Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X App Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TWTR stuff struck me as being flippin huge. I can't find the source, but somewhere out there, I think in an interview, Elon discussed X.com and the direction it was being taken, different than what he envisioned. He suggested that X.com could have been the largest player in financial transactions.

Paypal. Visa, apple pay, all of it rolled into one. Zelle.

Elon friends with Jack.
Jack knows TWTR.
Perhaps Jack might think out of the "box" about payments? Might Jack know about this world some and share it with Elon, who also knows that world some.

Elon said TWTR could accelerate X.com mission by several years, that was the value, but he could build from the ground up.

HUGE. Made me consider buying in.

Anyone find the link? I dare the Utuber that gets a video out first with this reference to give me credit for your next topic...

Here it one of them from 2008 - - 26 seconds into the clip on evolution of Paypal. I recall hearing Elon telling this story on multiple occasions.

"
I want to do something more on the internet and it seemed to me that they hadn't been all that much innovation in the financial sector
and given that money is kind of a just an entry in a database and it was low bandwidth he said it didn't require some big infrastructure upgrade to the Internet it seemed it should lend itself to innovation

so try to think of what could be you know what were something compelling it could be done I thought well if we can combine all all types of financial services in one so you have like the mortgages or like basically all your your entire financial relationship seamlessly integrated together in one place online that would be cool

and then there was a little feature that just seemed like an obvious feature which was ability to transfer money from one person to another but by entering unique identifiers like a email address

"

A interview with Max Chafkin. From the 2008 Inc. 5000 conference.

Max: I was hoping you could sort of share with us kind of what
your vision was from the beginning?

Elon: Well it certainly evolved over time initially the eyesomething more on the internet
well after slings up

I want to do something more on the internet and it
seemed to me that they hadn't been all that much innovation in the financial
sector

and given that money is kind of a just an entry in a database and it was
low bandwidth he said it wouldn't didn't require some big infrastructure upgrade
to the Internet it seemed it should lend itself to innovation so try to think of
what could be you know what were something compelling it could be done

and I thought well if we can combine all all types of financial services in one
so you have like the mortgages or like basically all your your entire financial
relationship seamlessly integrated together in one place online that would be cool

and then there was a little feature that just seemed like an obvious
feature which was ability to transfer money from one person to another but by
entering unique identifiers like a email address there was like this is sort of a little feature

but then whenever we demonstrate the product people wouldn't
get excited about the consolidated financial services but they would get
excited about emailing money so he's sort of focusing on our energy on that
and that really ended up being the big driver of growth

right so it sort of went from a super bank I think that's what the media call yeah like a super
financial services thing yeah - to really narrowly focusing on email payments

so although I should point out that actually a lot of people aren't
aware that a lot of success of PayPal is due to the underlying financial services
that are there such as the money market fund which is one of the highest
yielding in fact I think the highest yielding in the country

and the fact
that there's a PayPal debit card that's which operates off the MasterCard system
so you can you have it you can buy things you know buy things in the real
world and get cash from an ATM that directly taps into your in to PayPal
account those are actually very important to the papers model right sue

X.com was Elon’s original vision to revolutionize the entire financial industry. He never came remotely close to fulfilling that vision, but he did make hundreds of millions when one piece of it — PayPal— succeeded.

Based on his comment at the annual meeting, he still wants to completely disrupt the financial industry with X.com. He hasn’t let that vision go. Anyone here surprised by that?

In trying to disrupt an uncountable number of industries, simultaneously, Elon is likely to have many spectacular failures. But he’s also demonstrated an uncanny ability to carve out spectacular successes.

As a TSLA investor, I’m not too concerned about his other ventures. Yes, Twitter would take away some of his attention to Tesla (and X.com even more so) but c’mon, the guy already has way too much on his plate, but he’s built a strong team to keep Tesla on its dizzying trajectory.

As an Elon observer, and someone who believes that disruption is desirable and possible, I couldn’t be more excited to watch how this all plays out. There has never, ever ever, been a disruptor as potent as Elon before. And he’s just getting started. Both his failures and successes are going to be epic.

All banking. He will finally finish X.com to his initial vision when he started it in the 1990s. Also, it won't just be "money transfer", it'll be all online and in person payments. Might as well throw in authentication in there too. No more passwords, use your x.com account and a phone with bluetooth proximity to authenticate anything online and offline.

It will be a crazy couple of years as existing twitter developers who are anti-Elon due to perceived politics will quit/be fired while others will want to work on developing the next big mega app for the Internet.

I imagine he'll integrate with Block/Square

Re Block / Square:
It will be much more advanced than that. Right now in several markets the authentication happens with biometric (often visual) authentication. Right now even US Immigration with Global Entry does not even usually require presenting a passport, Brazil has done that for some time, but do require passport scanning also. I have two bank accounts right now that are accessed with visual ID.

He will have a much broader product line than has been discussed here.

With better Twitter ID he can pretty much eliminate bots and other abuses, including prohibited speech. No mystery, one can allow pretty open speech if the haters cannot hide or deny.

We are close to Tesla being able to directly ID authorized users for, say, supercharging of non-Tesla. The x.com integration opens the world of subscription, purchases and financial services with advantages and risk mitigation building directly from Tesla Insurance learning.

This sort of semi-universal service model was being conceived in the early 1980's by the same people who were in the Silicon Valley think tanks then. There is no doubt in my mind that this is his vision.

He said as much in 1998/1999. Nobody believed him. Peter Thiel was just greedy, secretly sold him out, so Elon became wealthier and did SpaceX, Tesla, and lots of AI. Now he's taken the last key. Twitter, as such, is not transformational at all. It does handily sidestep a huge recruitment lag.

I think a big problem to solve is micropayments so you can pay, say, 1 cent to read an article or watch a video instead of having a subscription to the particular site. Perhaps Twitter can facilitate something like that. Part of the Twitter sub is getting $N worth of credits that you can use for premium content. So instead of having to sign up for a bunch of things, Twitter serves as an aggregator. You pay Twitter and they pay the content providers.

Further comment:
1669384589777.png

Firefox OS - Wikipedia is discontinued, I didn't know anything about it but found this from wikipedia interesting (bold italics is my emphasis). Further reading seems to suggest getting cost of phone down (to $25 in 2013-6) was a motivator for some supporters. So the relevance for X.com might be anything app, running on cheap hardware, everywhere. Identity might be X.com rather than Google (Android). Allows other form factors (glasses, watches). See if Elon comments on it

Comparison with Android​

Firefox OS used the Linux kernel like Android does. Firefox OS used the Gecko engine on top of the Linux kernel to render the screen output. Apps were written using HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript—all three being cooperative languages used in making internet webpages. In essence, apps on Firefox OS were web apps and the OS could be thought of as a Web browser that stored content off-line. On the other hand, Android's apps are coded in Java using Android Studio. Android also enjoys greater maturity and support. Despite these differences, Firefox OS did feature all the essentials required to use a smartphone.[74][75] Firefox launched its first official device in Germany in 2014, which was an Alcatel One Touch Fire. The device had a 3.5” HVGA screen, Cortex A5 processor, 256MB RAM, and 512MB storage. As of December 2015, Mozilla had launched 12 smartphones across 24 countries.[76]

Criticisms​

Chris Ziegler of the technology website The Verge wrote that Firefox OS would take app distribution to the pre-iPhone era, requiring application developers to deal with multiple carriers and their app stores.[77][78] At the Mobile World Congress, Mozilla's CEO Gary Kovacs said that Firefox OS has the advantage that users need not install an app to use it. Mozilla sought to make the most of this with the search functionality built into Firefox OS, a core feature of the platform.[79]

Janne Lindqvist, a mobile security researcher at the Rutgers University WINLAB, expressed concern about the discovery mechanism of a Web-based platform, but a Mozilla spokesperson stated that Mozilla required developers to "package downloadable apps in a zip file that has been cryptographically signed by the store from which it originated, assuring that it has been reviewed." In addition, "apps coming back from search are given only limited access to device programming interfaces and applications, unless the user grants permission for further access."

Elon hasn't mentioned x.com for a few weeks. He mentioned here that Twitter would be like WeChat and include payments etc. Not sure which will be the everything app as the roadmap could be to add certain things on Twitter first and go further on X.

All of our thoughts and the open discussions at Twitter by Elon present a much more limited view of X.com than Elon had back in ~1990's.
Things not discussed:
-investment banking- specifically the underwriting and distribution of securities. This could very well begin with suppliers to Musk-related companies, many of which may be relatively small private firms, others majors. All pay egregiously for investment banking services.
-brokerage plus widely varied deposit-like products. That was explicitly targeted by several of the Fintechs around the world. Even the most successful (e.g. Nubank, Tinkoff Credit Services [perhaps no longer, it was dominating Russian payment systems growth in the 2000-2010era] and others worldwide. For payments directly the original model was Mpesa.

This list goes on, but the shorthand is always 'payments' with consumer as the example. Describing the overall goals is to confuse things by imagining something like setting up a bank on Mars, i.e. understate the goals and focus on the achievable right now.