Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTS: Thule K-Summit chains for Tesla 19" wheel sets – $100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in '14 when I got my S with the stock 19" OEM wheel set, I looked for the best chains I could find, and landed on these K-Summits from Thule. I was willing to pay a premium for chains that would be super easy to get on and off, which was my top priority. I loved being able to get them on and off in about a minute per tire. When I got them, I tried them out at a nearby parking lot, they looked good, and I threw them in the frunk.

Fast forward to last month: By early '17, I still hadn't used them in the snow. A friend was headed up to Tahoe, so I lent them to him, and he said they worked great. My heart skipped a beat, though, when he said that he got stopped several times – turns out it was Caltrans staff asking enviously where he got his chains!

The following week, our family headed up to Tahoe and brought the chains with us. On the way up, we didn't need chains, but on the way down, we hit chain control. When I put them on, though, one part broke. I'm not sure what happened, but I looked over the Amazon reviews, and it you over-ratchet these things, it can cause a link to break. Unfortunately, it was too late for me, so I picked up a traditional pair of chains and brought these back home.

When I got home, I cleaned off the chains and took a closer look. One of the pins had broken, but it looked repairable. I know that folks here are pretty handy, so I've decided to post these here in case someone wants to give a hand at trying to salvage these.

Includes carrying bag, original lug nut adapters, and an additional 21mm lug nut adapter set as well.

These sell for $450-550 on Amazon, depending on the barometric pressure. ;)

Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size K45 (Sold in pairs): Automotive
Amazon.com: Thule K-Summit 21 mm Lug nut adapter Snow Chain Lug Nut Adapter: Automotive

$100

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg