Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB TPMS tool that Tesla used to sell

TOBASH

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2014
Rockaway Beach, New York
Some of you might have it, and I need one.

I need to re-do my TPMS sensors and then re-marry them to my Roadster (2.5 base, 2011).

Frustrating that the company makes tyhe device BUT Tesla refuses to allow them to sell the Firmware/Software to make it work on our vehicles.

Best,

T

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi Tobash,

I have been looking to buy one for years...
I got a loaner from a TMC member and worked up a solution that works...
If/when you get a good set of sensors installed in your car,
a "normal" TPMS tool can get their addresses,
write their locations,
"my tool" will write the addresses to the car ECU...

Available for loan...

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: hcsharp

hcsharp

Jun 7, 2011
Vermont
Anyone able to share the firmware/software?
The firmware is ridiculously simple. You'll see it when he lends you the tool. Last I heard was that Mark had Shawn's tool in HK and was considering adding it as a feature to OVMS, but it would require some additional hardware.

Reactions: drewski

TOBASH

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2014
Rockaway Beach, New York
So, can the existing Tire TPMS sensors be carefully opened and have batteries replaced OR what TPMS sensors should I now purchase.
Now that I know there is a tool out there I can get moving on ridding myself of the alerts.

Thanks one and all,

T

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi Charles,

The sensors' batteries are potted in epoxy.
They cannot be replaced and must be trashed...

You may purchase new sensors from Tesla, eBay, or your trusted tire store.

If the batteries are barely functional, the tire store may be able to retrieve their addresses and clone new sensors...
If they cannot be read with a sensor tool - they have their addresses printed on them...

The easiest path would be to remove one tire at a time (USING ROADSTER COMPATIBLE LIFT METHODS)
Lift the car as low as possible to remove one tire at a time.. Use only marked lifting points.
If the address can be retrieved great - clone a new sensor, put sensor in tire, and replace the tire - repeat as needed...
If all of the sensors can be cloned and replaced to their original location - there is no need for my tool.
After driving up to 3 miles the sensor information will populate in the VDS.
Always advisable to replace all 4 sensors at a time...

If the sensors cannot be cloned have them all replaced and record their addresses and locations.
Then it will be necessary to use my tool to program the car ECU.

Be sure when buying sensors that you make sure the vendor checks to make sure the sensors are compatible
with Roadsters serial 501 and above...
500 and below use Beru sensors and are not compatible with your car...

Sensor details 433 Mhz - Tesla OEM part number 6004985, Dill 2112, FS1510, FS1511.....

Good luck,

Shawn

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC