Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X and S on 18650

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are X and S still on 18650?

a) Tesla designed the body for this size, 21700 won’t fit.. maybe hope it’s fixed in a refresh

b) It’s needed to reach the higher performance

c) Tesla has some kind of contractual promise to buy so many units. So they are just shoving them in S and X even though they aren’t as good as 21700

just mostly doing idle pondering on my side. It seems like the X battery is a lot behind what’s in the 3-Y, and wondering if there is a specific reason stopping the upgrade

1 - No competitor to Model S [Porsche Taycan is more than double the cost]
[Model X and eTron competitors]
2- Don't bother to fix what isn't broken
3 - upgrades don't come cheap vs what is the benefit? Will people pay more? Tesla lowers prices now - I thin best.

Tesla always seems to sell all they can make. Compare Tesla stock to ANY other car maker.

1 - No competitor to Model S [Porsche Taycan is more than double the cost]
[Model X and eTron competitors]
2- Don't bother to fix what isn't broken
3 - upgrades don't come cheap vs what is the benefit? Will people pay more? Tesla lowers prices now - I thin best.

Tesla always seems to sell all they can make. Compare Tesla stock to ANY other car maker.

sorry that wasn’t really answering my question. If you look at S and X sales they are now below 2019 level. Clearly the marketing is moving on and they need to do something to capture it.

An X is an option for my next car but already own a Y, and cannot imagine going to slower charge speed in my 2nd car that cost double my first.

I'm sure some sales hit were due to people anticipating a refresh. Every year people keep saying it is way overdue but last year with Elon confirming the Plaid it seems a sure thing. The new battery design has great potential, I am looking forward to actual numbers including charge times.

sorry that wasn’t really answering my question. If you look at S and X sales they are now below 2019 level. Clearly the marketing is moving on and they need to do something to capture it.

An X is an option for my next car but already own a Y, and cannot imagine going to slower charge speed in my 2nd car that cost double my first.

Model Y max charge speed =250kwh
Model X max charge speed =250kwh

got some hard numbers on another thread. Takes about 30% longer to charge a X from 10-70 vs a 3. Bigger pack but slower chemistry. If the X had the same chemistry or better than a 3, it could suck down 250 kw for a while.

p.a. Charge speeds are kw not kwh.

it's not that chemistry it's the cooling ability. (And cable size in the older models) Chemistry can be the same in any format of cell. It is the physical makeup of the pack. The 3 and Y packs can be cooled more easily than the S and X packs can. Hopefully the changes happening right now will address that problem.