Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X 100D -> down 5-6% battery after update.

Have you noticed an immediate range drop (> 10miles) after a software update?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this was a hot topic back in June for older Model X owners. Tesla confirmed with Electrek that they nerfed the battery range to improve longevity of the battery.

Well, it looks like it may have been extended to more recent Model Xs. My X is 1 year old. 9000 miles. 100D and I rarely charge more than 90%. I have charged full maybe 6 or 7 times for trips and have used Superchargers perhaps 8-10 times.

Prior to the latest software update 2019.36.2.1 I would get 292miles on 100% and 262 on 90%. Now I get 275 on 100% and 250 on 90%. This happened overnight. The mobile tech told me to expect "10-15% battery drop in the first year and 1% after that." ??? I told him all the testing data shows < 10% drop in range after 160,000 miles! I'm at 9k and experienced a 5-6% drop overnight.

Anyone else with a newer model X seeing the same things? Is this in part related to lowering fire risk or larger percentage drops in the future?

I know this was a hot topic back in June for older Model X owners. Tesla confirmed with Electrek that they nerfed the battery range to improve longevity of the battery.

Well, it looks like it may have been extended to more recent Model Xs. My X is 1 year old. 9000 miles. 100D and I rarely charge more than 90%. I have charged full maybe 6 or 7 times for trips and have used Superchargers perhaps 8-10 times.

Prior to the latest software update 2019.36.2.1 I would get 292miles on 100% and 262 on 90%. Now I get 275 on 100% and 250 on 90%. This happened overnight. The mobile tech told me to expect "10-15% battery drop in the first year and 1% after that." ??? I told him all the testing data shows < 10% drop in range after 160,000 miles! I'm at 9k and experienced a 5-6% drop overnight.

Anyone else with a newer model X seeing the same things? Is this in part related to lowering fire risk or larger percentage drops in the future?
I haven’t charged to 100% yet with 2019 Raven P100D July build 3900 miles. Stats app says my rated range is 299 miles at 100% while battery is charging with 46% soc . It does change up and down in the app. I believe performance is 305 at 100%?

My LR with build date of August 2019 is 295 miles at 90% which works out to 327 at 100%, right where it should be. Have only 2000 miles on it with only one supercharge and have never charged above 95%.

I’ve lost about 6 rated miles, and I have about double the mileage. I guess I should also note half of that is towing a trailer on a daily basis. I average about double the Wh/mi with a trailer. I use about 40% daily range driving local about less than 70mi. I believe I’ve supercharged maybe a dozen times, and never have launched the car from a complete stop or used ludicrous + to heat the battery to get insane acceleration. One would say what’s the point of having the performance, but I know abusing my battery at the start isn’t what I want. I think regular ludicrous acceleration is more than enough thrill.
Home charging I set to 250V 16amps 4KW...the wall connector can max at 48amps...but I don’t think I’ve had a need to charge that fast when I always have plenty in the pack. Better to have continuous charging all day during the winter months. Also I’m on fixed rate with hydro clean renewable, so no worries there.

2018 P100 with 49,000 miles here. 6 months ago my 90% was 263. My 90% is now 244. Have tried the rebalancing, cycling, etc to no end.

Service says they don't see anything 'wrong' with battery health. If yours is dropping this early, hold on, it's going to drop a lot more.

As I have been saying in the threads focusing on the older 85 and below cars there should be concern about Tesla rolling this out as cars age.

Are they allowing abusive charging rates and maybe even capacity use as a sales tactic then going to take it away once cars are 3-4 years old?

I too have a 100D 2019 with just under 9,000 miles. We have the extra range package and have seen our mileage reduce by 15 miles with the latest updates. I am hoping they are just tweaking settings trying to find ideal case since the range increase. I guess we shall see.

I lost about 8 miles of rated range upon receipt of 2019.32.1 as illustrated by my TeslaFi battery report. No ambiguity whatsoever.

upload_2019-12-15_19-27-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-15_19-26-15.png
    upload_2019-12-15_19-26-15.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 59
Unfortunately I think Tesla sees these drops as 'fringe" cases, which most of the time they are. Daily driving, no I don't use my full range.

I do however drive 190 miles one way 6-8 times a month for work. When new, my tesla would make the trip without stopping in all weather conditions.

Now, I have to supercharge to make it the last 30 miles on all trips, to make matters worse my charge rate has continued to drop at the SC. Adds 30 minutes or more per trip, making a long day even longer. It's range I'd really like to have back.

Reactions: HostileHarry
An update on my situation. The mileage kept dropping and at the same time I noticed it would not charge to the set limit. Today, I got the notice “Maximum battery charge level reduced” with an error code S_u018_Max_Charge. Others on this site stating their battery needed replacing after getting this message. Car has about 11k miles after 13months. Only about a dozen supercharged over that time span. Going to the service center tomorrow.

I received my MX-75D at 04.2018 Odometer is showing ~ 12000ml. Originally, for supercharged 100% was 234ml. Right now - for 100% it's only 220-223ml, depending from outside temperature. Used supecharged only, once per week and for the almost 21 month.

Last edited:
I received my MX-75D at 04.2018 Odometer is showing ~ 12000ml. Originally, for supercharged 100% was 234ml. Right now - for 100% it's only 220-223ml, depending from outside temperature. Used supecharged only, once per week and for the almost 21 month.

Only? That is 4.7% degradation which is very normal. Only cooler climates seem to be getting a bit better numbers than that.