Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTF TESLA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So USA gets referral program bumped to 2000 miles and Canada appears to still be at 1500kms? I was cool with pretending that 1000 miles doesn't actually translate to 1600kms but now I'm supposed to pretend that 2000 miles translates to 1500kms?

We know you don't care about us since you've been stealing up all our superchargers but it's starting to get a little offensive at this point.

Sorry that you feel offended, but to me, free Supercharging bonus from the Referral Program is a bonus. I was never offered Free Supercharging with my Model 3 purchase and happily purchased my Model 3 with paid per use Supercharging if I wish to Supercharge. The Referral Program is entirely optional and a fun way to encourage word of mouth marketing. There are parts of the world (such as BC) where the referral program is actually prohibited by law and owners don't get any Supercharging credit even when someone uses their referral code. I am just appreciative that I am able to participate in the program and get Supercharging credits. Tesla doesn't owe us anything.. and you're not forced to participate and earn credits if you are not interested or don't feel that it's worth your time

Reactions: 525SNAP
So USA gets referral program bumped to 2000 miles and Canada appears to still be at 1500kms? I was cool with pretending that 1000 miles doesn't actually translate to 1600kms but now I'm supposed to pretend that 2000 miles translates to 1500kms?

We know you don't care about us since you've been stealing up all our superchargers but it's starting to get a little offensive at this point.
Well, doesn't surprise me much. I had 2 referrals that were 'denied' during the time when the 7500km promotion was on. Both cars were purchased without going through the referral link. They were supposed to use the link but forgot, and when I noticed no pending purchase showed up in my Tesla account we found out they didn't go through the right process. This was literally 1-2 days after purchase and when they followed up with Tesla they were assured that it would be added after the fact. Fast forward 3 months later and Tesla said 'no'....one person argued and eventually got a service credit equal to the supercharging value on their account, but my other buddy got hosed as well and didn't get any supercharging with his tesla since he technically used no referral code at all :cool:

Now, that was for 7500km, but to be honest that's really only around $300-400 of supercharging. In your case 2000 miles would be 3200 km, so 1700 km of 'missing' supercharging is really only ~$75. One could say its peanuts to Tesla and they should just enable that, and I would agree with that...but the reality here is its probably not going to happen/not worth fighting them over.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
To add to my point above about the 'cost' you are out....phantom losses in a Tesla over 1 year of ownership are roughly about $80, so the 'lost' supercharging is less expensive than the cost of just having the Tesla sit and do nothing for a year :)

If you are up for it, I'll gladly pay you for 1700km in supercharging if I can get the deal you got on your P3D-, which cost you close to 10k less than what my AWD cost me last september :p

Reactions: RiverBrick
Ya so there was a bit of obviously not interpreted internet sarcasm in my post with the last part about the superchargers that maybe came across a little harsh. No Tesla doesn't owe me anything technically but they obviously think these refferals work or they wouldn't do them. If they're going to bump them for the US, it seems fair to extend the offer to the friendly neighbours upstairs. I go out of my way to talk to people I wouldn't normally talk to when they ask me about my car and I'd go as far as driving to someone's house if they really wanted to learn about EVs and I'm planning to drive 4 hours in a couple weeks for a public awareness EV event in another province. I don't expect Tesla to give me anything for this but if they are rewarding some for it, it only seems fair we are all rewarded evenly. I know we're an irrelevant slice of the pie on a global sense but we have been extremely supportive of Tesla as a country so far considering the lack of superchargers and service centers to date. I'm also certain having us would have helped vital cold weather R&D and been an important part of cash flow for the company early on. Now that they are so focused on global domination, I just don't want them to forget where they came from. To be successful they should perfect the markets they are in rather than looking for greener grass.

here's some math

1000 miles = about 1600 kms
1600 kms at an average charging rate of 750km range/hr SC for model3 = 2.1 hrs or 128 minutes

128 minutes at even the expensive rate of $0.40/min = $51.20

You started a thread called WTF TESLA for $51.20.

Start a gofundme...I'll kick in $10 for you.

#prayforSupraDude

Yeah, there's an interesting dynamic on this forum. There are those of us who feel it's a public place to openly express our opinions, feedback and share our love of the car and there are those of us who have a "Tesla can do no wrong" mentality. The honest truth is by sheltering them and shaming people that give feedback, you aren't helping them become better and ultimately successful. If I wasn't open-minded and couldn't see the bigger picture, I wouldn't own a Tesla. The key to their real success is convincing the rest of the not open-minded public that they make sense to purchase. Tesla knows advertising doesn't accomplish this and the only real way to sell EVs is independent interaction with actual EV owners, it's exactly this reason why they have a referral program and I'd guess their metrics prove that when the referral program is increased, it leads to increased sales. Notably, this comes at times when we expect Tesla is pushing for sales, so again we can conclude that it works. Some may have missed my intended and (evidently not clear enough) over the top exaggeration with the naming of this thread and the way I callously expressed my point but the point itself is valid; if Tesla increases USA referrals, it only makes sense to increase Canada as well. It's not really about the $51, it's that I do care about their success and I just don't get why they would do it there and not here. When you're trying to grow a brand in a foreign market, the last thing you want is for that market to get a perceived opinion that they don't matter.

However, all that said, yes, I will gladly take your $10 bucks.

Reactions: Mobsidian and Jerk
here's some math

1000 miles = about 1600 kms
1600 kms at an average charging rate of 750km range/hr SC for model3 = 2.1 hrs or 128 minutes

128 minutes at even the expensive rate of $0.40/min = $51.20

You started a thread called WTF TESLA for $51.20.

Start a gofundme...I'll kick in $10 for you.

#prayforSupraDude
Couldn't agree with this more. Really man? Take what you can get as bonus. If you feel like this is an injustice, tweet tesla or elon musk and you might get a response.

Supercharging Boost now available in Canada! 3000km of free Supercharging credit for vehicles delivered by Oct 1, 2019

Limits
Related vehicle orders must be placed on or after September 13, 2019. Referred vehicle orders must be delivered before October 1, 2019 to qualify for awards. Model Y and used vehicle orders are not eligible. New or leased Model S, Model X and Model 3 orders are eligible. Orders must be placed through an active referral link in order to qualify for referral benefits.

Supercharging Boost now available in Canada! 3000km of free Supercharging credit for vehicles delivered by Oct 1, 2019

Limits
Related vehicle orders must be placed on or after September 13, 2019. Referred vehicle orders must be delivered before October 1, 2019 to qualify for awards. Model Y and used vehicle orders are not eligible. New or leased Model S, Model X and Model 3 orders are eligible. Orders must be placed through an active referral link in order to qualify for referral benefits.
I saw this update tonight too. But my app says "Related vehicle orders must be placed on or after September 10, 2019".

The honest truth is by sheltering them and shaming people that give feedback, you aren't helping them become better and ultimately successful.

You also have to understand that folks who complain about every little thing, will scare off people who would be happily owning a Tesla today. I was one of those spooked folks about all the complaining/negative feedback online, and asking what would I be getting myself into. I just said screw it, and am very happy so far. There is a lot of complaining by folks on here, that I sometimes shake my head too, but there are valid concerns too. I think this case, there is just a number of folks who think this doesn't require initial reaction provided. Good news is that as someone said, it was simply delayed to arrive in Canada!

Reactions: Vawlkus and 525SNAP
Yeah, there's an interesting dynamic on this forum. There are those of us who feel it's a public place to openly express our opinions, feedback and share our love of the car and there are those of us who have a "Tesla can do no wrong" mentality. The honest truth is by sheltering them and shaming people that give feedback, you aren't helping them become better and ultimately successful. If I wasn't open-minded and couldn't see the bigger picture, I wouldn't own a Tesla. The key to their real success is convincing the rest of the not open-minded public that they make sense to purchase. Tesla knows advertising doesn't accomplish this and the only real way to sell EVs is independent interaction with actual EV owners, it's exactly this reason why they have a referral program and I'd guess their metrics prove that when the referral program is increased, it leads to increased sales. Notably, this comes at times when we expect Tesla is pushing for sales, so again we can conclude that it works. Some may have missed my intended and (evidently not clear enough) over the top exaggeration with the naming of this thread and the way I callously expressed my point but the point itself is valid; if Tesla increases USA referrals, it only makes sense to increase Canada as well. It's not really about the $51, it's that I do care about their success and I just don't get why they would do it there and not here. When you're trying to grow a brand in a foreign market, the last thing you want is for that market to get a perceived opinion that they don't matter.

However, all that said, yes, I will gladly take your $10 bucks.

Really? Marketing is always per specific market, whether cars or cigarettes. No promotion is global. Tesla does different promotions for the US market than Canada or UK or Japan or ...

Chill, man. Last time I checked Canadian $ =/= US $, and the import rules and EV subsidies for cars in Canada are different than USA. They are different markets.