Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wyoming taxing EV users

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be glad you don't live in NC...you'd be paying $100. They claim its for road tax which is otherwise funded through fuel purchase.

I agree the roads need to be maintained, but short of moving to an annual mileage-based tax on all vehicles that use them I can't think of a better solution. If they did that you'd likely be paying more than $50-100, though driving reasonable mileage.

In California, the state collects about $8,000 in sales taxes plus annual registration fees every year the car is on the road. Could just take some of this money to fix some pot holes.

Raising another $100 annual tax is just not necessary.

They are doing the same thing with our water rates. Say they need to raise the rates because their customers are adjusting to manditory water restrictions. This decreases their revenue while they refuse to reduce their internal expenses.

There are 3rd party companies that are paid to think up tax and fee increases that they can pass. The revenue rarely goes to actually fixing the roads, but just additional general fund revenue that they can use for their pet vote getting give aways.

Electric Vehicles already pay taxes and fees that are already included in their electric bills. State could easily calculate the amount of fees collected and apply those funds to refilling the road repair funds.

Almost seems criminal the way they keep inventing new taxes.

If I'm correct there is no actual flat-fee annual road tax in the USA, right? Because a part of the petrol price is actually the road tax? In that case it doesn't seem to strange to ask for a small road tax for EV's.. In certain european countries we pay a flat fee annual road tax based on the displacement of the engine and EV's pay 70 euro compared to 400-500 euro for a 2L engine up to 2000-3000 for a 4L engine

If I'm correct there is no actual flat-fee annual road tax in the USA, right? Because a part of the petrol price is actually the road tax? In that case it doesn't seem to strange to ask for a small road tax for EV's.. In certain european countries we pay a flat fee annual road tax based on the displacement of the engine and EV's pay 70 euro compared to 400-500 euro for a 2L engine up to 2000-3000 for a 4L engine
This is far too logical, reasonable and equable for the US. I wish the road tax would apply in all US jurisdictions, based on purchase price adjusted for vehicle weight and contribution to pollution. That system would compensate for road wear via weight and for general negative contribution via pollutants. As we all know [almost?] all systems everywhere are overly complex and favour some type of special interests. Our EV's are not an exception, but our lobbyists have normally less influence than does the fossil fuel industry. There are the odd exceptions such as Norway, British Columbia, Denmark and a few others, but they also have their own quirks and threats.

Frankly, I think EV's should pay taxes of whatever kind, proportional to their cost to infrastructure and environment. The eternal problem is how to assess those two factors for all classes of vehicles.

They are taxing clean emissions and not the polluting cars. Makes perfect sense....

Please try to understand, it's not about emissions. Fuel taxes pay for road maintenance (and in California, about half gets stolen for the general fund :(). If you pay no fuel taxes but drive a 5,000 pound vehicle on state roads, you are contributing more than most cars to road surface breakdown but not paying your fare share to repair roads.

If EVs are paying extra tax, then Fossil cars might as well to pay tax related to what the government pays to retain the overly large oil supply.

For the Iraq war alone it comes out to about $6 trillion for the 7 years it took divided by the 250MM vehicles on the roads =$24000/car/7 years $3428 per year per car. OR if we would like to take it as gas tax instead it would come out to about $7/gallon on top of what we are already paying. Why should we EV drivers pay these extra trillions that have nothing to do with our consumption?

Last edited:
No one is against EV's paying taxes to help maintain roads. Everyone is against EV's paying taxes because it was the latest way for haters to take another jab at EVs. Any EV specific tax needs to be clearly in the camp of the former and not the latter, or it may and probably should see resistance from the public. Any EV specific tax is already leaning to the latter precisely because it was made EV specific. Furthermore, making it a fixed amount suggests 1 or more of the following of those who are developing the legislation: they are incredibly lazy; they are incredibly stupid; they have an axe to grind with EVs. Any one of those three is enough to reject such legislation until they come up with something more sensible.

We have the same $50 annual plug-in car fee in Colorado:

12659993673_f0dd3c5e67_n.jpg

Here $30 goes to roads and $20 goes to a charge station grant fund; the three public charge stations in my rural area were 80% paid for by that state fund. I don't have a problem with the annual fee, for one thing it allows me to refute claims by ICE-heads that I'm not paying my share for roads. And those public charge stations funded by that fee have been a big help out here in the boondocks. I also got a BIG tax credit when I bought my EV, so Colorado is hugely supportive of electric cars and the annual fee is not a big deal, nor was it intended to be punitive.

I did a study of this in Alabama. To replace lost fuel tax revenue here, will require an annual EV tag tax of $138 (with reasonable assumptions about miles driven and fuel economy). So $50 or $100 seems like a good deal. The states need the revenue for road repairs, as a Tesla puts as much wear & tear on roads and bridges as any vehicle with a comparable weight.

If EVs are paying extra tax then Fossil cars need IMHO, to pay tax related to what the government pays to retain the overly large oil supply, at the very least!

For the Iraq war alone it comes out to about $6 trillion for the 7 years it took …

Can we leave the politics out of TMC, please?

- - - Updated - - -

No one is against EV's paying taxes to help maintain roads. Everyone is against EV's paying taxes because it was the latest way for haters to take another jab at EVs. Any EV specific tax needs to be clearly in the camp of the former and not the latter, or it may and probably should see resistance from the public. Any EV specific tax is already leaning to the latter precisely because it was made EV specific. Furthermore, making it a fixed amount suggests 1 or more of the following of those who are developing the legislation: they are incredibly lazy; they are incredibly stupid; they have an axe to grind with EVs. Any one of those three is enough to reject such legislation until they come up with something more sensible.

Fuel tax is easy to link - crudely - to the amount of driving done, ergo the amount of road use being done. To be completely fair, it should link to some metric like "axle pound miles", but such a thing would be unwieldy to say the least.

Same thing for zero emission vehicles. How can you measure their effect on roads? A 5,000 lb Tesla should pay more per mile than a 2,000lb electric Smart Car, but how would you collect mileage data in order to tax them fairly for their road use? Of course you can't, so they levy a one-size-fits-all EV tax that is bad for Smart drivers but less so for Tesla drivers.

shouldnt it be priced into cost of electricity? (just like gas at the pump)

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing for zero emission vehicles. How can you measure their effect on roads? A 5,000 lb Tesla should pay more per mile than a 2,000lb electric Smart Car, but how would you collect mileage data in order to tax them fairly for their road use? Of course you can't, so they levy a one-size-fits-all EV tax that is bad for Smart drivers but less so for Tesla drivers.

in hong kong we tax according to weight of EV... of course still doesnt account in the distance you do. (for ICE, it's the ICE displacement)