Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTT - M3/MY center console 1.0 for 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model Y and hoping to find someone who has the redesigned 2.0 center console that would prefer to have the original style. Mine is flawless, wrapped with xpel stealth to matte the piano black, and from a vehicle with under 1000 miles. I believe the Y and 3 have interchangeable center consoles so it should work in either.

Not sure how easy this would be. I looked at the parts catalog and the first thing I noticed was the number of screws were different and it seemed that the locations were to screw down were different too.

Not saying it can’t be done, just that it might not be a straight up part swap.

Yep, not just a part swap.

Very interesting. I hadn't seen these videos. In the parts catalog the security module is the same part number (1100241-00-G) so I wonder if that part couldn't be swapped too keeping the original. Just seems like the natural next step.

Agreed, not a straight up swap. Just putting a feeler out there if anyone is more adventurous and wants to give it a go. I’ve seen those videos and it does look like Tesla would have to reprogram. Not a swap for the faint of heart!

Sorry to blow up your post, I'm now very interested and intrigued to do this myself. Keep us posted on how it goes.

The consoles themselves can be easily removed and installed but then you run into the key card reader issue mentioned in the videos above. The key card readers could be swapped from one console to the other but that would require trim pieces to be removed. Since those pieces aren't meant to be removed there is a high probability of breaking clips. This could cause parts to not fit flush.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Very interesting. I hadn't seen these videos. In the parts catalog the security module is the same part number (1100241-00-G) so I wonder if that part couldn't be swapped too keeping the original. Just seems like the natural next step.

Sorry to blow up your post, I'm now very interested and intrigued to do this myself. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Ya I feel like there has to
The consoles themselves can be easily removed and installed but then you run into the key card reader issue mentioned in the videos above. The key card readers could be swapped from one console to the other but that would require trim pieces to be removed. Since those pieces aren't meant to be removed there is a high probability of breaking clips. This could cause parts to not fit flush.

That's what I came up with as well. Seems like we could swap if Tesla was there to reprogram. Not sure how it would all be possible to coordinate without two bricked cars waiting to be programmed...

One of the things I'm interested in learning about the new center console and maybe @MorrisonHiker can comment is how does the functionality differ since the gen2 consoles were made to be used with the new glove box usb - are there still two usb connections in the front compartment, and how is the new Q charger hooked up? As the Gen1 takes up one of the two USB spots and of course the other is tied to the SSD (unless people have a Jeda or similar) so how many USB are there?

One of the things I'm interested in learning about the new center console and maybe @MorrisonHiker can comment is how does the functionality differ since the gen2 consoles were made to be used with the new glove box usb - are there still two usb connections in the front compartment, and how is the new Q charger hooked up? As the Gen1 takes up one of the two USB spots and of course the other is tied to the SSD (unless people have a Jeda or similar) so how many USB are there?
The Gen 2 center console has two USB-C ports in the main console (under the sliding door). We have been using one of those ports for the SSD and it has been recording dashcam without any problems. We do plan to add the glovebox USB once we can get our hands on the extra wiring.

The built in Qi charger has its own hook-up and does not use either of the USB-C ports in the center console.

The Gen 2 center console has two USB-C ports in the main console (under the sliding door). We have been using one of those ports for the SSD and it has been recording dashcam without any problems. We do plan to add the glovebox USB once we can get our hands on the extra wiring.

The built in Qi charger has its own hook-up and does not use either of the USB-C ports in the center console.

Thanks for the information. This is great to know.

I’ve done this swap. I’ve also done the card reader swap. Ignore all those who don’t know or are afraid. It’s totally do-able by your avg Joe. Simply do your research, be patient and take your time. I damaged no parts, IT IS a direct swap (no bolts or bolt positions are different). I didn’t break or damage a thing. It is a two person job (simply for the assistance in getting the consoles in and out and not much else). And should take you no more than a short afternoons worth of work. You can install it without the card reader swap but then you’ll have to ask Mommy and Daddy at the service center to reprogram it, no thanks. Didn’t want them involved much if I didn’t need them. Good luck!

here’s my little adventure

Very easy to do, you remove 4 trim pieces total, did not break any clips and swapped the security module and consoles in less than hour and half. If you need pointers PM me.

I’ve done this swap. I’ve also done the card reader swap. Ignore all those who don’t know or are afraid. It’s totally do-able by your avg Joe. Simply do your research, be patient and take your time. I damaged no parts, IT IS a direct swap (no bolts or bolt positions are different). I didn’t break or damage a thing. It is a two person job (simply for the assistance in getting the consoles in and out and not much else). And should take you no more than a short afternoons worth of work. You can install it without the card reader swap but then you’ll have to ask Mommy and Daddy at the service center to reprogram it, no thanks. Didn’t want them involved much if I didn’t need them. Good luck!

Appreciate the response. Thank you! Still looking for a swap partner :)

Any advice on torx/screwdriver sizes needed and any tips for getting card reader out?