Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X-Care Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a side note:
If your Tesla has over 100,000 miles on it, they don't have coverage for you:(
I had an Audi A4 with 170,000 miles that I was able to get an extended warranty for. It was expensive but it gave me peace of mind(ended up about breaking even on the cost vs repairs).

That's ALOT of miles man.

I think you gotta compare more or less apples to apples. In this case xcare gs tesla extended warranties.

I think xcare goes higher than 100k.
I think I saw 125k somewhere and more years?6.

It's great to want more but it's not a wish list.

We need to know which apple to pick from the ones on the table now.

Unfortunately, XCare does not cover over 100,000 miles. I applied for a quote and this is what was sent to me:

Hi David,
Thank you for reaching out! Unfortunately, we do not have warranty term options for S/X once they are already over 100k miles.
I am sorry we could not help!

If you get their warranty before you go over the magic number, it might go to 125k.
I got this messege yesterday so this is not outdated information.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Unfortunately, XCare does not cover over 100,000 miles. I applied for a quote and this is what was sent to me:

Hi David,
Thank you for reaching out! Unfortunately, we do not have warranty term options for S/X once they are already over 100k miles.

If you get their warranty before you go over the magic number, it might go to 125k.

Right. You have to buy it BEFORE ur at 100k miles or some lower number. I'm not sure. But it cam cover to 125k. If you so choose, not sure about that.
BUT with tesla you HAVE to buy it before you are out of factory warranty which is 50k miles.

Nothing.. its pretty simple, if your nearest Tesla service center is not within 50 miles away from you, then the car will get towed to the nearest Tesla service center.

We do this quite frequently, we don't argue semantics...
Thanks for your reply. I do however take issue with your implication I'm arguing semantics. The word may by definition does not imply will. Here's the dictionary definition of may.
"language note: May is a modal verb. It is used with the base form of a verb. ... You use may to indicate that there is a possibility that something is true, but you cannot be certain. [vagueness] Civil rights officials say there may be hundreds of other cases of racial violence"

Here's the link for your convenience. May definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary.

You might want to consider revising that reference just to clear up the semantics.

Thanks for your reply. I do however take issue with your implication I'm arguing semantics. The word may by definition does not imply will. Here's the dictionary definition of may.
"language note: May is a modal verb. It is used with the base form of a verb. ... You use may to indicate that there is a possibility that something is true, but you cannot be certain. [vagueness] Civil rights officials say there may be hundreds of other cases of racial violence"

Here's the link for your convenience. May definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary.

You might want to consider revising that reference just to clear up the semantics.

I agree. May is different than will.

It's language like that that frightens people.

If it means they will tow to the closest tesla service facility, and this policy is specifically made for tesla, then it should say clearly that they WILL to to closest tesla.

Shady indeed!

Question to xcare.

Can you buy a two year and then later on buy another two year etc? Or can you only buy once.
Please show in writing.

Tesla ESA extended warranty specifically states on site you can only buy once. So you cannot buy a two year and then upgrade it to a four year. Which seems silly.

Yes you can, so long as you have less than 100k (for S and X) or 125k (for 3) on the odometer and less than 10 years of age. we do not have limitations on that, however, our pricing is based on a matrix. Meaning, the younger the car, the lower the mileage, the cheaper the term. if you do 2 years now, and then 2 years later, it will cost you significantly more than just purchasing the 4 year ahead of time. X-Care is transferrable or can be cancelled for a pro-rated refund so there is an out where you don't have to sacrifice anything financially.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
I agree. May is different than will.

It's language like that that frightens people.

If it means they will tow to the closest tesla service facility, and this policy is specifically made for tesla, then it should say clearly that they WILL to to closest tesla.

Shady indeed!
We built X-Care with a focus on Tesla but then lumped in every other BEV for X-Care, so we have to account for every other electric vehicle on the market. So due to that, we need to account for all other EVs that do not have manufacture direct service models like Tesla has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpandes
We built X-Care with a focus on Tesla but then lumped in every other BEV for X-Care, so we have to account for every other electric vehicle on the market. not shady, just need to account for all other EVs that do not have service models like Tesla has.

Hi David,

To help clarify, we cover vehicles well over 100k miles, however, you would need to purchase the warranty while it is still eligible. For S/X, you must have less than 100k miles on the odometer (125k for Model 3) and less than 10 years of age, to be eligible to purchase a warranty term (that can cover your vehicle well past 100k).

My apologies, I was not meaning to implicate anything on your end, simply stating that we do not do so. We built X-Care with a focus on Tesla but brought in every other BEV (present and in the future) to be covered under X-Care. Due to the differences in service process between Tesla and other BEVs that get serviced through a franchise dealer and other 3rd parties, the wording was built to accommodate all. But since Tesla is unique, currently the only qualified service center is a Tesla service center (to us and to Tesla) so therefore we will tow a Tesla to the nearest Tesla Service center.

Of course, this could possibly change in the future if 3rd party service centers become qualified to work on Tesla, which currently, is an on-going battle in many states.

Reactions: KerryOH
My apologies, I was not meaning to implicate anything on your end, simply stating that we do not do so. We built X-Care with a focus on Tesla but brought in every other BEV (present and in the future) to be covered under X-Care. Due to the differences in service process between Tesla and other BEVs that get serviced through a franchise dealer and other 3rd parties, the wording was built to accommodate all. But since Tesla is unique, currently the only qualified service center is a Tesla service center (to us and to Tesla) so therefore we will tow a Tesla to the nearest Tesla Service center.

Of course, this could possibly change in the future if 3rd party service centers become qualified to work on Tesla, which currently, is an on-going battle in many states.

Question.

Does the xcare warranty have to be paid in one lump sum or there are monthly plans available?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Just a side note:
If your Tesla has over 100,000 miles on it, they don't have coverage for you:(
I had an Audi A4 with 170,000 miles that I was able to get an extended warranty for. It was expensive but it gave me peace of mind(ended up about breaking even on the cost vs repairs).

That's an outlier. I think 100k miles is pretty generous.

Hi there,

Just purchased a 2015 S 70 and got X-Care. I must say, I am extremely happy with their customer service!

My car threw all kinds of alerts and was inoperable a few days ago. I took it in to the service center (after telling X-care) and this is what they discovered. The prior owner had installed a subwoofer in the trunk and had drilled through the cabin under the front carpets to connect the wiring to the cars audio output. He had also not properly connected the wiring. We had heavy rain the last few days, and the front carpets were soaked and there was a question of water damage in the wiring system.

X-care informed me that the warranty would be voided, as the damage was caused by after market alterations that the contract clearly states are not allowed or covered (I had seen this in the contract but was unaware what the prior owner had done). They did agree to refund me the entire amount I had paid, instead of prorating it (I only had the policy for a few months so difference was fairly minimal but this was still a nice gesture).

The Tesla service folks removed all the after market wiring and determined there was, in fact, no water damage to anything but the carpets. Disconnecting his crappy wiring solved the problem of the alarm codes and the car now runs fine. They also plugged the holes in the floor boards that he had made.

I asked X-Care to consider allowing me to keep the warranty, since the after market alterations had been removed and the car now runs fine. I even offered to restart my 1 month, 1000 mile "no warranty coverage" period. The X-care rep talked to his manager who spoke directly to the Tesla service guys and confirmed the car was now running fine.

They agreed to reinstate the warranty and did not even make me go through a new one month waiting period. While I did have to pay for this service out of pocket myself (only $300), I feel that was reasonable given that the problem was caused by something clearly not covered under the warranty.

Overall, X-Care was prompt to help me start my claim, clear about why it wasn't initially covered but very professional, and then extremely flexible and reasonable in allowing me to reinstate the policy.

I had very little interest in purchasing a used Tesla out of warranty, and would have considered selling the car (for a big loss) had they been unwilling to reinstate the warranty. So, overall , I am very happy with their service

I was also hesitant to use them because of limited info online, but now have no regrets at all!

Can anyone provide recent info/reviews on their experience with X-Care? I have a 2017 MS 100D with about 9 months remaining on the factory warranty. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Tesla ESA 4-year/50k term or X-Care. The quote I received for X-Care (shoutout to Current Automotive for the help) is about $3600 for a 5-year/75k mile term or $4200 for a 7-year/75k mile term (vs $4750 for 4-year/50k Tesla ESA). Note that that is the price starting now (< 30,000 miles on the car) rather than at the expiration of the factory warranty, so reduce that effective term by ~ 9 months and 6000 miles as redundant coverage (overlapping the factory warranty) doesn't have any value. I drive < 10k miles/year so I'm leaning towards the 7-year/75k X-Care. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Jpandes
Yeah. Not many reviews out there. I actually just got out of factory warranty about 7k miles ago. About two months. I couldn't decide. So now my only choice is x-care.

Just don't know as I have only half year in lease which I may or may not buy out.

I think xcare actually gives you your money back, prorated, if you haven't used it. They read these comments so someone from xcare please comment.

Yeah. Not many reviews out there. I actually just got out of factory warranty about 7k miles ago. About two months. I couldn't decide. So now my only choice is x-care.

Just don't know as I have only half year in lease which I may or may not buy out.

I think xcare actually gives you your money back, prorated, if you haven't used it. They read these comments so someone from xcare please comment.

If you cancel then yes, there is a pro-rata refund. Or you can transfer to the next owner if you decide to sell the car. both options are on the table.