Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wyoming Supercharger build out 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I-70 made sense. It sees a lot of traffic. So much so, I at times find it annoying to drive on I-70 even when in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure about other east/west routes, but I think I-80 gets a lot of traffic as well, and should be a top priority at this point.

More the better, I find it interesting Tesla likes to open chargers on the edges on Wyoming, not really in Wyoming. All of them so far are Hardly in state at all. I think they are just messing with me putting them just out of my range living in the center of the state.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
More the better, I find it interesting Tesla likes to open chargers on the edges on Wyoming, not really in Wyoming. All of them so far are Hardly in state at all. I think they are just messing with me putting them just out of my range living in the center of the state.
Big gap in the center of the state makes it impossible to drive across. Even I80 across the bottom of the state has only one in Cheyenne . You are forced to drive I90 or I70 to get around.
I want to drive from the Tetons to Nebraska this summer and I will be stuck in the middle of the state.

Yes they do need to fill in Wyoming, was kind of excited about the West Yellowstone supercharger, though wondering how they will handle clearing snow in the winter.

But I have family east of West Yellowstone in the Greybull area and give there from West Yellowstone is problematic.

Yes they do need to fill in Wyoming, was kind of excited about the West Yellowstone supercharger, though wondering how they will handle clearing snow in the winter.

But I have family east of West Yellowstone in the Greybull area and give there from West Yellowstone is problematic.
They'll need SCs in Greybull and Cody (or maybe Wapiti or Pahaska Tepee) to allow access from Sheridan. They also need SCs in Gardiner, probably Moran (or somewhere north of it like Colter Bay Village, but outside Yellowstone) in addition to Jackson. Then, ultimately from the Southeast (Casper and Rawlins) and South (Rock Springs/Pinedale via U.S. 191), although that whole Shoshoni/Riverton/Lander/Willow Creek U.S. 26/287/S.R. 789 triangle is problematic given the relatively limited traffic it's likely to see.

Another in a chain of WAGs for me ... Is it possible/likely Tesla will want to install these chargers in a parking garage, to avoid the mountains of snow Wyoming gets every winter? Are there parking garages in Wyoming outside of Cheyenne? If not, can one build a solar canopy big enough to fit all the charging equipment and ~ 8 connectors, and parking area for ~ 8 cars and strong enough to hold up all that snow, for a reasonable cost? Is the snow in Wyoming light and airy or heavy and wet (Sierra cement of Utah powder)?

The great Wyoming Supercharger desert:
Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 1.46.02 PM.png

Reactions: pox
Another in a chain of WAGs for me ... Is it possible/likely Tesla will want to install these chargers in a parking garage, to avoid the mountains of snow Wyoming gets every winter? Are there parking garages in Wyoming outside of Cheyenne? If not, can one build a solar canopy big enough to fit all the charging equipment and ~ 8 connectors, and parking area for ~ 8 cars and strong enough to hold up all that snow, for a reasonable cost? Is the snow in Wyoming light and airy or heavy and wet (Sierra cement of Utah powder)?
There are two Supercharger sites in Truckee, California which gets some of the greatest snow accumulations of anywhere in the US because of the wet storms which come off the Pacific. Easy to get 3 or 4 feet of wet snow in a single storm and accumulations of 10 to 30 feet over the winter and not uncommon (remember the Donner party... they were trapped in 28 feet of snow in Truckee).
Both of these locations are in open parking lots and no problem with snow clearance or access. The snow removal contractors for the parking areas do a good job of keeping them clear. They have plows, front loaders and articulated blowers.