Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X hit by 17 year old kid who just got his license, what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 1 year old X w/ FUSC and FSD got smashed by another car a few days ago. All airbags were deployed. Here's a video of the accident in case you are interested:
piper pl. car accident

My questions are:
1) The adjuster that came out, said due to the high value of the car he can't total it, and it's going to get fix. He proceeds do an estimate and thinks it will cost 30k. In browsing the forums, I see some other X's in accidents much less than this and and their cost to fix is 20k already. Looking at these photos does this look like a repair job or a total? The frame to the trunk is bent, as well as FWD on both sides.

2) I called the Pomona Tesla Body shop and they won't even take the vehicle until October as they are at capacity. I called 5 other local tesla approved shops, and some don't do structural damage and some are at capacity until Oct as well. So is the only option I have now is to wait it out until Oct, for Tesla to do a full tear down and proper estimate?

IMG_7422.jpg
IMG_7423.jpg
IMG_7402.jpg
IMG_7404.jpg
IMG_7405.jpg
IMG_7407.jpg
IMG_7410.jpg
IMG_7412.jpg
IMG_7413.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and T-Mom
I feel for you. Five Tesla locations and non can take your car? That's ridiculous. Sounds like you're going to wait 2-3 months before you can get the car back. They should have taken your car and give you another MX loaner while waiting.

Every time I read a thread like this, I want to cancel my MX order while I still can.

I feel for you.

Every time I read a thread like this, I want to cancel my MX order while I still can.

Just DO IT! You will thank yourself later for it. If you really want a Tesla, buy one after 3-5 years if the company survives. As a stock holder, I want it to survive and do well, but as an MX customer I feel like it will not stay afloat for very long. Most likely the tech will be bought out by one of the biggies.

Don't. Driving a Tesla and and especially the X has brought me so much happiness. You know what care i'm getting if they total it? Another X. No questions.

Yes it sucks that 5 body shops won't take my car, but nothing drives better with the current tech.

Sorry to hear about the accident OP. I think that the adjuster is on crack. It will be much more money, and much more time, than you think.

It seems aggressive, but I think that your best bet might be: (1) buy a new ModelX; (2) then sell the old one once it's fixed up or totaled.

Make sure that you make his insurance company pay you diminished value if they fix it. Make them pay you $100/day every day that it's in the shop, too.

Reactions: CSFTN
Don't. Driving a Tesla and and especially the X has brought me so much happiness. You know what care i'm getting if they total it? Another X. No questions.

Yes it sucks that 5 body shops won't take my car, but nothing drives better with the current tech.

Sorry, but the MX doesn't drive better than an Audi or BMW X5. What makes Teslas cool is the tech. Those of us who drive the MX, at least the pre-Raven ones, know very well that it does not drive like an SUV should. The ride is rough, but the tech makes me overlook that. And for those of us with the damn shudder issue, good luck cos I doubt Tesla is ever going to fix this.

If Tesla doesn't up its game in the build quality department & service, it's only a matter of time before the biggies catch up on the tech and end Tesla's appeal. Not every Tesla owner is an environmentalist, so EV or no EV doesn't matter to a lot many people than die-hard Tesla fans think.

Waymo is already ahead in the tech game, they even have approval from California DMV to operate 30 or so vehicles without any driver inside the cars in some of its counties! Once they are ready to license their tech to the highest bidder, Tesla-like tech will be in pretty much all the vehicles of the car maker that wins Waymo tech license. The big companies are already better at building cars owing to their decades of experience.

1) The adjuster that came out, said due to the high value of the car he can't total it, and it's going to get fix.
He proceeds do an estimate and thinks it will cost 30k.
In browsing the forums, I see some other X's in accidents much less than this and and their cost to fix is 20k already.
Looking at these photos does this look like a repair job or a total?
The frame to the trunk is bent, as well as FWD on both sides.
Hi, I feel very sorry for your accident. I hope no body get injured.
I looked at the video, the car that hit you was parked on the wrong side.

Even if you don't suffer, you and any of the passengers should get examined by a doctor.
Symptomes occurs often after few days.

I would recommend looking for a lawyer, insurances will always try to minimise loses.
In particular, because of liabilities, it will be very difficult to sale your car to Tesla or any dealer.
So you need to contact a diminished value expert.

Do you have a copy of a preliminary estimate?
How far are you located from any Tesla authorised body shop.
I would recommend to get at least two other preliminary estimates from other Tesla authorised body shop to save time any money.

When your car will be sent to a body shop, it might take weeks before the car will be examined in detail.
It would takes then several months to get the parts and then to get repaired and painted.
If the car is considered to be auctioned, there will be a $300 charge a day by the body shop until the car will get removed.

I would be very skeptical that your car could be repaired for $30k.
I can send you a $20k estimate I had for replacing my Model 3 bumper, trunk door, and rear wheelhouse.
My car was still drivable and there was no airbags deployed.

You can look at some Tesla Model X with have been actioned for far less damages:

In particular this 2018 Model X 100D looks similar to the damaged you have.

vid34909377_uid5d5f73063af01.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a copy of a preliminary estimate?
How far are you located from any Tesla authorised body shop.
I would recommend to get at least two other preliminary estimates from other Tesla authorised body shop to save time any money.

When your car will be sent to a body shop, it might take weeks before the car will be examined in detail.
It would takes then several months to get the parts and then to get repaired and painted.
If the car is considered to be auctioned, there will be a $300 charge a day by the body shop until the car will get removed.

I do have a preliminary estimate, they think it's 30k. I'm in S. Ca so close to a few shops, but prefer to take it to the official tesla body shop. In fact some tesla approved body shops don't even do structural work.