Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X-Care Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for this thread, I'm at 49,800 miles and was looking for an extended warranty.
I found a podcast called "EV-Resource"; episode 109 is a hour long interview with Brent and Milad from X-Care
I went to the X-Care website and ran a few what-if scenarios on their coverage calculator. One of many important facts is that the cost is not linear with vehicle mileage, it goes up in 10K mile increments, Thus if my car was at any mileage between 40,001 and 49,999 miles, a 4 year 50K mile policy was about $400 cheaper than if I let my car hit 50,001 miles!
So, after watching the podcast, and talking to them on the phone, for the first time in my life, I nave bought an extended vehicle warranty.
If you need one to, feel free to use my referral code: fa291919
XCare EV Virtual Townhall for our next townhall on 12/7 at 6pm Central Time

Do you offer coverage on the battery?
Great question, hope you don't mind me "cutting in" with some help! XCare is priced lowest for lower starting miles, and is priced based on remaining factory warranty, so you never pay for coverage you are not using. On average, a Model 3/Y owner who drives average miles (12,500 per year) will save between $800 and $1400 purchasing their coverage at new vehicle delivery time as compared to equivalent coverage purchased at the end of the factory warranty. So a 10year/125k warranty purchased when the vehicle is new (basically a six year/75k miles extension) will fit this scenario perfectly. If you are a high miles-per-year driver, the savings are even greater. www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare (and make sure to scroll down the page before using the calculator for great info/FAQs, etc. Cheers! Brent

Reactions: The Batman
It seems like they will be offering a battery/drive unit warranty "soon":

Thanks for the link..

My thought is since the current battery from Tesla is 8 yrs / 100K miles then purchasing anything over the 8/100 for an extended warranty doesn't make sense (If your a person who like to have all major components covered)

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Really glad I found this thread as Tesla doesn't allow ESA for 2021+ cars. Even though my vehicle only has 7k miles on the clock for 3k can get a 10 year warranty which I think would be great for resale value if nothing else. Gonna give them a call tomorrow and pick this up. If you guys think this is expensive you have no idea how much other warranties cost lol. I'm about to extend my Power Warranty for the last 2 years on my 458 Italia and I think its around 12k for ONLY engine/powertrain. So honestly when I see pricing like this its a complete no brainer

most of their verbiage on the website is focused around having a car serviced at a Tesla Service Center. What if you want to take it to an independent shop? Or if you have modifications that would prevent Tesla from working on it themselves? Like, aftermarket, suspension, upgraded, brakes, etc?

For @Gadget-X and @Aggmeister2010
  • Backed by 'A' rated insurance company
  • 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
  • Works around Tesla Service
  • Accepted by Electrified Garage
  • Accepted by any ASE licensed mechanic
Just to clarify, because I'm in the process of making my first X-care claim: 3rd party ASE-certified mechanics may or may not accept direct payment from XCare. If they don't, then the arrangement is that XCare will reimburse the warranty holder directly, meaning that you have to pay the shop in full, submit the invoice to XCare and then wait for a check.

When you start a claim, the communication you receive will be all about getting the work done at a Tesla Service Center. However, XCare does seem to be very accommodating about getting the work done elsewhere, and they offer to make it easy for the 3rd party to accept credit card payment over the phone.

It’s supposed to be available end of first quarter this year (next month) from what I’ve been told.

Sweet. That’s the thing I’m most looking forward to. I intend to buy an x care warranty when my factory one runs out, same story for battery and DU. TBH if so many components weren’t serial-locked to your VIN with limited access to the Toolbox software, these cars would be a breeze to work on…but alas…

@WallysRide Also true that most Tesla service outlets will not work with non-Tesla warranties. But, as you say, you are the middleman for sending service estimates to XCare, and approving the work back to Tesla -- and perhaps even payment, which would be reimbursed by XCare

Sounds like most non-factory extended warranties. Do we know for sure they won't work directly with Tesla service centers directly or you basically need to do the facilitation. I've had both types of extended warranties where the company paid the service center directly and ones where I had to get reimbursed. Now obviously nobody wants to shell out the money first but as long as there prompt with repayment I don't see the big deal.. Tomorrow I'll be calling them to inquire about a bunch of things and prob order an extended warranty as its relatively cheap now that I have low miles and 2.75 years still left on the bumper to bumper.

Sounds like most non-factory extended warranties. Do we know for sure they won't work directly with Tesla service centers directly or you basically need to do the facilitation. I've had both types of extended warranties where the company paid the service center directly and ones where I had to get reimbursed. Now obviously nobody wants to shell out the money first but as long as there prompt with repayment I don't see the big deal.. Tomorrow I'll be calling them to inquire about a bunch of things and prob order an extended warranty as its relatively cheap now that I have low miles and 2.75 years still left on the bumper to bumper.
Several folks have reported the service will not fool with 3rd party warranties. Most of the time you would just need to relay the estimate and approval response. I'd say unless it was cumbersome, the service will accept the credit card x-care would give to them. Maybe not. Each service center is likely a bit different. I would have no problem charging the repair and getting reimbursed from x-care. I have not enrolled yet...waiting to see battery and drive motor coverage. One thing that will definitely save money is the $100 deductible instead of Tesla $200 per service event. That adds up quickly.

Reactions: JBT66 and Fazooley
Several folks have reported the service will not fool with 3rd party warranties. Most of the time you would just need to relay the estimate and approval response. I'd say unless it was cumbersome, the service will accept the credit card x-care would give to them.
That is how they have done it, but I thought that now they issue you a prepaid card that they load with money when they approve your claim.

Spoke with Brent the other day and signed up for a 10/100k mile warranty which for me will prob do nothing but I think for resale it's extremely positive. If I wind up selling back to a dealer and purchase another car from them to save the tax I'll just get a prorated refund. Considering I still have 30 months left on the factory warranty its a no brainer either way. AMTrust is a rather large brand and I think in the short term everyone is AOK, will they be around 10 years from now well that I'm not too sure of lol.. But for 3k its not too bad of a gamble

Planning on same 10 year warranty on my 2020 MSP. Mileage is of no importance as I am around 2K a year. Agree on Amtrust. I was only correcting the EXACT rating. Plan on the MSP being my last vehicle. Wanted the Plaid but with current posts looks like I am better off with MSP. Always want the fastest but nowadays I never use it.

M