Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X announcement on Stephen Colbert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the idea that the design studio will be up before the Colbert Show, and then Elon will show up on Colbert with an X to promote it.

-just too good an opportunity to pass up

-I think some have taken the ~"not show X until it's delivered" Elon comment too literally (I think it came up about 4 months ago with analysts, and was simply a "Back off from asking me about details on the X" statement to the 20 very assertive people he was on the phone with (and beyond), simply because certain details about the X are best kept quite as long as possible to avoid hurting S sales. Yes, they could try to keep it quiet a couple of weeks longer by not showing details on a design studio and/or on Colbert, but I suspect the upside of getting the studio up and all the coverage is worth it.)

- I think "reveal" for the X simply means the best way to help Tesla's mission as circumstances allow at the time (which Elon probably had no fixed idea of 4 months ago)... including the possibility of bits and pieces being shown over time, like on a design studio, on Colbert Show, and possibly an event passing out keys to Founder Series cars as well.

- as to why promote when they're supply constrained? they are looking to go 80-90K vehicles sold next year... that's a down from earlier suggestions of at least 100K in 2016. they have no way to know exactly what X demand will be or what its effect on S sales will be. the safest move is to error toward stoking demand... they've already exercised a demand stimulating option with the referral program

- for my WAG: X comes on stage. out pops, I don't know who, but there is a shot of a team of Tesla employees who've broken the cross country record for quickest LA to NY run for an EV by a wide margin. Elon highlights how the "awesome" backseats let the team members take turns sleeping virtually as if in a bed as they switched back and forth between driving duties and relaxing in the back. Calls the car the ultimate road trip vehicle to try to drive a stake through biggest remaining criticism on Teslas, and throws in how the SuperCharger network is even more robust than when the last Tesla LA to NY record was set less than a year ago.

Last edited:
Next WAG; Elon sitting on chair talking with Colbert. Out comes the X: Steve J., in Founder X #1 drives out. Scarlet in front seat. Downey junior pops out of falcon wing door. This is the reveal. Steve J gets his X delivered. Elon explains some new cool features. Party for rest of Founders and Sig date is announced.

Wow....I have way too much time on my hands!!! :wink:

No one seemed to notice when I wasn't online for a day.

Bonnie doesn't show up for 6 hours, suddenly she's got her car and is riding with a bunch of celebrities.

I feel unloved, and on top of that I've heard back from the TMC rewards catalog people -- ponies have been removed permanently.

Just can't catch a break.

Bonnie doesn't show up for 6 hours, suddenly she's got her car and is riding with a bunch of celebrities.

I feel unloved, and on top of that I've heard back from the TMC rewards catalog people -- ponies have been removed permanently.

I think you need a drink.

Ok, just fly out here and bring some of that low and slow bbq and we will love you to death!

My guess is that guests were arranged well in advance, and they thought Elon would be able to talk about the landed srage 1 and the Model X. Insteadthe conversation will be:
"What's new?"
"Oh, 90kWh pack, Ludicrous mode, Powerwall and Powerpack."
"Nothing major then?"
"No."
"Oh, OK. See you in a couple of years."
"OK, bye."

Ponies are just *so 6.0*. With 7.0 their replacements are Unicorns, borrowed from the TA investor thread.

I saw on Bonnie's FB page that you had 24 hours to accept the invitation to be in the reveal X on Colbert. Unfortunately, you were off the forums for 24 hours (Oh, the horror!:wink:) and your seat was given to Nigel instead. Scarlett was disappointed but *you snooze, you lose*...............:biggrin:

The show isn't live but tapes several hours earlier. He could present Stephen with his X then. Elon does a major reveal live on the web after taping, configurator goes live right after. Only problem with that is the show tapes in New York City, and Elon likes to do presentations on his home turf. He'd have to do his guest spot via satellite link, not something normally done on late shows. Still it is doable.

Edit - If the Concorde was still in service he could Phil Collins it across the continent.

Last edited:
The show isn't live but tapes several hours earlier. He could present Stephen with his X then. Elon does a major reveal live on the web after taping, configurator goes live right after. Only problem with that is the show tapes in New York City, and Elon likes to do presentations on his home turf. He'd have to do his guest spot via satellite link, not something normally done on late shows. Still it is doable.

nsi.jpg