Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X coming back soon from Body Shop - Insurance Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - it will be almost 2 months since our X was front ended while parked in the parking lot with the other (big rig truck) driver 100% liable. External bumper, hood, and side fender damage looked vicious but there was no serious internal frame damage assessed. The body shop is finishing up the body and paint work and is targeting return of the car late next week.

Question - I understand that I need to request a 'diminished value' payout from the insurance company and that there is a process. Is there anything else unique that I should be considering as well aside from getting the car back and signing off on the insurance paperwork? Should I be requesting that insurance covers purchase of the Tesla Extended Service Plan? My concern is that our Teslas are not ordinary 'cars' and may require some special treatment (whether that be a good or a bad thing)

thanks in advance for any tips or feedback

+1 I used St Lucie for DV on S $400 netted $$$$$ in DV ;)

That has to be a typo. I did a DV claim on my Volvo a few years ago and it cost me $350 for the DV guy to do this thing. He determend that my Volvo had lost $4k in value and Geico battled me, ended up setteling for $3k

Insurance companies do not have to pay DV and a lot of them do not so be prepaired for a battle.

Reactions: P85_DA
Hi! Can you provide some detail on how lengthy the whole process was? Weeks of back and forth? Several Days off for court? Thanks

We were battling Progressive on the DV claim and Progressive is reputed to be one of the most hostile insurance companies regarding DV claims. We submitted our DV claim for about $6000 and they countered with something absurd, like $500. We volleyed back and forth for a while until it was obvious that they were insistent upon being absurdly miserly. We then filed in small claims court. From that point, there were a variety of delays. It took a month or two for the constable to get around to serving them. Then court dates were delayed by them for one reason or another, by our attorney due to schedule conflicts, by the court, you name it. It was about 18 to 24 months after the accident before we actually had our jury trial, which lasted an hour or so. The jury found 100% in our favor and awarded us exactly what we were asking. During the trial, the only defense the insurance company could offer was that we weren't entitled to diminished value because we hadn't yet sold the car. The only work missed was half a day for court, including travel time. (The accident occurred in an adjacent county, so the courthouse was about 40 minutes from home.)

PM me if you want any additional details and I'll be glad to give you chapter and verse.

• Informative
Reactions: xKRSx and K3Man