TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

X has dimples

Discussion in 'Model X' started by flyhigh123, Sep 9, 2016.

1. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

Anyone notice the dimples on the front bumper just below the tesla logo... I thought maybe mine was a fluke in manufacturing but i was at the dealership dropping it off for repairs and mentioned it. We walked to a few other X's and they all had the dimples. I guess that's just the way it is. i guess i'll call it "cute"

2. ApauloThirteen

Aero like golf balls or strange looking bike time trial helmets maybe.....o_O

3. number12

number12 Member

That's 2.0 hardware. They are called radars

4. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Wow, good news for you, new hardware. My early model has no dimples, but my dog does.
    IMG_0073.JPG

• Like x 1
  5. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Are you talking about the dimples where the screws go for the front license plate?

6. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60 Vin 180XX. Reverved 8/11/2016

Can we get a picture of these dimples? You may have just cracked this AP2.0 case wide open!

7. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Yes, this is mine w/o plate. So wondering what dimples look like compared to this.

Attached Files:

8. number12

number12 Member

Id like partial credit

9. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I'm not sure if we're seeing the same thing or not. I noticed my X has a slight concave depression in the exact center of the front valence below the T logo (only one, which is why I'm not 100% sure if it's the same thing.)

I worried about it after I saw it, but then I found it in a bunch of photos online. I'm not 100% certain if it is on all cars, but it's subtle enough to be easily missed (I happened to be going back and forth downhill of the car, and caught the distortion of reflected objects on the ground.)

It appears to be a deliberate and common feature. My speculation is that this is where the radar is mounted and they wanted a more perpendicular face for it, but I could easily be wrong. I don't think it'll have a significant impact aerodynamically, and I can't think of another reason to have it.

11. number12

number12 Member

Where are you at Op?

Picture? VIN? Date built?

12. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Well, you definitely have the subtle depression I was talking about - see the way the parking space line narrows under the T, then changes direction?

13. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

This may be a common distortion in all cars. Mine is from March and if you look at the reflection of the car you will notice a widening just below the logo on the nose. IMG_4675 (Large).JPG

14. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

#14 flyhigh123, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    My car is at tesla right now. For u go to your X look under the tesla logo on the front bumper maybe 1 inch to left and right, there are two slight indentations. Some are more pronounced then others.

Mine depresses on each side about the size of a dime. Barely noticeable but at the right angle it stands out like a sore thumb.

Sorry no pics.

Aesculus has it right.

Ontop of that don't get me started on another imperfection that is a defect that no one has caught on to. I'm tall so I caught it but it's one of those once you see it it'll drive u nuts. I told tesla to fix it on my car.