Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTT Model 3 LR for Dual Motor Model S + cash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is kind of a weird request, but I figure maybe someone is interested.

I am looking to acquire another Dual Motor Model S. I don't care what battery size, and AP is not a requirement. The only requirement is that it be a dual motor.

I will trade you a ready to order (you pick what options you want) Model 3 for your Model S + $35k cash. I know it's a long shot, but I am in need of a Model S right now and am willing to give up my Model 3 for the right deal. I'm willing to entertain offers of various degrees if you have something you think will fit the bill.

Wait, what? You want an S + $35K in cash? since most dual motors start in the $55K range you wan't $35K on top for a total of $90K to you for a 45-$55K M3? Thats a lopsided as all hell, worse then people selling the 3 outright and making a few grand plus the tax credit. And since you technically have to buy it that means you're also eligible for the tax credit so you've got at least $98,000 on your side for a max, $55,000 M3

What am I missing here?

Reactions: Brutaka
I will trade you a ready to order (you pick what options you want) Model 3 for your Model S + $35k cash.

Wait, what? You want an S + $35K in cash?

I really can't figure out which way the $35k goes. If it's the way you say (M3 reservation for MS+$35k), yeah, it's hugely lopsided. But based on other posts, the real buyer of the M3 can take the tax credit, not the reservation holder (e.g. reservations are transferrable)

I think it has to be the other way i.e. M3 reservation+$35k to trade for any dual motor MS asap.

Reactions: Amit519
I really can't figure out which way the $35k goes. If it's the way you say (M3 reservation for MS+$35k), yeah, it's hugely lopsided. But based on other posts, the real buyer of the M3 can take the tax credit, not the reservation holder (e.g. reservations are transferrable)

I think it has to be the other way i.e. M3 reservation+$35k to trade for any dual motor MS asap.

I thought about that way also, and if the reservation is transferable that makes it easier to calculate, but worse for someone like me.

Lets use my 2 month old CPO 70D and call it $55K for easy numbers.

Cash on my side: $35K cash + $55K car is $90K for an M3

Cash on his side is my $55K car - his $35K = $20K just for me to configure an m3. I'd assume the 1K deopsit is included so that's $19K to configure. Most M3s are selling for about 2K over sale price + most people get the tax credit so they are making 9.5-10K on the deal. (not bad return for standing in line one morning 2 years ago and already owning a Tesla.) The OP is asking 10K over that at 19K. If the person gets to claim the tax credit that's 7.5K and brings their cost to configure down to 11.5K Closer in line with what the M3 are already bringing.

Two kickers, if someone is trading a newer 75D their car is into the 60s and that brings their cost to configure up to 16.5K compared to my car. If they they have a salvage D worth 40K they come out ahead as they are making money on the deal.

The other is the tax credit, and I'm in the very select few, but I don't make enough money to claim a tax credit, I haven't finished my taxes but I currently have a $253 total tax liability for 2017, I still have other deductions to account for so that will probably go to $0, but as it stands, I qualify for $253 of a $7,500 tax credit.

Wait, what? You want an S + $35K in cash? since most dual motors start in the $55K range you wan't $35K on top for a total of $90K to you for a 45-$55K M3? Thats a lopsided as all hell, worse then people selling the 3 outright and making a few grand plus the tax credit. And since you technically have to buy it that means you're also eligible for the tax credit so you've got at least $98,000 on your side for a max, $55,000 M3

What am I missing here?

I'm actually in the market for one of these dual motor cars with AP starting at $55k cars. Must have a California title and not black interior or exterior and qualifies for extended service agreement. I'm watching everyday and hoping to make a deal. Solid roof, 19" wheels are OK. Textile seats are a minus. Tech Package a plus.

I'm actually in the market for one of these dual motor cars with AP starting at $55k cars. Must have a California title and not black interior or exterior and qualifies for extended service agreement. I'm watching everyday and hoping to make a deal. Solid roof, 19" wheels are OK. Textile seats are a minus. Tech Package a plus.
I can send you towards a Telsa guy who will find you a CPO. Why does it need a California title?

Damn..y'all going a bit ham.

You missed "I don't care what battery size, and AP is not a requirement." So he may be looking for a 12,13,14. which usually goes for 35-40
The dual motor wasn't introduced until 11/14 so most likely everyone will be a 2015 model and they all came with AP hardware (maybe not activated)

edit: Or hank beat me to it.

And the cheapest Dual motors I've ever seen sold for 50K and over.

i can't see any model s owner putting $35K in the glove box and trading that for a 3. but hey, i've been wrong before.

Even going the other way I don't see any Models S owner taking 35K on their, bare minimum, 50K car. That's $15K just for the opportunity to configure now, which any Tesla owner already has priority to jump to the front of the line.

if you find someone to take this offer please let them know i have a 2014 P85+ for sale for the low low price of $127,500 that is a full 1K under the sticker price!!!

when I first read it i thought it went the other way... like hank did... but as others said a "D" car is at least in the low 50s which puts the cost of the 3 close to 90K...

LCRs take makes more sense but still paying a 15-20K premium to get into a 3 is not happening

why not just try to sell the reservation spot and find an S on your own after the fact.. or take delivery and flip it like others are trying to do all over ebay...Also as I understand it (and I may be wrong) the only choices you have on a M3 configuration is paint color and tires... so the "configure as you want it" is really limited in the first place... i think you will find that premiums for "jumping the line" are not what you might hope they are...

GLWS

Hmm, I wasn't aware that all Dual motors had AP. I was looking for an older dual motor, like a 60. I've never really looked in to the lower end Model S's, so maybe I've made some incorrect assumptions. I know some of the older 85's are going for high 20's, so I figured some of the older 60's were going for even less, bringing it in-line with the price of a Model 3.

Basically, I want to end up paying $20-$25k out of pocket for a Model S. A fully configured Model 3 runs about $60k.

The old style 60 was never offered in Dual motor. The smallest/oldest you're going to find is the November 2014+ 70D Those sell for around 50K for ones with no options and over 50K miles.

The 85 was offered since 2012 or what ever but the dual motor option didn't come out until that same 11/2014+ those are going for 65K+ and the clapped out ones I've seen in the mid 50s.

When you say you want to spend 20-25 out of pocket, you have nothing to offer other than a reservation, you don't have a car to trade. If you had a M3 in hand, today your idea would make sense, you have a 60K car, and some one trades you 60K worth of cash and MS. Right now you want to trade a reservation spot for $60k worth of cash and MS. Set it up as a check book debit/credit and you'll see you're literally asking someone to give away a car for a reservation spot.

I know some of the older 85's are going for high 20's, , so I figured some of the older 60's were going for even less,

Salvage cars, maybe.

Basically, I want to end up paying $20-$25k out of pocket for a Model S.

Don't think you're going to get what you want.

I still don't understand the deal you're offering.

You want someone to take your M3 reservation+$35k in exchange for a MS? How does that put you out $20k-$25k? That puts you out $35k + one reservation spot. M3 reservations aren't going for $10k. Especially now that non-owners can configure.

The other way you want someone to take your M3 reservation in exchange for a MS+$35k which just doesn't make any sense at all.

Set it up as a check book debit/credit and you'll see you're literally asking someone to give away a car for a reservation spot.

Exactly.