Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wtf: Requirement To Pre-sign "service Appointment Estimate" Before Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else seen this thing yet? It was accompanied by a text from the "Tesla Virtual Service Team" telling me that they will not look at any non-safety related issues my car has (implying that even if I have other warranty-covered issues, they will not be addressed).

...will not look at any non-safety related issues my car has (implying that even if I have other warranty-covered issues, they will not be addressed).

"Look" sounds like an inspection.

It's hard to tell without the whole language.

It sounds like they are volunteering to inspect safety issues inspections such as free tire pressure check and fill up, or an air bag recall....

But they are not going to inspect your non-safety issues such as cabin air filter for free.

Put it in another way, general inspection is not free, it costs some money if you want it.

Look "at" and look "for" are different. You are conflating them.

Explicitly they are fixing my ADAS system which has been broken for months.

My auto-open driver door does not work. They will not look at it. This seems like a straight violation of warranty terms.

A friend at the FTC told me not to sign the pre-service invoice and that I should forward her the email -- especially since this new invoice doesn't match my previous invoice form them that had open issues. Shady company.

It is fairly common for dealers to have you sign a pre-service form that says that if they look at the problem and determine that it is caused by abuse/external damage that it won't be covered under warranty and you will have to at a minimum pay the diagnosis fee, and then optionally pay to repair it once they notified you of the estimated cost to repair.

If it is covered under warranty they won't charge for anything for the diagnosis or repair.

Reactions: CarlK
It is fairly common for dealers to have you sign a pre-service form that says that if they look at the problem and determine that it is caused by abuse/external damage that it won't be covered under warranty and you will have to at a minimum pay the diagnosis fee, and then optionally pay to repair it once they notified you of the estimated cost to repair.

If it is covered under warranty they won't charge for anything for the diagnosis or repair.
Yes, I know this. It also isn't even remotely close to what I was talking about.

Can you post the wording?
The text:

texttesla.jpeg

All that is saying is that they have already allocated time for your service and that you can't add additional non-safety things to this appointment because they don't have time. Which seems perfectly reasonable, they ask that you tell them everything you want looked at before you arrive.

The wording we want to see is what is on the service appointment estimate that you are being asked to sign.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
All that is saying is that they have already allocated time for your service and that you can't add additional non-safety things to this appointment because they don't have time. Which seems perfectly reasonable, they ask that you tell them everything you want looked at before you arrive.

The wording we want to see is what is on the service appointment estimate that you are being asked to sign.
They never asked me.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
? <- a question mark.
Your list of concerns should have been included when you created the appointment and are what you're agreeing to have looked at in the appointment estimate. If there are other warranty items to be addressed that you didn't include in the original request then you need to inform them before you show up. There was no '?' because they didn't ask you a question. Now, if you show up with an additional safety related issue that wasn't in the original request, they'll accommodate it because of safety.

• Informative
I had the same experience on my last service appointment in mid-May. Initially it was a shock, but I came to understand that it was their new way to streamline service visits. I will accept this one as a cost-saving trade-off and growing pain. I do not accept certain other things they are doing, about which I have posted in other threads.

Cheers,

Skip

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
Has anyone else seen this thing yet? It was accompanied by a text from the "Tesla Virtual Service Team" telling me that they will not look at any non-safety related issues my car has (implying that even if I have other warranty-covered issues, they will not be addressed).

Yes, it just means you have to include everything you want them to look at when you make the original appointment . No showing up day of and requesting they address a broken door handle if that wasn't on your original appointment request. They will schedule a new appointment to address those items at a future date.

It stinks, but I now just include the whole laundry list of things I want looked at in my appointment request now.

Thanks. This has now become a relatively minor annoyance since Tesla has upped the game: refusing to replace my DAS even though they found an issue in it. They actually twice tried to replace it with mobile service, but they couldn't get a new one to update firmware remotely. So now they've decided just not to do it.

• Informative