Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wyoming Supercharger build out 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Colorado? Um, Tesla, may I recommend a quick look at google maps.
It is actually shorter and faster to take I-80 from parts of Denver to Salt Lake City. From where I live, there's only a few miles and minutes difference so I would just take (and have taken) I-70 instead of I-80. I'm definitely awaiting I-80 coverage for travel in Wyoming and Nebraska but won't be using it to get to Utah. Others will definitely save time and miles by taking I-80.

Last edited:
So, I did it. Needed to get some charging more charging options around Wyoming. I don't know if this make me a Vendor now on the forums or if I need to make new account. I started Wild West EV, Inc. I'm setting up 80amp J1772 level 2 charging stations around the state. They take a credit card like a vending machine, they can add about 60mph of range to a Tesla in a hour if you have the dual chargers. The first two locations are at the Breadboards in Riverton and Lander, Doing the electrical next week and should be all really to use in about two weeks. If you know of any potential locations around Wyoming or surrounding states that might be interested I'll pay for the charger and electrical and they get half the sale to cover there electrical bill and bit extra. Just need to be in a good location with something for people to do for a hour or two.
May I suggest a location at Bear Lake? Not quite Wyoming, but it's not really doable from the Salt Lake area at the moment unless you stay at the KOA and charge overnight at 40A. Even when the Evanston supercharger is in, some destination charging would be quite useful.

So, I did it. Needed to get some charging more charging options around Wyoming. I don't know if this make me a Vendor now on the forums or if I need to make new account. I started Wild West EV, Inc. I'm setting up 80amp J1772 level 2 charging stations around the state. They take a credit card like a vending machine, they can add about 60mph of range to a Tesla in a hour if you have the dual chargers. The first two locations are at the Breadboards in Riverton and Lander, Doing the electrical next week and should be all really to use in about two weeks. If you know of any potential locations around Wyoming or surrounding states that might be interested I'll pay for the charger and electrical and they get half the sale to cover there electrical bill and bit extra. Just need to be in a good location with something for people to do for a hour or two.
What type of hardware do you plan on using in this project ?

What type of hardware do you plan on using in this project ?

The highest quality for the best value! I'm not ready to say publicly just yet, I have 3 brands of chargers that I'm testing out right now and working on getting my costs as low as possible so I can put in the most amount of chargers for the buck. The payment system is pretty cool, It will take a normal credit card, nfc, chip and apple pay. It will work in any location with a Verizon Signal. I also have a million dollar per incident insurance policy so both the host and customer are covered just incase there are any accidents.

ccutrer, I've never been to Bear Lake. I would be interest in putting one in if there is a land owner that's interested in high traffic area with stuff to do.
Unfortunately, the resort area I thought of as the best fit based on those criteria ignored my email about applying to the destination charger program. Of course, I only emailed. (That was Ideal Beach Resort).

Other ideas of places I've frequented while there - the KOA/Ace Hardware, or La Beaus Drive In or Merlin's Drive In. Garden City side is busier than Laketown.

The highest quality for the best value! I'm not ready to say publicly just yet, I have 3 brands of chargers that I'm testing out right now and working on getting my costs as low as possible so I can put in the most amount of chargers for the buck. The payment system is pretty cool, It will take a normal credit card, nfc, chip and apple pay. It will work in any location with a Verizon Signal. I also have a million dollar per incident insurance policy so both the host and customer are covered just incase there are any accidents.

@pox, Any update to this project, especially along I-80 in Wyoming?

Thank you for your email and feedback. We are actively scouting for more locations along I-80, and we are happy to share that we are beginning the early stages of construction for our Rocky Springs, WY Supercharger Station. Normally construction at a Supercharger Station typically takes 4-6 weeks to complete from start to finish. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We are certainly committed to establishing the network throughout the state, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

Thank you for your email and feedback. We are actively scouting for more locations along I-80, and we are happy to share that we are beginning the early stages of construction for our Rocky Springs, WY Supercharger Station. Normally construction at a Supercharger Station typically takes 4-6 weeks to complete from start to finish. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We are certainly committed to establishing the network throughout the state, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team
Yay! If they're doing Rock Springs, the other 3 (Evanston, Rawlins, and Laramie) can't be far behind, otherwise Rock Springs is an almost useless island (you could probably do Rock Springs to SLC, but not the other way). And with Nebraska almost done (just missing one more between Cheyenne and Ogallala... but it could probably be done with very conservative driving, maybe only in one direction), I-80 will be complete!

Yay! If they're doing Rock Springs, the other 3 (Evanston, Rawlins, and Laramie) can't be far behind, otherwise Rock Springs is an almost useless island (you could probably do Rock Springs to SLC, but not the other way). And with Nebraska almost done (just missing one more between Cheyenne and Ogallala... but it could probably be done with very conservative driving, maybe only in one direction), I-80 will be complete!
Playing with EVTripPlanner, assuming a 90D and fair weather, you probably could make it from SLC to Rock Springs, then Rock Springs to Cheyenne. But wow will your margins be thin... I'm not sure I'd dare try.

I spent some time reviewing the (intermittent and sparse) planning meeting minutes for Rock Springs, but couldn't find reference to the Tesla Supercharger address. It's probably not worth anyone else wasting their time, either, though the county might be worth a look.

Playing with EVTripPlanner, assuming a 90D and fair weather, you probably could make it from SLC to Rock Springs, then Rock Springs to Cheyenne. But wow will your margins be thin... I'm not sure I'd dare try.
Looks like only 189 rated miles SLC Rock Springs so should be no problem.
However, Rock Springs to Cheyenne would be a squeaker... 256 miles (236 rated).

I spent some time reviewing the (intermittent and sparse) planning meeting minutes for Rock Springs, but couldn't find reference to the Tesla Supercharger address. It's probably not worth anyone else wasting their time, either, though the county might be worth a look.
Well, since Tesla called it "Rocky Springs", they may have somewhere else entirely in mind... Philadelphia?

Looks like only 189 rated miles SLC Rock Springs so should be no problem.
However, Rock Springs to Cheyenne would be a squeaker... 256 miles (236 rated).
You need to add a huge fudge-factor to EVTripPlanner for this part of the country where freeway speed limits are 80mph, though. For example, EVTripPlanner claims an X P90D will use 133 rated miles from Tremonton, UT to Twin Falls, ID. In my X 90D, going ~82mph in fair weather, I took about 200-210 rated miles. In reverse, and rainy weather, I had to slow down to ~65mph in order to make it, starting at about a 90% charge. So yes, I could make both jumps, but only by slowing down a LOT (in relation to normal traffic flow), and by charging close to 100%. Both of those I consider deal breakers for taking a "normal" road trip with the family (4 kids).

You need to add a huge fudge-factor to EVTripPlanner for this part of the country where freeway speed limits are 80mph, though. For example, EVTripPlanner claims an X P90D will use 133 rated miles from Tremonton, UT to Twin Falls, ID. In my X 90D, going ~82mph in fair weather, I took about 200-210 rated miles. In reverse, and rainy weather, I had to slow down to ~65mph in order to make it, starting at about a 90% charge. So yes, I could make both jumps, but only by slowing down a LOT (in relation to normal traffic flow), and by charging close to 100%. Both of those I consider deal breakers for taking a "normal" road trip with the family (4 kids).

There is almost always a strong headwind, too, in that area (yes, in both directions -- or maybe that's just me ;)).

• Funny
Reactions: MitchMitch
There is almost always a strong headwind, too, in that area (yes, in both directions -- or maybe that's just me ;)).
Heh, yeah, strong wind one direction or another. This was several years ago in our 2002 Prius. The Prius has an instantaneous gas mileage readout. It was eerie driving along for a while at about 60mph, and the reading was maxed out at 99mpg because the tailwind was so strong.

I-80 out west. There's still a 293 mile gap in PA.