Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wyoming Supercharger build out 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Big gap in the center of the state makes it impossible to drive across. Even I80 across the bottom of the state has only one in Cheyenne . You are forced to drive I90 or I70 to get around.
I want to drive from the Tetons to Nebraska this summer and I will be stuck in the middle of the state.

I know right! With the new 80mph speed limit make me feel super slow when trying to hyper mile at 55Mph. It's giving everyone in Wyoming the impression that Tesla's are slow. Waiting at RV parks for hours on end is getting pretty old.

2016 is half over and doesn't look good for i80 before the snow hits. After asking the Tesla Supercharger team for an update this answer I got back:

"We are well into progress at a site in Jackson, WY, however we are still in the initial stages of scouting for sites along I-80 and I-25 in Wyoming. Due to this fact, we are not able to guarantee that any of those sites will come online this year. That being said, we are committed to establishing Superchargers along both interstates and we appreciate your patience as we work to expand the network."

I love my Tesla so much, but last winter was killer and I'm seriously considering selling my S until we get a couple of chargers closer to where I live. I would be willing to pay to have some HPWC's put in Rock Springs and Rawlins if any one know of a place that would be willing. I've talking with hotel managers and dropping of flyers for a year now and no luck getting anyone on the destination charging team, a lot of places sound interested but not takers that I know of yet.

2016 is half over and doesn't look good for i80 before the snow hits. After asking the Tesla Supercharger team for an update this answer I got back:

"We are well into progress at a site in Jackson, WY, however we are still in the initial stages of scouting for sites along I-80 and I-25 in Wyoming. Due to this fact, we are not able to guarantee that any of those sites will come online this year. That being said, we are committed to establishing Superchargers along both interstates and we appreciate your patience as we work to expand the network."

I love my Tesla so much, but last winter was killer and I'm seriously considering selling my S until we get a couple of chargers closer to where I live. I would be willing to pay to have some HPWC's put in Rock Springs and Rawlins if any one know of a place that would be willing. I've talking with hotel managers and dropping of flyers for a year now and no luck getting anyone on the destination charging team, a lot of places sound interested but not takers that I know of yet.
I can't believe that they still have a gap all the way across Wyoming and Nebraska with only one SC.
We'll be heading East from California in a few weeks so will have to take the "Southern" route through Colorado. Not a great inconvenience but it would be easier across I80.

I love my Tesla so much, but last winter was killer and I'm seriously considering selling my S until we get a couple of chargers closer to where I live....

Well, you'll take a hit selling your S, enough that it might be worth considering paying for installation of a 70 amp J1772 (old reworked Roadster charger) which you might be able to pick up for free.

I had a similar problem: Needed a charger, nothing for miles and miles any direction. I wrote to the town newspaper, and the editor knew the mayor. Ended up putting the charger in the City Hall parking lot. There were communications by email, lots of Google Earth checking, and I drove through and charged a few months later and paid my bill to the electrician that did the work. And made a lot of friends. Cost about $1000, but the whole experience was "priceless".

Well, you'll take a hit selling your S, enough that it might be worth considering paying for installation of a 70 amp J1772 (old reworked Roadster charger) which you might be able to pick up for free.

I had a similar problem: Needed a charger, nothing for miles and miles any direction. I wrote to the town newspaper, and the editor knew the mayor. Ended up putting the charger in the City Hall parking lot. There were communications by email, lots of Google Earth checking, and I drove through and charged a few months later and paid my bill to the electrician that did the work. And made a lot of friends. Cost about $1000, but the whole experience was "priceless".

That's how you solve a problem! It takes all of us to make EV transportation a reality. Well done!

Good Idea, I might try something like that. Would you be willing to share the letter you wrote? I tried placing an ad on craigslist looking to rent a parking space and have a charger installed. No replies. Maybe I need to go a bit older school and try an add in the paper. What do you think would be a fair price to pay? I had been thinking $25 per month. They could also charge $10 per charge for any other people that want to use it. I'm also thinking about just starting my own mini charging network and putting in some 75amp juice links with some kind of credit card reader or just list them on plugshare with donations to help cover rent and power bill.

Good Idea, I might try something like that. Would you be willing to share the letter you wrote? I tried placing an ad on craigslist looking to rent a parking space and have a charger installed. No replies. Maybe I need to go a bit older school and try an add in the paper. What do you think would be a fair price to pay? I had been thinking $25 per month. They could also charge $10 per charge for any other people that want to use it. I'm also thinking about just starting my own mini charging network and putting in some 75amp juice links with some kind of credit card reader or just list them on plugshare with donations to help cover rent and power bill.

I think I'm "old school" enough that I pushed for free use forever. Paying for electricity is nothing compared to having a high end car (Tesla) driver pull in needing to charge for a couple hours, having money probably, and willing to wander around looking at some stores. So there is that. It's advertising, and all the nearby stores thought it was great. The tipping point for me was getting someone on my side in town, which could have been a minister, a teacher, or in my case, the editor. The town wanted to be thought of as modern, ready for the electric revolution, and they wanted all EVs to be able to use it. It's still free, listed on Plugshare, behind the county office on Main Street.

I personally do not like at all having to pay for getting a charge when I use only about a dollar's worth of juice. I tried getting motels interested, but they are more willing to put in an outlet, which costs them far less than a swimming pool or weight room (like maybe $100) to entice customers. If they can't do it for the advertising, what's the point? I've had three motels put in an outlet for me. I go back.

Maybe it just the people in this state or I'm not asking the right people, but I'm just not having any luck getting hotel to apply for the Tesla Destination Charging program.

In March I had emailed suncountryhighway.ca about sponsering a 80amp charger in Rock Spring and never heard back.
Now I'm thinking seriously about just making my own mini charging network.
There are 2.5 billion in loan loan guarantees. Thinking if I split the income with the property owners they might be more interest or if I flat out buy small lots of land.

Do you think it would be fair to charge $4 per hour level 2 and $10 per hour level 3? I would just start out in a few 80amp Level 2 places and see what the traffic looks like then grow out to fill in gaps from the other charging networks adding level 3 for Bolt owners and Tesla owners to get to Tourist sites off the interstate system. Teton county also has grants to get chargers installed helping people get to Yellowstone.

I would start out in:
  • Riverton
  • Lander
  • Cody
  • Thermopolis
  • Dubois
  • Kemmerer
  • Farson
  • Douglas

If Tesla doesn't get to it
  • Rock Springs
  • Evanston
  • Rawlins
  • Laramie

Reactions: KJD
Latest update (10/27/16):

Thank you for your email. We are happy to share that we are in the early stages of construction for several sites along I-80, traveling from Colorado to Utah. We are also actively working to expand the network along I-80. That being said, there are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Tesla vehicle's maps system.

Thank you for your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

• Love
Reactions: Fiver
So, I did it. Needed to get some charging more charging options around Wyoming. I don't know if this make me a Vendor now on the forums or if I need to make new account. I started Wild West EV, Inc. I'm setting up 80amp J1772 level 2 charging stations around the state. They take a credit card like a vending machine, they can add about 60mph of range to a Tesla in a hour if you have the dual chargers. The first two locations are at the Breadboards in Riverton and Lander, Doing the electrical next week and should be all really to use in about two weeks. If you know of any potential locations around Wyoming or surrounding states that might be interested I'll pay for the charger and electrical and they get half the sale to cover there electrical bill and bit extra. Just need to be in a good location with something for people to do for a hour or two.

So, I did it. Needed to get some charging more charging options around Wyoming. I don't know if this make me a Vendor now on the forums or if I need to make new account. I started Wild West EV, Inc. I'm setting up 80amp J1772 level 2 charging stations around the state. They take a credit card like a vending machine, they can add about 60mph of range to a Tesla in a hour if you have the dual chargers. The first two locations are at the Breadboards in Riverton and Lander, Doing the electrical next week and should be all really to use in about two weeks. If you know of any potential locations around Wyoming or surrounding states that might be interested I'll pay for the charger and electrical and they get half the sale to cover there electrical bill and bit extra. Just need to be in a good location with something for people to do for a hour or two.

I've been considering this same approach. I hope this is successful and thank you for both the effort and the inspiration.

@pox How is the charging going to be billed? Time/Energy/Per-use?

I'm going to start with $5 per hour, our energy cost at full usage of 80 amp peak hours cost about $1.75. After the split the host will still make at least $0.75 per hour. Quit a bit more if it's off peek and cars that don't use the full 80amps. On my half of the $2.50 I will have to pay the loan on the charging unit, insurance and credit card fees. It will take a few years to pay off the charger so I'm asking for 5 year long leases on the parking spots . I'm going to be seeking grants and donations to try and build out more and maybe some level 3 stations at some point.

Reactions: MP3Mike