Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X free charging , will it return.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The benefit of free Supercharging varies for everyone - I've had the X for 1 year as of the 10th.. Started using TeslaFi two weeks after I got it, so, there are some charges missing, but, I've saved over $1k in electricity costs by not charging at home.. And, on the other hand, I've saved almost $1500 in Supercharging fees...

2020-07-12.png

I'm just under 7200 miles on the X, so, I'm sure had I driven more in the last year, the savings would have been closer to $1500.

It is worth pennies when you compare it to the Model X price. Unless you're doing 300+ miles a day everyday forever then it's simply something to just not care about.
I've had my Tesla for 1.5 years and I've only supercharged 54 times for ~$200.

Pennies? Maybe for you, but not for me. Much of the cost depends on where you live and what you pay for electricity. In the San Francisco bay area where I was paying a ridiculous amount of money for electricity before recently moving (almost the highest in the nation), I saved $2,750 in my 26,900 of driving in the last 3 years. While it isn't a big percentage of the car cost, it isn't pennies either :)

Pennies? Maybe for you, but not for me. Much of the cost depends on where you live and what you pay for electricity. In the San Francisco bay area where I was paying a ridiculous amount of money for electricity before recently moving (almost the highest in the nation), I saved $2,750 in my 26,900 of driving in the last 3 years. While it isn't a big percentage of the car cost, it isn't pennies either :)

yup agree.. awesome perk since its a lifetime unlimited for the life of the car :)

Nope. Siri uses it sometimes. I know you love to think you are right.
Actually both uses are correct. Dear, ignore the other people that only have a purpose to attempt to correct everyone else, especially when they are wrong. and yes, more grammar cops than people knowing about the Tesla. I use the ignore button for them.

Actually both uses are correct. Dear, ignore the other people that only have a purpose to attempt to correct everyone else, especially when they are wrong. and yes, more grammar cops than people knowing about the Tesla. I use the ignore button for them.
yes Pat. We are getting off the topic. Blame me for that ;) I've often said that TMC is sort of like watching a Clint Eastwood movie. A combination of Good, Bad, and Ugly. Fortunately we have most really good, smart, helpful people. For the Ugly where folks just want to be snippy, I use the ignore button. My list grows every week.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. A friend in the bay area also wonders if free lifetime supercharging will return at some point. He is constantly on the road across the state. He thinks it can save him $700 a year.

I also heard the quote from Elon where he said FUSC is "not a great incentive structure" and wasn't quite sure how to interpret that. Not great for who... the customer or Tesla?

As a customer with FUSC and also the ability to charge at home I have to disagree that it's not valuable. I understand the argument that compared to the total cost of a vehicle the occasional spending on Supercharging will be minor. However, I think there's a major customer experience upgrade with Free Supercharging. I use it on every long road trip and I never have to think about it. I would personally be annoyed if I had to see a $10, $12, or $20 charge for every stop at a SC. It just adds to the magic of the EV experience by hiding those costs, even if minor.

If the lifetime costs related to supercharging are so low like everyone says, then why would Tesla get rid of it? It would seem to me the perceived benefit to the customer is greater than what it should cost Tesla to offer it. It's actually one of the things holding me back from buying a second Tesla.. the thought of not having FUSC as a perk is a major bummer.

I also heard the quote from Elon where he said FUSC is "not a great incentive structure" and wasn't quite sure how to interpret that.

It's not great because it incentivizes people to use Superchargers when they don't need to, thus clogging them up. (i.e. when they could charge at home, but want to get the full benefit of FUSC so they charge at the Supercharger exclusively.)

Reactions: mmanner
It's not great because it incentivizes people to use Superchargers when they don't need to, thus clogging them up. (i.e. when they could charge at home, but want to get the full benefit of FUSC so they charge at the Supercharger exclusively.)

Yup.

We have FUSC on the Model X we just purchased; it still charges at home. I've supercharged it once, just to make sure everything is setup correctly. We're embarking on a long road trip in August, and will use it extensively then... but that's what it's designed for. At home, in the area, plugged in at home is the way it'll go.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The benefit of free Supercharging varies for everyone - I've had the X for 1 year as of the 10th.. Started using TeslaFi two weeks after I got it, so, there are some charges missing, but, I've saved over $1k in electricity costs by not charging at home.. And, on the other hand, I've saved almost $1500 in Supercharging fees...

2020-07-12.png

I'm just under 7200 miles on the X, so, I'm sure had I driven more in the last year, the savings would have been closer to $1500.
How can you get this information?
I have Tesla X with FUSC and don't see the SC records.

Reactions: 1 person