Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wyoming is afraid EVs are going to kill their industries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious about how much Superchargers made the fast-charger map in Wyoming look better than it actually is, so I filtered Plugshare first by CSS only, then by Tesla Supercharger only.

Both types of fast chargers seem to have pretty similar coverage.

It's only along the interstates for the most parts, but when you factor the better coverage just outside the border in all directions, a road trip through Wyoming looks very doable. For sightseeing within the state, you'd most likely still need a hotel with destination charging as a base, or do use an inefficient out-and-back charging strategy.

CCS only
View attachment 896415

Tesla Supercharger only
View attachment 896417
Try getting across I-80 on CCS. Especially east to west where it is more uphill and the dominant winds are out of the ~West.

When we came across there were 2 or 3 trucks full of Rivians, and we joked that that was the only way they could get across the state without stopping for a couple of nights.

I am positive that the correlation between the amount of "campaign contributions" and the fervor of the politicians to protect the oil and gas industry is at least 99.99%. When they honor their promises to represent their major contributors to the best of their abilities(?), it likely doesn't seem unethical to them. Our legislators are the best that money can buy. Sort of.

considering Wyoming is the largest coal producer in the US, and most coal is used to generate electricity, if they were rational, coal miners would be pro EV. Of course for the oil producers in the state , it’s all downhill for them.

They're beginning to be afraid that the end is near. Ha ha ha! We win!
This gives Wyo a bad look but this group of politicians doesn’t really represent the demeanor of the people very well IMO.

Wyo has been diversifying but there are definitely people holding onto the past. It’s gonna be tough for people since a few industries were foundational to the economy of Wyo for so long.

Wyo will come around eventually.

I’m not sure who “we” is in, in “we win”…

It seems like chargers in rural states are put on interstates that go near or through larger towns. I see very few electric vehicles until I get into the more populated Towns and closer to larger Cities. Is it that way for others that once you get away from Cities and large Towns you see less electric vehicles?
It's been a while since I have been in Wyoming. Loved the back roads and smaller towns. There are probably more electric vehicles in Cheyenne Wyoming than in Lander Wyoming

It's going to be a hard transition for a lot of people. I know, right now it's like, "Wyoming? Who cares about them?" But it's going to hurt people everywhere. I'm particularly worried about the price of gas when it's no longer economical to run refineries all the time. It's already no longer economical to build new ones.

Regardless of whether you worked for it or won the lottery, if you own a Tesla, you're "privileged." I liked seeing this political stunt because it reminded me of how the other half lives. It's not just rich oil and gas execs and their pet politicians. It's all the oil and gas people those execs employ. It's hard to understand something when someone is paying you not to understand it. But no one in this country has this transition figured out. It's going to suck. Maybe not for you personally, but a rising tide floats all boats, and in this case, vice versa.

Reactions: DrGriz
It's going to be a hard transition for a lot of people. I know, right now it's like, "Wyoming? Who cares about them?" But it's going to hurt people everywhere. I'm particularly worried about the price of gas when it's no longer economical to run refineries all the time. It's already no longer economical to build new ones.

Regardless of whether you worked for it or won the lottery, if you own a Tesla, you're "privileged." I liked seeing this political stunt because it reminded me of how the other half lives. It's not just rich oil and gas execs and their pet politicians. It's all the oil and gas people those execs employ. It's hard to understand something when someone is paying you not to understand it. But no one in this country has this transition figured out. It's going to suck. Maybe not for you personally, but a rising tide floats all boats, and in this case, vice versa.
Who ever said a person should work the same job all of their lives? Is it going to be difficult to change? Maybe, especially if we keep subsidizing century old technology. Let's take some of those subsidy dollars and train people to work in sustainable industries. Is it make-work? Yes, but when we are spending a trillion dollars a year to support the fossil fuel industry, so is that. If we have to choose winners and losers, and it seems that within the power industry we do, let's pick better winners.

I agree. We all need to support education/training. It will take the edge off the pain of this transition and it needs to start right now. I wouldn't count on the government coming to save people when the time comes. Though we did get a new bill passed recently that should help some.

My concern is mainly supply shocks. Like toilet paper at the start of the pandemic except gas. What is the government going to do about that? Pay people to not work again? If the political will isn't there, there is going to be a lot of suffering. I'd hate to see India-style poverty in this country just because people can't get gas at any price. By the way, if we're screwed, other countries are screwed 10x. They don't have domestic oil and gas production and/or a strategic reserve. Except Norway. Norway's already living the EV life.

Reactions: DrGriz
Without Oil and Gas we will need to figure out how to make items out of other raw materials. It takes 33 million British Thermal units of Natural Gas to make 1 ton of Ammonia. Are there any companies making thermoplastics without using any Hydrocarbons? Before we demand that the Oil and Gas faucets get turned off lets figure out how to make everything that is now made from Oil and Gas to more environmentally methods. Ethylene Glycol is mostly made from petroleum products but can be produced from sugars via microorganisms like Pseudomonas syringae and Penicillium digitatum. So we could eliminate petroleum products from Glycol

Reactions: MitchMitch
Without Oil and Gas we will need to figure out how to make items out of other raw materials. It takes 33 million British Thermal units of Natural Gas to make 1 ton of Ammonia. Are there any companies making thermoplastics without using any Hydrocarbons? Before we demand that the Oil and Gas faucets get turned off lets figure out how to make everything that is now made from Oil and Gas to more environmentally methods. Ethylene Glycol is mostly made from petroleum products but can be produced from sugars via microorganisms like Pseudomonas syringae and Penicillium digitatum. So we could eliminate petroleum products from Glycol
Exactly right, hydrocarbons are a necessity now and in the foreseeable future, EV’s are the beginning of a long journey to decrease the use of hydrocarbons.

You can make hydrocarbons by pulling hydrogen out of water (electrolysis) and carbon out of the air (carbon capture) and then using the Fischer-tropsch process to create hydrocarbons of arbitrary length.

Watching the rich elites fly their Private Jets to the climate summit to complain about the World using Fossil Fuels is so hypocritical. People just don't take them seriously. They talk about sea level rise but they purchase and build Mansions on the Beach and party on their massive Yachts that burn 100 gallons of fuel or more an hour.

Last edited: