Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

www.teslamotors.com update, beautiful background video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video is ~24 MB. If the video isn't playing for you and you are using a modern browser (probably anything but Internet Explorer will work, but I could be wrong), let it sit for several minutes. Expect to wait the same amount of time it takes to download the Instagram app for your phone on your home Internet connection. Initially I had a black background ... and then a still of a white Model S ... and then the video started playing a few minutes later.

For the record I'm using Firefox 43.0.4 on Windows.

P.S. Great Canadian footage, Tesla!

That's funny. I opened the Tesla site earlier today, got a choppy background video, thought "What the heck is this crap?" and quickly clicked away.

Going back based on this thread I agree the video is kind of neat, but would have preferred a better-functioning website instead.

The video is ~24 MB. If the video isn't playing for you and you are using a modern browser (probably anything but Internet Explorer will work, but I could be wrong), let it sit for several minutes. Expect to wait the same amount of time it takes to download the Instagram app for your phone on your home Internet connection. Initially I had a black background ... and then a still of a white Model S ... and then the video started playing a few minutes later.

The video works fine on both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11. If you're using any version of IE older than 11, it's now officially unsupported (except on certain specific operating system versions), per Internet Explorer End of Support.

It streams. You're not downloading the entire file right off the bat. Also, different browsers might use different files. I know we have to upload an MP4 and then an HTML5 variant of the same movie. If it can't load it just displays a pre-defined image. I know IOS limits videos like these so people viewing from an iPad or iPhone might never see the videos.

Works fine on my Mac with Safari (latest & greatest). I was trying to figure out where it was filmed but couldn't--I am glad they updated the web site but to be honest, I thought the location was not very appealing considering the local flora & fauna (dormant trees, etc) but the parking demo was awful. Leaves everywhere, package from UPS on the porch of a row home? Just a bit surprised at the overall environment of the video location. Ok, let the bashing begin! :frown:

Have you tried looking at the new website using the car's built-in browser? The bottom of the home page is cut off, the pages are painfully slow to load (even on WiFi with excellent signal) and not all of the features on the pages work (like elements of the Model S page).

Plus, one of the useful features on the website - clicking on the supercharger map to display charger destinations - that doesn't work using the on-board browser. While you can get much of the destination charger information with the Google maps display, Tesla's website has more information about each of the chargers - plus makes it easy to find stores, service centers and destination chargers, along with information about each location.