Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wtf: X drivers and poor SC ettiquette.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBE96BE4-3B39-4942-9A9A-B50B713ACF84.jpeg Driving home from Minneapolis to Chicago. At both Rochester and Madison East (the one with 3 chargers), an X driver parked over the lines, making a charger inaccessible.

Luckily at the Madison SC, the driver of an S that was charging was in his car. He saw that we couldn’t get in and he moved his car as far over as possible so we could fit. Lifesaver so we could get charge and get home.

if this is yours, you suck:

Welcome to the world of Tesla - where backing up to park is a foreign ability that most of the drivers fail at. Many Tesla drivers, from what I've seen, have NEVER in their life parked in reverse, and it shows time and time again at the various superchargers (Southern California). I can be sitting in my X charging up, and observe numerous failed attempts/near misses/scary situations.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Ike
Welcome to the world of Tesla - where backing up to park is a foreign ability that most of the drivers fail at. Many Tesla drivers, from what I've seen, have NEVER in their life parked in reverse, and it shows time and time again at the various superchargers (Southern California). I can be sitting in my X charging up, and observe numerous failed attempts/near misses/scary situations.
Damn Asian drivers!!!

I can say that... I’m Asian

The lady in Rochester was even sitting in her X. I asked her if she was parked like that because one of the chargers wasn’t working. I was being charitable. She said she didn’t know and that she “had no idea she was blocking a charger.” She was straight up parked at an angle, butt in one stall/ nose in the other. There is no conceivable world in which she could both be not a clown and not aware of how she was parked. I pointed out that if another car came, there’s be no empty available chargers. She said “well I’ll be done pretty soon” and didn’t move.
Mage was still there when I left 10 minutes later.

• Funny

Well to be fair I will say that there seems to be an offset with the fisheye of the rear camera and the lines that leads almost every Tesla owner including myself to park crooked. No excuse for going over the lines but I think there is something to the camera and the ability to back in a spot straight.

View attachment 475859 Driving home from Minneapolis to Chicago. At both Rochester and Madison East (the one with 3 chargers), an X driver parked over the lines, making a charger inaccessible.

Luckily at the Madison SC, the driver of an S that was charging was in his car. He saw that we couldn’t get in and he moved his car as far over as possible so we could fit. Lifesaver so we could get charge and get home.

The parking is not that bad and seems like an honest mistake. You also could have gone a mile down the street to the Hyvee Tesla Superchargers which are usually faster. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

View attachment 475859 Driving home from Minneapolis to Chicago. At both Rochester and Madison East (the one with 3 chargers), an X driver parked over the lines, making a charger inaccessible.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion that X drivers are inconsiderate and S drivers are wonderful. I've seen worse parking by drivers of all models.

Could be the driver before was crooked and the X driver could only get in the way he or she parked.
Unfortunately, there is no supercharger to the other side of where that guy was parked. Nor were any other cars parked out on the edges of the lot -- since it was negative windchills and the SC's are far away from the structure. And it was late on a weekday night.

Thank you for your perspective.

Maybe he had to pee superbad and just couldn't take the time to park well. Maybe he was having a heart attack and had to rush out to get help (after plugging in of course). Maybe he was in desperate need of vomiting. Maybe he had to run to a phone booth to put on his superman outfit to save an old lady who was being overcharged at Chilis. Maybe for some reason a car had parked right next to the superchargers and was over the line and he had to back in that way. But maybe THAT car had to lean that way because of another car that also had to lean that way because of another car that also had to lean that way because of another because it makes super tons of sense to park as far as possible from a mostly barren mall when it is super cold outside.

Spoiler alert: Tesla owners are just as awful as everybody else.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion that X drivers are inconsiderate and S drivers are wonderful.
Neither would I! This post was about these specific two X drivers. It is "funny" in the context of the great worry that Model 3 owners would be the ones to sully our SC experiences.

Well to be fair I will say that there seems to be an offset with the fisheye of the rear camera and the lines that leads almost every Tesla owner including myself to park crooked. No excuse for going over the lines but I think there is something to the camera and the ability to back in a spot straight.

I also noticed a different offset with the rear camera. It was very obvious to me going between a 2016 MX 90 ap 1 and a 2017 MX 100 ap2.5. I have never seen this mentioned elsewhere.

Reactions: jlewisthe3rd
I really wish I understood the ancient tricks the rapanui people used to move their giant rocks at Easter Island. Then, I would have the power to 'adjust' poorly parked Teslas. Perhaps somebody can invent a compact winch that can be attached to a curb with a grappling hook, and then lasso that wheel and tug the car sideways for 12 inches. Is there an inventor in the house?

I also noticed a different offset with the rear camera. It was very obvious to me going between a 2016 MX 90 ap 1 and a 2017 MX 100 ap2.5. I have never seen this mentioned elsewhere.

Parking forwards/reverse can be done (as in the past) without the camera - mirrors and knowing the car after the first few days of ownership. I rarely have to use the camera to park in reverse - and I am centered between the lines without a problem. In fact, it's MUCH easier to park in reverse in most vehicles than it is forward - you have 3 mirrors to use as well as a window, versus parking forwards.

It's interesting to see how drivers do park in reverse in their Tesla - many drive away from the lane, line up, and back-in (usually cutting blindly through a traffic lane in a parking lot, with people having to slam on brakes)... Just so silly, if you ask me. You can reverse into a parking spot in an X going from perpendicular next to the spot very easily.

All of you have missed the most obvious reason why that car was parked so poorly in the OP. The offending driver is from WA state where its a state law to park over the line and be a dick. All this hogwash about camera offset and laziness or passive aggressive comments are just a huge waste of finger strength. Thats the "norm" here.
Are you from ID? I mean, your profile says you're from WA, but you sound like you're from ID...