that were removed and replaced with newer ones.... unless you're a legitimate contact at Tesla with a legal source for my purchase of the newer ones.

For clarification: Cable with the Tesla connector on one end and lugs on the other.... I can add lugs if needed.

Tesla never wants to respond to my inquiries on purchasing these...... :rolleyes:

I think a fair starting price would be $500 each, but negotiable.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that this means your project of building your own DCFC based on the CHAdeMO adapter is starting to make progress again?

How cool.

I'm still waiting for Tesla to announce the "new charger" that they teased with the Tesla Solar and Powerwall 2 announcement. (I was expecting it to be a DC based charger.)

Dude, why isn't some company paying you $1MM+ a year to do in-house engineering on their EVs? You're a one man powerhouse.

I've had some offers, but everyone, including Tesla, wants me to move elsewhere. I'm not moving... especially not to California, but will gladly entertain contract work I can do from my own workshop or somewhere local.

@wk057 you can make your own cable (for testing) that is what we did to make sure it would fit before testing at an official Supercharger (basically played back the can messages after we swapped the guts over into a 2012 Fisker Karma). Biggest issue is getting the cables crimped, which we had done by a company that works with the local power utility.

Our car has completely Model S running gear (HVJB, Motors, Chargers, DC/DC, HVAC etc) with an active Supercharger "license" . Just a different body

@wk057 you can make your own cable (for testing) that is what we did to make sure it would fit before testing at an official Supercharger (basically played back the can messages after we swapped the guts over into a 2012 Fisker Karma). Biggest issue is getting the cables crimped, which we had done by a company that works with the local power utility.

Our car has completely Model S running gear (HVJB, Motors, Chargers, DC/DC, HVAC etc) with an active Supercharger "license" . Just a different body
Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 10.35.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 10.35.15 AM.png

I've had some offers, but everyone, including Tesla, wants me to move elsewhere. I'm not moving... especially not to California, but will gladly entertain contract work I can do from my own workshop or somewhere local.

Let's be realistic, here. You could never work for Tesla because if you did, they'd make you sign something that would have you agreeing to stop needling them publicly, and I don't think there's any amount they could pay you that would cause you to agree to that! You enjoy poking the bear far too much to be bought off! :)

We t
Where can we see more details? This is fascinating.
We documented a portion of the build on our instagram

We essentially took two P85 salvaged vehicles and used the rear drive units to create an AWD 2012 Fisker Karma. Our initial plan was to use a complete P85D but could not find a suitable one for sale on Copart. Don't want to go too far OT here but if the OP is looking for a supercharger cable (for test purposes) the easiest way is to build it. Biggest issue is EMC while charging on the communication bus which creates a substantial disturbance, most of it comes from the HVJB- had to relocate that to the front of the vehicle.