Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WWDC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More of interest in the long term when Apple start using the U1 chip for it. More secure than Bluetooth, and it would allow you more flexibility over giving and revoking other people access to your car via their own phone. Apple only, so I doubt Tesla will embrace it. I’d love to be proved wrong though.

I would also love to have CarPlay in my Tesla.

Don’t need it do we? It seemed to be less convenient, needing closer NFC range rather than our current Bluetooth range.
I'd rather use NFC for 2 reasons (although I don't use the cards!), first it would not be prone to the car possibly being unlocked if your phone was close to the car whilst in home etc and second (and most importantly) as both my wife and I use iPhones if we are both traveling the car will always pick up the passengers profile, I assume this stems from the car originally being LHD so the sensor for Bluetooth is located on the left?

Google maps (kind of) already does that. I select my destination in google maps and then share with my Tesla. Tesla then routes you via a Charger if you need it.
I’m fully aware thanks. Just pointing out EV routing for Apple Maps was also mentioned at WWDC key note, which arguably goes further with support of chargers, plans charging time, incorporating changes in elevation and weather. Competing with ABRP

Reactions: davidmc
I'd rather use NFC for 2 reasons (although I don't use the cards!), first it would not be prone to the car possibly being unlocked if your phone was close to the car whilst in home etc and second (and most importantly) as both my wife and I use iPhones if we are both traveling the car will always pick up the passengers profile, I assume this stems from the car originally being LHD so the sensor for Bluetooth is located on the left?
We were having the the very same iPhone key discussion yesterday as we got in the car. I was driving and her seat setting impaled me on the steering wheel.
I told her that unless cured by a software update, she would need to remain 2 metres behind me, even after lockdown is a distant memory :p

If it’s just plain old NFC, then all that’s needed is to be able to read the code on the Tesla supplied NFC cards and assign that to a virtual card in Apple wallet.

A bit like the ChargePoint virtual NFC card does now. Walk up to an InstaVolt charger with an inactive phone and it auto-presents the right ChargePoint virtual card in Apple wallet.

17584E49-7392-48F7-8FB5-5FB3EE699DA2.jpeg

We already know iPhone wallet is triggered by the internal NFC reader in the centre console.

If it’s just plain old NFC, then all that’s needed is to be able to read the code on the Tesla supplied NFC cards and assign that to a virtual card in Apple wallet.

A bit like the ChargePoint virtual NFC card does now. Walk up to an InstaVolt charger with an inactive phone and it auto-presents the right ChargePoint virtual card in Apple wallet.

17584E49-7392-48F7-8FB5-5FB3EE699DA2.jpeg

We already know iPhone wallet is triggered by the internal NFC reader in the centre console.
ChargePoint is my favourite for this reason. Also works on inactive Apple Watch which is even easier than reaching in pocket.

All those nano seconds add up

We were having the the very same iPhone key discussion yesterday as we got in the car. I was driving and her seat setting impaled me on the steering wheel.

If that remains a problem, you don't have to assign a key to a driver profile so it doesn't have to automatically change seat positions unless you explicitly select the profile from the console.

My wife is main driver of ours, but if I drive, when I sit in I just select my profile from the screen. Likewise, when we swap back. We are in a position where we both fit behind the wheel irrespective of driver. Never needed to investigate easy access.