TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB: UMC, HPC, or HPWC

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by smorgasbord, Jan 6, 2014.

1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

There - got a posting subject that's all acronyms.

I'm looking to buy - new or used - a charger for my Tesla. I'll take a Roadster UMC, a Model S UMC, a Roadster HPC, or a Model S HPWC. Heck, I'll even take a 40amp or larger J1772 charger if you got one of those to sell.

Since a Model S UMC is $650 new, I'm looking to spend enough less than that to make it worthwhile to not buy that from Tesla. I'm located in Northern CA.

2. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

3. jory

jory Member

we just bought two of these (basic model, assembled) to install at our office. i thought they were 50A, but looking at their site it seems to be a bit higher:

"enable J1772 charging of your vehicle up to 240V 60A (output current limit is user-adjustable)"

we are waiting on one final cable to plug into the new sub panel we had installed then we'll see how they work.

4. 772

772 Member

Interesting... what are you using to plug it in at those high amps? Or are you just connecting it directly to the sub panel?

Rifleman - do you use this EVSE? I wanted to opt for OpenEVSE @75A, but I'm having some trouble finding good enclosures and J1772 cable rated higher than 70A.

/sorry for thread hijack

5. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

No, I use a GM Voltec 15 amp EVSE that I connected a 14-50 pigtale to so I can plug it into my 14-50 outlet. If this unit was avaiable in 2012 when I bought my voltec charger, I would have definitely bought this one over it.

6. Tommy

Tommy Member

#6 Tommy, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Contact your SC and see if they won't sell you the UMC "unbundled" i.e. no carrying bag or adapters. Several posters (various threads) have reported the SC selling the UMC to them as a single item for $480. I went this route to get my second UMC; paid the $480.