TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB: Tesla Wall Connector

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by superm1, Jul 3, 2016.

1. superm1

superm1 Member

Located in SF Bay Area. Long delay online and can't find any local stock.

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Do you really need to charge at 58 miles per hour? 29 miles per hour overnight is less expensive and fits the bill for most... Might want to install NEMA 14-50 first, then pick up the HPWC when it becomes available.

• Informative x 1
  3. Kikta

Kikta New Member

I just wrote-up my hybrid solution for the Wall Connector on Instructables. Install the 14-50 outlet, but have the clean look of the Wall Connector.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I am confused. Why did you not just punch into the panel behind the WC and wire it in directly?

5. Kikta

Kikta New Member

The only commitment I have to the Tesla Wall Connector is two screws into the wall. If I change to a non-Tesla vehicle or otherwise want to change the charger in the future it is not a permanent installation. Also, I will be able to utilize the plug for a welder...

6. Cowby

Cowby Member

Nice! I did the same, but with a 6-50 outlet. Easily movable/swappable as needed.

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

The plug part I understand. But a #2 wire from the panel could net you a higher charge if the panel load can take it. Since you will probably charge off hours, I suspect the panel load could take the 100 amp breaker.

But I do see the point about taking your charger with you. :)