TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WTF - Biggest moment in auto history - buried under presidential debate??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Oct 19, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

This is obviously no accident - but what's the strategy here?

This is the single biggest announcement in the history of both automobiles and consumer robotics.

WTF?????

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

Not everyone lives under a rock. This will make it's rounds through the media. I didn't expect this to be on the front page anyways.

3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm just saying the timing looks like it was done on purpose to minimize press coverage - burying it until everybody is busy watching another huge event. So, I'm trying to understand the strategy.

4. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Agreed. So strange.

5. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Honestly I think this is mostly marketing. Many cars have lots of cameras. The hardware is easy, but software is very hard. To say your car is L5 ready is meaningless. Until the software is there to actually make it happen, it's just all talk and no different from any other cars really.

• Like x 6
  6. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

They are pretty much sold out for an entire year anyways and are a month behind on S/X deliveries. I don't think they are hoping for a huge flood of S/X orders.

• Like x 1
  7. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

I think that's a good point. They're hoping to demo a cross country drive in "late 2017." So, we're still a couple years from this actually getting to consumers. And, apparently, it will be a step backwards for a while... possibly for the next year. So, it's a great time to buy now (if you're a new Tesla owner or pre-Autopilot) but I don't think any current owners have any need to upgrade for at least a year.

8. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Unless the price goes nuts. I'm eyeing the order page and the 60 battery is still available on the S. If I wait - I dunno.

• Like x 2
  9. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

The timing has to do with their speed of improvement. They can't wait, they needed to announce this as soon as it was ready, in order to get cars on the road with the full sensor suite, to collect enough data to switch on the perfected software sooner.

• Like x 3
  10. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Good point actually.

11. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

You'll notice that what they did also was raise the price of the car $8k but they gave a damn good justification for it.

12. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

If I ordered yesterday I wonder if I would've gotten the updated autopilot for the original price.

13. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

"Biggest Moment"......LOL, dream on buddy!

14. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Name a bigger moment - buddy. Not counting the day Henry Ford started accepting orders for the Model T.

This is also the biggest moment in the entire history of consumer robotics. This is the first consumer robot available for purchase which will change patterns of real estate development, traffic and job locations. Dean Kamen's genius products like stair climbing wheelchairs are relevant to a very small group of people. irobot's vacuum cleaners are marvels of engineering but again, have a small impact on society.

But the self driving car has huge implications for the job market, employment, inequality, real measures of per capita GDP, the well being of the ill and infirm. The ground is shifting beneath us - this stuff is out of the lab and into our hands. Hold on for the ride...

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Well....I watched the debate....It was awesome.

• Like x 1
  16. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Stressful isn't it? What's there now may not be in the morning. The past few weeks have seen a lot of changes to both the S and X.

I agree that this is a big step forward. When we have full autonomy it will change everything.

• Like x 1
  17. dinkoh

dinkoh Member

I think you're way overstating it. It's really improved city planning and public transit that will really shape our future, not self driving cars. You'll see some improvement in transit times when everyone subscribes to it. Who knows when that will be.

18. HookBill

HookBill Member

They most probably only increased the price another $5K because the majority ordering recently more than likely would have paid $3K for AP1 anyway.

• Like x 1
  19. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

It isn't the biggest announcement until the new hardware collects enough data and the software is refined enough to gain regulatory approval. That could be 2 years, it could be 10 years, or anything in between.

• Like x 2
  20. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

The bigger moment is when they annouce a self driving car.

What they announced is a bunch of cameras/sensors and a new computer. You can likely go to mouser/ali/amazon today and order everything that got announced. Thats not where the breakthrough lies.

• Like x 2